Sign in to follow this  
Timmo

Mark of the Ninja - 360 & PC - 2D stealth - Metacritic 90 - Buy this game!

Just finished my first play through, and i'm itching to start new game plus.

Thoughts (Spoilers inside):-

A nice solid game, well worth the 1200 points and with both the leader-boards and the new game plus you'll go through it again :)

However a few things really piss me off.

During the later levels the game gets really glitches for me. A few of the laser parts just hung for ages causing me to either go back to the checkpoint or even start the level again. Also the collision detection can be a little frustrating at times, you get within the perfect range of the kill (it goes red with the x button marker) and then you end up just doing a normal move and hitting the target not stealth killing them.

All that aside I even enjoyed the storyline all the way until the end :)

Tips:-

Spike Mines & Hisomu Darts are worth getting as soon as possible and worth upgrading too, as is the moves "A Brief Shadow" & "Emperor's Abyss" both are invaluable in my opinion.

Style,

I've unlocked all but one so far.

"Path Of The Mark" allows you to use the "bamf"move, but you can't carry any distraction items.

"Path Of Might" Gives you more armour and allows you to stun enemies quicker, and stealth kills give you health but focus does not stop time.

"Path Of The Hunter" you can carry two attack items, all active stealth moves automatically succeed however your items don't replenish at checkpoints.

"Path Of Silence" you make no noise running and you can have two distraction items but you cannot carry a sword.

I've started my new game plus now, and i look forward to trying for some high scores on the levels too :)

Such an awesome game :D

It's absolutely brilliant isnt it, I was undecided over the weekend about buying it because I've got a load of Arcade downloads I haven't played yet but I'm glad I did, even if my cack handedness meant I got a very low score on the first level. I'm looking forward to putting more time into it tonight

If anyone wants some easy scores to beat, my gamertag is ryodiUK

Intial impressions are that its feels like one of those lovely games which does a clockwork world really well, that is it creates numberous possibilities from a set of simple, well excuted mechanics which allow you to experiement without ever feeling unfair

(I have only played two levels

I've just killed Kelly (the mercenary leader) without getting detected at all and it was fucking awesome! The further you get, the more intricate the levels become and navigating them with the pitch-perfect stealth controls feels so incredibly amazing, the game makes you feel like a powerful deadly sneaky Ninja moreso than even the best Tenchu games managed to achieve. This game is just... it's so so good, it's a must-buy and a GotY contender if I ever saw one (unless the latter levels suck, but I'm guessing they don't)

There's word that the team are hard at work with a pc version which im definitely getting. Giant Bombs quick look pretty much won me over - got me thinking that this plays like a perfect platformer version of Chaos Theory somewhat - and for those who hate the look of the upcoming Spinter Cell, this looks like it's got everything you'd want :D

Even if the PC version uses GFWL (and since MS is the publisher, we can safely assume it will) I'll gladly buy this twice since it's so damn good. With this, Hitman and Dishonored, us stealth gamers are truly getting spoiled this year.

I was just going to ask if a PC version is coming and then gerbik answered before I even got a chance. Ace.

Glad to hear the good impressions. May just have to pick it up.

I was just going to ask if a PC version is coming and then gerbik answered before I even got a chance. Ace.

Uhm no, boomeh said it, not me. I have no idea where he got the info from.

But yes, the game is excellent. If you ever liked Tenchu then Mark of the Ninja is a must-buy without a doubt.

I just ghosted the tutorial level, in some places it seemed like it shouldn't be possible (unlike the following levels), at least not with the equipment available to me now. It was very challenging, with just a handful of noisemakers , but it was so. fucking. awesome! I even rescued all the ninjas and stuff. What a game, what game :wub:

I just played through the trial and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Each scenario seems more like a puzzle than anything else, but it also seems quite open-ended in how you approach things. I was actually quite clumsy when executing some of my plans, but if you're not perfect at working out silent kills it sometimes lets you work out a way to make a mess and get out quickly. :P The atmosphere is incredible, from the use of light and shadow to the brilliant sound effects; it's everything a stealthy ninja game should be.

Or at least, everything a trial of a stealthy ninja game should be. Still undecided about the full game because of the Metroidvania comparisons, but I'm hoping they're talking more about how you can use guards, searchlights, gongs and other things around the map in an open-ended way, rather than being a game where you get a key and run back for miles to open a door all of the time.

Am I missing something or is path of might a bit pointless? It gives you more armour and lets you knock enemies down more quickly, but you shouldn't be getting shot at or punching guys in the face anyway. Sprinting through a level and slide kicking everyone is mildly diverting but you don't get any points for it.

Speaking of which, anyone know how the scoring works? Do the bonuses for avoiding detection and not killing anyone offset the points you would get for stealth killing everybody? I got my highest score so far by using path of nightmares and basically tricking the guards into killing themselves and each other.

