Bayonetta II - Wii U Exclusive. EDGE 10.

Moz

Barely. Even if it was locked at 60 it slows down constantly because of hit and dodge pausing. Certainly don't recall anything particularly onerous and I'm a bit of a prick about framerate. There's one moment with a chest in a small room surrounded by pots, if you use a wide area weapon like the whip everything shatters at once and the framerate absolutely tanks. It's glorious.

Really weird analysis, that. Spends as much time talking about TW101 as Bayo2 and much of the latter is about the game rather than its performance.

The bloke that is doing it knows his stuff. He was the one who also handled the MK8 analysis and spotted the frame dupe problem visually before confirming it via frame capture data, if you think you are sensitive to frame rates, you obviously aren't as sensitive to fluctuations as he is.

I assume most people don't actually read articles if they can't spot the parts where the performance is actually discussed. He's also provided some further details on it via his NeoGAF account, as he's been a long time member there before he got hired to do Digital Foundry stuff:

The bulk of the game's technical improvements stem from those outrageous set-piece moments. While much of Bayonetta 2's underpinnings are shared with the original - right down to its native 720p presentation, lacklustre texture filtering and no anti-aliasing - the engine manages to deliver sequences more complex than anything the original had to offer. However, this decision backfires a little in some respects. At its heart this is a game that owes the roots of its design to classic fast-paced PS2-era 60Hz action games such as Devil May Cry. Those backgrounds racing by as you fight hordes of angels? They may as well be flat-shaded boxes without compromising the gameplay. Sure, all of those pyrotechnics and crazy levels are a core part of the experience but they're ultimately little more than fancy window dressing - and it comes at a cost.

That price is a hard hit to sustained performance and it's the one area of the game that didn't quite hit the target during our initial play sessions. Once again Platinum Games aims for a 60fps update, but similar to Metal Gear Rising, it struggles to maintain it. While it's certainly light years beyond the awful farmed-out PlayStation 3 version of Bayonetta, the overall experience isn't quite as smooth as the original Xbox 360 game. On the plus side, the irritating tearing of the original has been completely eliminated, but while it's still a fast and responsive game, the consistency in the update leaves something to be desired.

Weird thing to say. I've played half the game now and those videos are misleading. It does not hold 60 fps at all. There is slowdown nearly 100% of the time.

Let me clarify...

There is slowdown in those videos you linked to. If you're not seeing it then you're less irritated by the dips. However, that particular section actually runs a bit smoother than most of the rest of the game. It was not possible to show in press videos due to a licensed song despite the fact that preview coverage focused on it (weird, I know). They're not really deceptive so much as they highlight an area that runs a bit smoother than average even though slowdown is still very much present in those vids. Gameplay Video 5 on Gamersyde definitely shows plenty of dips, for instance.

The numbers in the DF video are accurate in the sense that they display exactly what the frame-rate is doing. Some people are not bothered by dips into the 40s and won't ever notice it while others (like myself) find it highly distracting.

As you progress they throw more complex scenery at the player and that scenery often causes dips by itself. So simply running around with no enemies will produce ~52-55 fps (as noted in the article). That's a bit juddery though a lot of folks probably won't be bothered by it. The issues arise when combat begins in areas where the frame-rate is already lower than 60 fps.

Those areas on top of the jet (basically the second stage in the game) run smoother likely due to the fact that most of the scenery is not traversable - it's just a background that quickly scrolls by.

You're way way way over-thinking all of this. It's simply a matter of having shown limited areas in demos up to this point that just happen to run a bit smoother than average. Even still, those areas all still exhibit slowdown. None of those videos are a stable 60 fps. There's nothing sinister about any of this. It's disappointing for some of us but doesn't change how awesome the game is. The performance is really very much like Metal Gear Rising. Did you play that? If you weren't bothered by performance there you won't be bothered here. They're very very similar. It's just how Platinum designs their games. It's not a knock on the Wii U or anything else.

Now, The Wonderful 101 is a different story. That frame-rate was unacceptable to me and ruined the game for myself. Clearly that wasn't true for a lot of folks but it gave me fits. Bayonetta 2 is much much better in that regard.

But in a world where some people on this very forum will defend the PS3 port of the original as being fine and most reviewers crown the console versions of CoD as being a solid 60fps, most people can't even recognise a fluctuating non-60fps frame update even if it was staring them directly in the face, the facts prove that be so.

What else is there to say about it technically? The reason he brings up Wonderful 101 is because apparently DF never bothered to analyse it when it came out. It's a compare and contrast of the technological progress Platinum Games have made on the Wii U with 2 exclusives, and it turns out their first attempt performs even worse (to the point he finds it unacceptable). He's also going to be doing a full 3 way between the console versions of the first Bayonetta to see which one is the definitive one. Shame he can't get hold of the internal PC build they have, as that manages 120fps and supports Stereoscopic rendering aswell.

3CkeWzX.jpg

BTW - nice oh-so-subtle dig, never heard that one before :D

You sort of did doubt his analysis of the game by saying the problem is overblown, your ability to detect lowered framerates probably isn't as good as you obviously think it is, even if you are a and I quote verbatim "I'm a bit of a prick about framerate".

The whole 60Hz or not good enough thing that has gained popularity in recent years seems more bandwagon jumping than any actual ability by most gamers to be able to tell the difference, as they usually prove they can't in practice.

If any of you cancelled your amazon pre-order when the listing changed, it's worth getting in touch with them through the live chat.

I did, and am now getting the Special Edition for £31.85. I was told to order at the full price, and the chat adviser refunded the rest of the money there and then.

If you still don't have any luck, let me know and I'll PM the transcript which might help.

If any of you cancelled your amazon pre-order when the listing changed, it's worth getting in touch with them through the live chat.

I did, and am now getting the Special Edition for £31.85. I was told to order at the full price, and the chat adviser refunded the rest of the money there and then.

If you still don't have any luck, let me know and I'll PM the transcript which might help.

Thanks for this, I did the same and had the same result!

Seems like at last everyone at amazon is on the same page.

This looks incredible. I'll have to complete the first one before starting this as I never managed it, so I'll probably tear through them both on Easy to see the story before replaying them when I know just what the hell I'm doing.

Just play on Normal if you can. Playing through Easy, then Normal... would you ever get to the true game which resides on Hard and beyond? It's actually much harder for me to play Normal these days because the audio cue tempo is too slow in order to naturally trigger concise reactions. Dodging on Normal is like *enemy scream*.1.2.3.*dodge*, you have to mentally count that shit down and in most cases it's better to disregard the cue entirely. Dodging on Hard is like *enemy scream*.1.*dodge*.