IGNORED

HOLD IT! Phoenix Wright 5 announced for 3DS

HarMGM

It took me a while to get my head around the orientation of the space, but you're seeing everything from the Judge's position apart from when you see the judge himself or when you're looking at your courtroom buddy through Phoenix's eyes. EDIT: And the longshots of the courtroom that appear occasionally.

The cameraman isn't following the 180 degree rule that you see in most Films & TV shows so it's a bit disorientating really, he's crossing the line all over the place.

DIAGRAM!

Feenix.jpg

Exactly, this rule was rammed down our throat during the first year of camera lessons in film school so that's why it immediately jumped at me when I saw it. More here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/180-degree_rule

Just started the third case. While the first two were excellent, this is already shaping up to be the best yet.

I saw it at the CinemAsia festival here in Amsterdam last year, and I thought it was a lot of good fun :) Then again, I've played the first game, so I knew everything that was going to happen and I derived a lot of pleasure merely from recognising every single thing on screen.

I enjoyed it too, but I imagine only PW fans are going to like (and understand it). Still surprised at the lack of an English dub, as the Spanish one has been about for over a year.

The second case gets really good quite quickly, it is fairly obvious who the killer is (unless thre is a swerve, I am only on the second invstigation stage), but it is a nice, complex and amusing take on the classic

locked room

mystery format. My theory as to what happened has been completely blown out of the water.

I will say the text could have done with another pass of proof reading, quite a few minor errors.

Nothing new on the error front - having spent that last week playing all the way through Justice for All,* and into the third case of Trials and Tribulations, in preparation for the 3DS game, I've been reminded that there are plenty of typos and minor translation errors throughout the series. As it is, I prefer having that alongside an excellent script to the more standard "technically fine, awful in terms of actual content" scripts that most games have. One day they might be able to afford a translation company that offers high quality proofing, but until then I'd rather the money went towards a solid base translation instead :)

*made worse by that being the Japanese version, which is apparently even less well proofed than the US/EU released version

Finished it last night. Once I got to that last case I just couldn't put it down.

I don't think it quite tops Trials and Tribulations as my favourite in the series, but it's very, very close.

One thing I really liked is it now tells you when you've found everything during an examination scene. The amount of times in the previous games I got stuck because I didn't find one small thing and present it to someone.

Only on case 2 but I'm kicking some butt on it at the moment.

I do like Athena's mood stuff so far, quite a nice little addition.

I thought it was good that Blackquill could 'block' Apollo's bracelet as well - suitably silly 'Phoenix' way of doing it.

These repeated gimmicky animations are really starting to grate. Athena's V sign and fistpunch especially.

capture_L_0008-00000_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

And the background of case 2 is just completely washing me over, all this

wrestling, monsters, nine tails blah blah

Also wish that bitch would stop slapping me with those papers. The 3D effect is pretty cool when that happens though

1-ani-edgeworth-finger-tap.gif

Those 'gimmicky little animations' have been part of the series from the beginning (and are generally considered a part of its charm, but you're certainly entitled to not enjoy them), so the fact you're commenting on them suggests you've ignored the advice in the thread to play the first three games, er, first, which is definitely going to get in the way of you "getting" it. Hopefully you'll enjoy it anyway, but you really should have gone for the earlier games.

To moan about the animations is a bit like saying the cases aren't particularly realistic.

It's Phoenix!

It does help to have the history of everything though, without a doubt, especially as the animations are a result of how old the games are and the limitations of the original hardware. Although I'm very glad they haven't gone crazy with 3D-ing it or anything like adding more aniimations that are too different to the original style.

I love the rotating around the investigation scene but I do miss the lack of being able to click on everything in a scene and listen to some random chat.