... rather than being a game where you get a key and run back for miles to open a door all of the time...

You'll probably want to revisit levels you've already cleared to try out new techniques and gear, but there's no forced backtracking.

• Upvote 1

I just played through the trial and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Each scenario seems more like a puzzle than anything else, but it also seems quite open-ended in how you approach things. I was actually quite clumsy when executing some of my plans, but if you're not perfect at working out silent kills it sometimes lets you work out a way to make a mess and get out quickly. :P The atmosphere is incredible, from the use of light and shadow to the brilliant sound effects; it's everything a stealthy ninja game should be.

Or at least, everything a trial of a stealthy ninja game should be. Still undecided about the full game because of the Metroidvania comparisons, but I'm hoping they're talking more about how you can use guards, searchlights, gongs and other things around the map in an open-ended way, rather than being a game where you get a key and run back for miles to open a door all of the time.

It's REALLY not a Metroidvania. It's very linear, really. There are multiple paths but they all lead to the same funnels.

. Still undecided about the full game because of the Metroidvania comparisons, but I'm hoping they're talking more about how you can use guards, searchlights, gongs and other things around the map in an open-ended way, rather than being a game where you get a key and run back for miles to open a door all of the time.

Yeah it's the first description. Or just young kids calling everything that is 2D 'metroidvania'. It's 2D Tenchu but with better stealth mechanics :D

Just did the fifth level I think, at least the one with the castle walls and catacombs. Now that I've gotten the hang of it, I'm achieving 100% stealth kills in every level, and it feels so good. The controls are just perfect and messing around with guards will never get old - and I just got the achievement for

making a guard accidentally shoot one of his colleagues!

Amazing.

Yeah, I'd recommend not reading the achievements as I've been pleasantly surprised a few times when thinking "I wonder if I can do... this" and it working. Getting told to do it wouldn't have the same joy.

This is a very good game.

I finished it earlier and am probably going to NG+ it soon, I only did a few levels without killing and then went a bit mental (but hid all the bodies where I could, of course) but there really are some nice sequences and the sort-of parallax scrolling going on throughout is beautiful, as is the sound design, especially on the thunderstorm level.

People should buy this game.

It makes me think this is what prince of persia would have been similar to if 3D hadn't come along when it did. The controls in it are pretty much perfect, the transitions between wall and floor or vent or what have you are so well done, I don't think I ever slipped or fell off something because of an annoying control issue, as often plagues games like this. The same can be said for the tightness of the guards' awareness and vision. Never felt robbed.

Stop reading, play it.

Post from NeoGAF:

Hey Gaf, I'm the lead designer of Mark of the Ninja (this is moi) and I just wanted to say thanks for supporting the game.

As folks have noted elsewhere, visibility is our biggest problem, as we apparently made a game lots of folks really connected with, and we just have to let folks know it exists at all. So thanks!

Word of mouth obviously makes a huge difference for us, so folks spreading the word really, really help. Just telling a couple friends about the game can be huge. So thanks for everything folks have done so far and I hope the great support from the community continues.

I certainly hope this doesn't come across like I'm bombing into Gaf to shill, because I mainly just wanted to say thanks to everyone who checked out the game and we're really god damn happy folks are digging it. We didn't expect this kind of response at all.

And for everyone talking about a PC version, well, I don't think you all have to be too concerned ;)

Demo was absolutely excellent. So many fun ways to do things in just that one wee level and from the video afterward showing different approaches, like remaining completely undetected or killing every enemy or causing guards to go insane makes it look like it'll be fun to return to time and again. Anyway, I'm buying it.

It continues to be excellent. I did the castle/catacombs level last night and stealth killed pretty much everyone in the level. Felt so good. I look forward to having to be more devious to get through the levels without killing a soul when I replay the game.

Had a pretty funny moment last night

Killed a guard and dropped him through the floor, forgetting there was a guard and a dog beneath me. Suddenly I heard shit kicking off and got the Friendly Fire achievement. On investigation the guard was dead and the dog was nowhere to be seen, so presumably the dog got scared by the falling body and mauled the guard standing behind him before running off.

I've just finished this. I'd say it took me about 15 hours in total as I was really trying to play stealthily (whilst killing and hiding as many enemies as possible) and I can't fault it. It's probably the best XBLA game I've played (it helps being a big stealth game fan) and there's still loads I can improve on to perfect my scores, find scrolls I missed, do the objectives I didn't successfully complete, and try all the other ninja styles I unlocked plus the gadgets I never used. And then there's NG+ where, "You may start a new, more challenging game but keep all your gear and upgrades. Enemies will be deadlier, sound rings will not appear and you'll have a hard time seeing what's behind you".

I can't praise nor recommend this game enough.

• Upvote 1