rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
revengeofgibbon

Pillars of Eternity - Obsidian's RPG Project Eternity has a new name

Gamebanshee interview, very interesting read

We absolutely want to bring back what was great about the Infinity Engine games. While we plan to improve some things based upon what we think fans of the older games expect now-a-days (like the interface), Project Eternity is going to play and feel like an Infinity Engine game.
Our goal is to use voice over as flavor and not as something that exists for every written word in the game. We don’t want to cut down on the depth of dialogs or the number of choices that players have because we are counting voice over dollars. That means, like practically every Obsidian project to date, we are going to push the boundaries of reactivity in our dialogs.
The core to a great RPG is having all matter of quests and that’s what we are going to do in Project Eternity. If every quest was a Fed-Ex quest then that isn’t fun, but having some quests like that round out the types of quests we can offer and I know I appreciate the occasional easy quest. That’s really the other aspect of a well-crafted RPG. There are the intense times where the quests are deep, every choice matters, and the fallout from choosing one way or another spider webs across the game. While others are lighter, fun, but less earth-shattering. Both types are needed to keep the ebb and flow of the game fun. Ultimately though, we are going to walk the line between quality and quantity – tons of single step delivery quests makes an RPG feel shallow, while only a few super complex quests leaves the world feeling empty.

When we looked at whether to go the Icewind Dale route or the Torment / Baldur’s Gate route, we felt the latter tied much better into the focus we are going to put into the story and character development. We want the central character to be one that players will hopefully not just play through Project Eternity with, but into sequels as well. Like Torment and Baldur’s Gate, players will find companions to join their party – crafted by the incredible talents of Chris Avellone and Josh Sawyer.

The thing is, with the kind of RPG talent they have working on this game, everything they say here and everything they're promising and aiming for, is more than achievable. These guys know how to make a quality RPG with tremendous depth and brilliant writing. 'Excited' doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this game :wub:

edit: thanks to mr_woo:

obsidian.gif

From one of the team:

We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter. I said to them "So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don't get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits" They said, "Yes".

Haha, publishers are literally just parasites now.

• Upvote 2

I totally agree.

I've had far more issues with Bioware and Bethesda games than I have had with any Obsidian games.

Indeed. For all the moaning about KOTOR2, I had just as many problems the first time I played KOTOR, though it was on the Xbox. The PC version was better, but still had a lot of problems. All of Bioware and Obsidian's games pale in comparison to playing the first releases of Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

New update:

Well you all did it, you helped us get to $1.6M and we now have a Mac version and are adding more story into the world.

We have also been listening and reading your feedback on Kickstarter and have some changes that are happening as soon as this update is posted. One thing, we are not updating just yet are the stretch goals, but don’t worry those are going to get updated very soon. Oh, and we are putting a schedule together for updates that will include guest stars almost every day – Josh will be talking more about the design tomorrow (Sep 19), our unflappable CTO Chris Jones (architect of the Fallout and Arcanum engines) on Friday (Sep 20), and I think we will be able to squeeze one in from Mr. Tim Cain over the weekend. 

So, what are those changes?!?

DRM Free Option

You asked and we are delivering. In conjunction with GOG, we are going to offer a DRM free version of the game for our Kickstarter Backers. When the campaign ends, you will be able to choose whether you would like a key from GOG or Steam. For our Mac friends, we are still working on a DRM free option, since GOG does not currently support the Mac. Oh, and the great guys at GOG are having a special right now on all of the great Infinity Engine games, so check that out as well.

New Digital Tiers

We are adding a $50 and an $80 digital tier. The $50 tier will get you the digital version of the game, the soundtrack, the digital version of the Collector’s Book, a collection of wallpapers made for multiple resolutions and multiple monitors, high resolution concept art, a high resolution version of the map, and ringtones. For the $80 tier, you will get all of that plus a digital copy of the strategy guide, and a second digital download of the game.

Add-Ons

This is a short list for right now, but we will be adding more as the days pass including some pretty swank Obsidian-wear.

Add a Digital Download of the Game +$25 

Add Three Digital Downloads of the Game +$60 

As a quick tutorial on how to add add-ons, goto the Project Eternity site on Kickstarter and then hit the Manage Your Pledge button. The reward tier you had already selected will still be selected and the amount will be in the big box at the top. All you need to do is add the dollar amount that covers the add-ons you would like to your pledge and enter the new total number. For instance, if you are at the $35 Pledge level and want to add one Digital Download, you would enter $60 as your total pledge.

