Fargo (Season 1)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this is a thread for the TV show, but I lent a neighbour of ours who's in her sixties a few DVDs last week, because she'd ran out of things to watch, and one of them was Fargo (the film). I picked it because she likes 'anything with a murder in it'. Anyway, I found out last night that she loved it and has since watched it twice, and especially loved it because it was based on a true story. She was gutted when I told her they made that bit up :lol:

Kumiko the Treasure Hunter's out now, which is a fictional film based on a true story about a fictional film that claims to be based on a true story. True story.

If you don't know, the true story is a Japanese woman who saw Fargo thought there really was a suitcase full of money buried somewhere in North Dakota so she went looking for it.

• Upvote 1

It was just him being a potential witness to the Vegas shooting.

Ah, gotcha, you betcha.

Left me thinking there might be something else to be tied up there at the end.

Great series - some good acting; think my favourite was the guy playing Bill, the police chief; he was spot on. Stack of pancakes and a V8, indeed.

I thought that the person in witness protection was completely unrelated to the main story, and was just the reason that Thornton's character is pretending to be a dentist - so that he could find & kill them. May have misunderstood that though?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just binged this on Netflix.

Echo what everyone else in here as said, utterly brilliant television, it ranks very high in the greats (Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, True Detective).

Recommend it to everyone.

:hat:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Kumiko the Treasure Hunter's out now, which is a fictional film based on a true story about a fictional film that claims to be based on a true story. True story.

If you don't know, the true story is a Japanese woman who saw Fargo thought there really was a suitcase full of money buried somewhere in North Dakota so she went looking for it.

Just to add yet another layer to this post, the "true story" about the Japanese woman is mostly bullshit.

• 3 months later...

Apologies but I'm going to mention series 1 after watching it this week, wow. I had it on my to watch list for ages then after Narcos I thought i'd give it a watch after knowing nothing about it. One of the best pieces of TV i've watched, utterly fantastic.

Now onto Season 2.

• 3 weeks later...

Missed this first time round and also missed the thread but my word what an amazing series. I've not seen the film do wasn't sure what to expect but both myself and my wife loved it. Billy Bob was just the most amazing bad guy, and Freeman was brilliant as well. The whole cast in fact were fantastic.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Started watching this recently, only watched two episodes and it's hardly gripping me. It's well made and has a few interesting moments here and there but I don't really like any of the characters, perhaps that is intentional? (though Billy Bob's character is at least entertaining). I'm guessing it's worth trying at least another 3 or so episodes but otherwise I think I'll leave it. I've heard (I'm trying to avoid any spoilers) that season 2 is an all new cast? Similar to True Detective? I think that would put me off even more. Sorry not quite sure what the point of this post is, I think for either someone to say "Stick with it, there is huge payoff." or "It's the new BreakingBad!" or "If you didn't love the first two episodes the series probably isn't for you".

Capwn - both seasons are overrated, half-baked and definitely not for you. The characters are mostly dull stereotypes and lack redeeming features. Both seasons also feature hackneyed plots and stand firmly in the shadow of the Coens original film.

Whilst the above paragraph is abject bullshit hopefully it'll help you enjoy the show more.

• 3 months later...

Bump. This was brilliant. I watched the first season in three sittings. Excellent television: horribly tense in places but frequently laugh out loud funny. I'm going to jump straight into season 2, which I've been told is even better than the first. Watch it if you haven't already.

• Upvote 2
On 04/04/2016 at 9:23 PM, Meh said:

It's nowhere near as good as the first season. It's still pretty great, but it's not as memorable.

I didn't realise but it's not on Netflix yet, so I guess I won't find out how it compares for a while yet. 

• 4 months later...