rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
sandman

Your favourite movie ending (er, spoilers)

I was wondering what everyones favourite movie endinf was. We have probably had a thread on this before, but I cant find it.

So, is it Casablanca or The Godfather? What about Predator or Ghostbusters? How about Back to The Future or Annie Hall?

There are loads, but for some reason, the moment I saw the thread title I thought of Lord of War, with Nic Cage and Ethan Hawke.

MAJOR SPOILER

Cage has finally been caught by Hawke's DEA agent. Hawke is telling him he's going away for a long time. Cage, casually (and very cool) spells out to Hawke what is about to happen. How the US need people like him, those who can be seen to do deals outside of the law. He tells him that shortly someone will come who outranks Hawke. He will tell him what a great job he has done and he may even earn a promotion. But ultimately, he will have to let Cage go free. It's a 3-4 minute speech.

Just as Cage finishes talking, there is a knock at the door and basically everything Cage has just said, sets in motion. It's a really cool scene.

• Upvote 2

yi-yi.

a 5 year old boy reads a letter to his dead grandmother at her funeral. he's the cutest kid in the world and his thought is so simple and poignant and it comes at the end of an exhausting portrait of love at every stage of life and i cry every time.

• Upvote 1

John Carpenter's The Thing is my favourite movie ending, but I have a big soft spot for Time Bandits too with the glimmer of light cast by Connery's reappearance and then an awesome end-credits photo-montage and George Harrison track. National Lampoon's Vacation has a similar feel good postcard ending that I love too.

Vanishing Point.

Just... woah. The whole movie the guy's been on the run, then right at the end just... BOOM. Everyone walks away. Fin.

Also, the ending to the original (well, only worth watching) Rollerball was pretty cool.

The endings of Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources always make me blub like a little baby. They're wonderful films but both end with overwhelming sadness :(

• Upvote 1

I like endings with strong, emotive songs polishing them off. I've recently re-watched The Guard which ends perfectly with:

Leaving on a Jet Plane by John Denver

But the daddy of them all has to be Fight Club's ending. Has a song ever suited an ending more than:

Where is my Mind

???

• Upvote 1

I'll be as vague as possible, for spoiler's sake.

Die Hard, the 'Powell moment'

Shawshank Redemption, 'the Reunion'

Robocop 'the name's Murphy'

The Untouchables 'maybe I'll have a drink'

Planes, Trains and Automobiles 'Thanksgiving'

Starman 'The Crater'

The Rock 'Fort Walton - Kansas'

Terminator 2 'There is one more chip'

Mulholland Drive 'The bed'

The Thing 'Wait and see'

The Last Crusade 'Let it go'

But my all time favourite - and I don't care if I get stick for this - is The Karate Kid - The Crane Kick. It still puts a lump in my throat everytime I watch it. It's the ultimate feel good ending.

• Upvote 4

'The reunion' in Shawshank is so tacked-on.

It should have ended with Res on the bus giving his 'hope' speech.

Fight Club is a good one, indeed. A true 'hairs on the back of your neck' moment.

Also, Se7en. I love watching that film with people who've never seen it before to see if they guess the ending. It's so bloody evil.

Eternal Sunshine and Twelve Monkeys are great too (both end as they begin).

• Upvote 1

A little cheesy but I love the last five minutes of Leon / The Professional: Leon thinking he's escaping but but still getting revenge on Gary Oldman's Stansfield then cutting to Mathilda escaping and going back to school and planting Leon's beloved pot-plant. Great finish to one of my favourites.

Umbrellas of Cherbourg. But then that is my favourite film in almost every sense, no matter what you choose to look at, so no surprise there really. If I've had more than a glass of wine I well up at the end every time, and that's my word.

*sniff*