New for our Collector's Edition Box Level ($140)

Lastly we want to announce that we are going to give our backers at the Collector’s Edition Box Level ($140) a little extra today and that is Beta access to the game! That’s just a little taste of what we will be adding into tiers in the coming days and weeks through stretch goals and the occasional random act.

Obsidian posted a target render with their latest update.

PE-TempleEntrance01-2560x1440.jpg

When they said it was going to be just like the Infinity Engine games it turns out they meant it literally. It's going to use pre-rendered 3D environments with artists touching up the renders and painting in details. Pre-rendered 3D fell out of favour once realtime rendering became viable, so this has the potential to look absolutely stunning given the jump in technology since the old Infinity Engine days.

Looks fantastic. Just the kind of thing I was hoping for when they announced the project, and better than I expected to be honest. Some of the background art in the old IE games was beautiful and as they mentioned in the update with 10 years worth of improvements in rendering tech and hardware, I look forward to seeing what other delights are in store.

Yeah, good news. Would love it if they hit the 3.5M stretch goal. A second big city would be the icing on the cake for this project. Everything else I've wanted has been achieved.

Well, I was all set to fund this to an insane degree - I'd pledged $280, far more than I've ever put towards any other Kickstarter, purely on the strength of the team. I'd been careful with money over the last month and this one to make sure I would be able to afford it... until yesterday, when I found out that I, along with 40% of the company I work for, am being let go. Without the knowledge of whether I'll have found a new job by next month, I've had to cancel my pledge entirely; no art book, cloth map, or other lovely things for me. Absolutely gutted :(

Wiper: sorry to hear that man, that really sucks :( Hope you're able to find something new soon.

In regards to the kickstarter itself: they've passed the 3.5 million some time ago, because of the 100k in paypal donations: big city the second is in confirmed Obsidian this morning :omg: This also means Project Eternity is the most successful game on kickstarter, finally beating the Double Fine Adventure that started this hype in the first place.

It is nice to see how much support Obsidian have squirrelled away - hopefully they can make something that lives up to their potential. Even if it is in Yet Another Fantasy Setting.

Silver lining: having saved the money for the game does mean I have a little more money than I might otherwise have had. It's just a shame to lose what would have been the most awesome birthday present I'd ever bought myself.

Awesome. Wake up to find that it's pretty much reached the 3.5 million on kickstarter alone, 2nd big city confirmed!.And there's now 67.5k backers, which means another level to that mega dungeon. If they start to include the paypal backers in that we might get a 12th level to that dungeon.

As well as the stretch goals, that Endless Dungeon is a great way to keep people interested.

I haven't been keeping up with this. What was the George Ziets stretch goal?

As well as the stretch goals, that Endless Dungeon is a great way to keep people interested.

I haven't been keeping up with this. What was the George Ziets stretch goal?

At 2.8 million they were adding him to the development team, as he's no longer with them and is working freelance IIRC. I don't think they've worked out the full details of what his role is going to be. Although it was mentioned on his formspring that they're looking at him doing some lore development, dialogue writing and area design.

Cheers.

Then on the face of it that guy costs $100,000 a project, he must be doing something right!

If I remember correctly, the ETA for the game is 2014, isn't it? If they're planning on contracting him for that entire period, then he's earning about $50,000 per annum - which is certainly a good amount of money, but it's not an astonishing amount.

Over 3.7 million and counting with 4 hours to go. Live stream is up here, with lots of RPG nerds shouting that they are 'gay for Avellone' in the accompanying chat. As a final stretch goal, Chris Avellone will be forced to play Arcanum!

Right now I'm drinking beer while following it all and I'm expecting nothing less - nothing less - than the best goddamn RPG ever made. EVER!

• Upvote 1

It might get 4 million you know, it will close when you add in the paypal contributions. Wasteland 2, Shadowrun returns and now this, who could have guessed all these would have been kickstarted to such amounts a year back.

I never would have guessed that this kind of RPG goodness would ever make such a comeback. The Black Isle guys making a new epic 2D isometric traditional RPG. Omg omg omg. So fucking awesome :wub:

One last stretch goal - if it hits $4 million, they'll enhance the whole game (one example given is the use of live instrumentation for the soundtrack). 2 hours left and we're at $3.8 million.

I think there's over 130k in the separate paypal account as well, I'm confident it will hit 4 million over all now.

Well, they got close enough to 4 million with the kickstarter alone and obviously surpassed it with the paypal figures. Pretty sure with the paypal backers that's another level to the dungeon as well. The most interesting bit of the 4 million stretch goal was the developer commentary for me. Looking forward to it.

Holy SHIT! They finished a whisker under $4 million and Paypal will take them easily over that. That is MENTAL and ridiculously exciting!