Sign in to follow this  
Dandy_Sephy

Darkstalkers Resurrection (ports, not new game)

XBLA/PSN port of Darkstalkers 2/Vampire Hunter and Darkstalkers 3/Vampire Savior. GGPO, visual filters, replay sharing and youtube uploading.

'2013' $15/1200MS

It's being used as a test for DS4

• Upvote 1

I'll probably buy it but I doubt I'l even play it. I just don't have the time to commit to fighters any more. Also, Bunta brings up a good point of the next Xbox. I mean, it's years away before I get one obviously, but I'm not selling my Saturn versions just in case.

I really liked Iron Galaxy's handling of SF3: 3rd Strike Online Edition, so I'll be interested in this too. Quite happy that the trailer suggests the inclusion of a training mode of sorts as well; I'm obsessed with training modes because I'm simply incapable of figuring things out for myself.

I don't know much about the Darkstakers games; which games have been omitted here? Are we getting Darkstalkers 1 and 3? Did those games have weird subtly improved versions like Street Fighter did? Am I going to be confused by all of this because of bizarrely different names in different regions? How many combos are there in the game?

Looks like we're getting 2 and 3, non? I don't think there are different names in different regions. I couldn't tell you the differences between versions as I only play as Anakaris and just do that annoying grabby move over and over to wind up my gf.

• Upvote 1

I don't know much about the Darkstakers games; which games have been omitted here? Are we getting Darkstalkers 1 and 3? Did those games have weird subtly improved versions like Street Fighter did? Am I going to be confused by all of this because of bizarrely different names in different regions? How many combos are there in the game?

My memory is hazy to the point of maybe being totally wrong, but if I think really hard back to the days of Sega Saturn Magazine, I believe that Darkstalkers 1 is like Street Fighter Alpha - in that you would probably never want to play it when you have Street Fighter Alpha 2, whereas Darkstalkers 3 was a totally new game on CPS3 hardware. Anyway, that's a long way of saying that it probably isn't much of a problem missing out Darkstalkers 1.

Darkstalkers was interesting because it was the crazy kooky fighting game where Capcom tried out many things that eventually found their way into Street Fighter - such as air blocking and the "create-a-combo" thing. Personally I was never a fan of it because it's just so off the wall - like you press medium kick and your character grabs a donkey from offscreen who twats the other player with a streetsign held in its mouth.

If the conversion is good, I'll buy it because I'll probably play it for a week or so, and because I want to support good conversions of older titles, but if it's a poor conversion I'll be steering clear.

Personally I was never a fan of it because it's just so off the wall - like you press medium kick and your character grabs a donkey from offscreen who twats the other player with a streetsign held in its mouth.

Isn't that Pocket Fighter?

I love Pocket Fighter.

Another way to wind up my gf is to play SSFIV, pick Rose and do lots of slide->grab. It's the 'wuuuh' noise that accompanies the grab that pisses her off the most.

She doesn't play fighty games with me any more :(

Hmm, the article posted in The Best Thread said it was 1 and 3. 2 and 3 makes more sense. Not having the Japanese updates for 2 and 3 makes less sense.

Joffo:

Western / Eastern names are as follows:

Darkstalkers 1 / Vampire: The Night Warriors

Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge / Vampire Hunter: Darkstalker's Revenge

Darkstalkers 3 / Vampire Savior: Lord of the Vampire

Not confusing AT ALL.

Japanese arcades then got Vampire Hunter 2 and Vampire Savior 2, both of which were updates to Vampire Savior: Lord of the Vampire. These never officially made it to the west because the game was probably dead and buried by then.

Oh and yeah, that sounds like Pocket Fighter to me.

Another way to wind up my gf is to play SSFIV, pick Rose and do lots of slide->grab. It's the 'wuuuh' noise that accompanies the grab that pisses her off the most.

"Are you alright?"

Anyway, this looks quite exciting, although if I buy it I will probably hardly ever play it. My brain can't really cope with fighting games that don't work roughly the same as SFII.

