rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
glb

The Ryder Cup 2014

Thought the Ryder Cup deserved its own thread because 1) it's a bloody awesomeballs and 2) please see 1).

28th - 30th September

Medinah Country Club, Illinois

Course Guide: Medinah (official site)

Latest Odds: USA 10/13, Europe 7/4, Draw 23/2

Friday's First tee: 7.20am CST / 1.20pm BST

Live Coverage on Sky Sports 1 (SD/HD) from 12.30pm and BBC Radio Five Live from 1pm

USA

Keegan Bradley

Jason Dufner

Jim Furyk

Dustin Johnson

Zach Johnson

Matt Kuchar

Phil Mickelson

Webb Simpson

Brandt Snedeker

Steve Stricker

Bubba Watson

Tiger Woods

Captain: Davis Love III

Europe

Nicolas Colsaerts

Sergio Garcia

Martin Kaymer

Graeme McDowell

Francesco Molinari

Justin Rose

Luke Donald

Peter Hanson

Paul Lawrie

Rory McIlroy

Ian Poulter

Lee Westwood

Captain: Jose Maria Olazabel

A pick of the world's best golfers are primed for the unique pressure the tournament brings. Europe, with four wins out of five in recent years, will be looking to retain the pot after a memorable 141/2 - 131/2 victory at Celtic Manor in 2010. For the US, they'll be hoping for a repeat of their dominant 5-point triumph at Valhalla in 2008.

Who will be showered in champagne (or Guinness) come Sunday evening? Ryder Cup, it's over to you.

ryder-cup.jpg

• Upvote 1

I know I'm a bit like those people I hate so much who only watch the Olympics every 4 years and don't bother with sport any other time, but this is really the only golf event that holds my interest for the entire comp. I find match play far more interesting, and cheering against the Americans and making fun of their mullets is always fun.

It depends on how their noobs adapt but I can see the US sneaking it by a point or two unfortunately.

Decent start for Europe in the foursomes but the US are heating up the business end of the course approaches.

Although, Woods is playing like he won his place in a raffle.

Fourballs has been a struggle so far. Would be happy if the day finishes 4-4/5-3 at this point, but 6-2 isn't looking out of the question.

Mind you, that's some shot from Rory out of the mulch just now.

Astonishing performance from Nicolas Colsaerts. -10 for his Ryder Cup debut, completely dismantled Medinah. Hopefully that will give Europe a boost going into tomorrow's sessions.

Hats off to Colsaerts. He carried Europe in that second session. Some of the pressure putts he holed were amazing, being all the more impressive that he was facing a resurgent Tiger to hold onto that point. Hopefully it will indeed give some of the others a boost but a lot of Europe's players are badly out of form. The difference in putting between both teams is extremely worrying.

Difficult to watch the americans interviewed, even the studio pundits are painfully full of yankee bullshit. Interviewer: so how was that for you? Mickelson..awweeessommmeee. I love loads of things about america but not their sportsmen, or sportsmanship. Bad losers, worse winners.

Been a thoroughly downbeat day for Europe.

Couldn't the Yanks at least learn something a bit more tuneful than, USA! USA! USA!? The theme from Team America: World Police perhaps?

A great finish to the day. Didn't manage to close the US lead but from the position early on it felt like a European victory in the fourballs rather than a draw. Still reckon it's too much of a lead to overhaul considering some of the weaker players in Europe's team but if they have a few pints of Poulter juice then who knows. At least it's made it interesting for the start of the singles.

Would be a monumental turnaround given the contrasting form of the two teams but a little bit of early pressure and you never know... okay, we do know, American will win but hopefully it won't be a procession.

Also, besides Europe going out in Seve's traditional blue and white today, their bags have an image of the maestro as well. Lovely touch.

Golf-bag-008.jpg