IGNORED

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

lordcookie

Synopsis: Jean-Claude Van Damme, Scott Adkins, Andrei “The Pit Bull” Arlovski and Dolph Lundgren star in UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: DAY OF RECKONING, which ups the ante in the UNIVERSAL SOLDIER series, giving you more hard-hitting, bloody, no-holds-barred fighting action.

John (Adkins, The Expendables 2) wakes up from a coma to discover his wife and daughter were slaughtered in a brutal home invasion. Haunted by images of the attack, he vows to kill the man responsible, Luc Deveraux (Van Damme). While John tries to piece his reality back together, things get more complicated when he is pursued by a relentless UniSol (Arlovski). As John gets closer to Deveraux and the rouge army of genetically enhanced warriors led by back-from-the-dead leader Andrew Scott (Lundgren), John discovers more about himself and begins to call into question everything he believed to be true.

Following the well received Regeneration we get another instalment in the Universal Soldier franchise. No doubt a red band trailer will give a better flavour of the violence than the family friendly trailer above.

Really looking forward to this, loved Regeneration and Adkins is a great martial artist, the fight scenes in Undisputed 2 and 3 are superb, also coming off a great turn in Ex2 as Van Damme's henchman. I doubt it'll be as good as Regeneration can hope...at least it's the Hyams team again... though the tone is so drastically different.

Doesn't seem to have the grittier vibe of Regeneration, but still looking forward to it. Seriously though, how did Lundgren come back from the dead after what happened to him in the last one? Does it follow on directly after Regeneration?

I don't think continuity or even plots have ever been of high priority for the makers of the Universal Soldier series.

Regeneration IS a very good action flick, but based on that trailer, I do not have high hopes for this one. The reason Regen worked was its grittiness, which this movie appears to be almost completely devoid of - it looks more like a low-budget comic book film.

Could be wrong though.

Yeah, the original, then regeneration, then hopefully this new one. One of my all time favourite movie scenes is the way Dolph goes 'IT'S EMPTAY!' when he tries to shoot JCVD's gal pal, it cracks me up everytime!

The Return is the worst Van Damme movie ever made, and that includes no retreat no surrender and black eagle. The only good thing was the Michael Jai White workout supplement on the DVD. Dude eats 2 whole pizzas after a workout. madness!

As for Reckoning there was a longer international trailer a few weeks back that shows off a lot more action:

Yep as Lord Cookie says it's only the original and Regeneration that are worth watching. The original especially is still a great action film IMO. I'm curious about Day Of Reckoning, it looks like Luc is the bad guy this time unless it's the main characters mind being fucked with.

EDIT - As No Substance says above that's one of the best lines in the original. Me and my sister still use it on each other from time to time when the opportunity arises :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just watched this. I hate to say this, being a fan of the first film and a huge fan of Regeneration, but it was really poor. Don't get me wrong - the action scenes are absolutely superb but they are few and far between. Adkins is excellent and the fight choreography is brilliant. You'll have to put up with a lot of nonsense to get to these, and because of this, it's hard to root for anyone as none of it makes any goddamn sense.

It's a absolute stinker of a story and poorly told, and once again makes no effort in continuity. It completed disregards Regeneration. There is zero reason this should be a Universal Soldier movie, for the characters are but characters in name, there's no attempt at any reason why the characters are where they are and why. Van Damme has, about 4 minutes of screen time in a 1hr and 53 minute movie. Dolph probably has the same.

Taken away from that, well Imagine if David Lynch made an action film, this is what you'd get. There's a reason David Lynch doesn't make action films though, and especially not ones in a sequel to a long established franchise. It's a really poor, try-hard , trying to be more than it is film and is an absolute disaster when compared with Regeneration, which is probably my favourite DTV film ever.

A real shame the UniSol series went out this way. Adkins deserves better roles than semi-sequel fodder and even Van Damme and Lundgren just looked confused throughout the whole thing. A real shame - Van Damme was the best thing about Expendables II but his two follow up movies, Six Bullets and this, have really failed to capitalise on that.

Worth watching for an absolute brilliant fight in a sporting goods store, and that's about it. Gutted :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I just saw this today and thought it was brilliant. An action film that doesn't insult the viewer every chance it gets is too far and between these days.

Also it completely shits all over The Raid, as that flick only had the choreography going for it, Day of Reckoning is an actual film and not just some showcase of the latest developments in fighting techniques. I mention The Raid as it received all the hype and praise in the world but clearly DoR is more deserving.

8/10