I'd say it sits somewhere between SF and the the vs games in terms of feel / what the fuck is going on. They're good fun. There never was a decent scene for it when it was in the arcades over here though, everyone was still playing ST.

I think it only really ever got a thorough work out in Japan, here's some rare footage of Daigo seemingly without a care in the world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSVR7vPLWV0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni52bj037GE

Oh, yeah - maybe. Character names between regions are on a whole other level of fuck, they're all wildly different. I'm not going to go there.

Are they? Haha I assumed they were all the same as there are no Mike Tyson lawsuits to worry about. I clearly know nothing about Darkstalkers. I love Darkstalkers.

Doesn't look like Darkstalkers 3 was a CPS3 game after all. It does look very impressive though, with all those move-specific hit animations and stuff. I can see why people would want a new Darkstalkers game to be sprite based. Other than desperately wanting to make that Morrigan sprite lol joke again.

Eurogamer are listing this as 1600MSP, which is the same as JoJo (bet that sold well :wacko: )

It probably did big numbers in Japan.

I'll probably still get it at 1600. I'll wait for JoJo and Oranges to come down though.

I bought Jojo's at full price and played it one day for half an hour. At one point I had to play through some awful section in the story mode that was a bit Mortal Kombat Mythologies and I turned it off. I also went into Forbidden Planet looking for the comic, but they only had the third one so I didn't buy it. Also I probably wouldn't have bothered buying the first one if they'd had that anyway.

I like Darkstalkers, but I probably won't be buying this. Barely played most of the fighters I bought through XBLA, and I despise companies claiming to be 'judging interest' with a rerelease. Even if you try to support the franchise with a purchase, Joe Pleb doesn't care and if there's enough Joe Plebs, you don't get a new game at the end of it.

Joe Pleb doesn't care and if there's enough Joe Plebs, you don't get a new game at the end of it.

That's not how you spell it, but yeah, I don't care that much.

• Upvote 3

Releasing old HD versions to test the waters for a new game is a terrible idea, surely, especially if they're relatively niche games like this which hardly anyone has heard of. Double especially if you then charge way over what is a reasonable price.

Eurogamer are listing this as 1600MSP, which is the same as JoJo (bet that sold well :wacko: )

Yep, EG that we'll known benchmark for accuracy...

The price is 1200, 1600 was the original mistaken price was was quickly corrected on other sites.

Doesn't look like Darkstalkers 3 was a CPS3 game after all. It does look very impressive though, with all those move-specific hit animations and stuff. I can see why people would want a new Darkstalkers game to be sprite based. Other than desperately wanting to make that Morrigan sprite lol joke again.

DS is cps2 only. There are only 6 cp3 games, three versions of SFIII, two Jojo and Warzard/Red Earth. Then they moved to Naomi which was vastly superior to cps3 and designed much better

• Upvote 1

darkstalkers-valentines-04.jpg

Today, Capcom announced that Darkstalkers Resurrection will be releasing in North America on March 12 for PlayStation Network at $14.99, March 13 for Xbox LIVE Arcade at 1200 MSP. The compilation will available for both PSN and XBLA in Europe on March 13. The digital release will be available for $14.99/€14.99/£11.99 on PSN, 1200 MSP on XBLA. In Japan however, the game (releasing as Vampire Resurrection) will be available as a disc copy instead of a digital one and retails at 2990 yen.

Yay. I'll enjoy playing this with the 4 or so people in North-west Europe that actually play it for more than a day

• Upvote 3

Releasing old HD versions to test the waters for a new game is a terrible idea, surely, especially if they're relatively niche games like this which hardly anyone has heard of. Double especially if you then charge way over what is a reasonable price.

I agree with everything you said except the part where noone has heard of Darkstalkers.

Case in point: before it's release, I didn't know a single person who didn't mistakenly refer to Darksiders as Darkstalkers.

It's fondly remembered out here in internet world too.