HOLD IT! Phoenix Wright 5 announced for 3DS

HarMGM

I still haven't finished the game (just on the investigation first day for case 4) as I'm taking my time. Really don't want to rush through and wait forever til the next game but had to buy the DLC. It's only £3.99 and I think the bigger wad of cash they make the more likely they are to do follow ups. So get buying people!

The fingerprint thing wasn't really in the first game, it was in the extra case added for what was in Japan the re-release of the first game on DS (the first three AA titles were originally Game Boy Advance games). So, in development terms it was more like the fingerprint stuff was in Ace Attorney 3.5.

I did say add on case... ?

So....

People complaining that there's none of that fancy fingerprinting stuff in this game...

You can stop. Because there is.

Is there? I mean, there's not in the dlc. Very small amount of luminol stuff, but even that is different to RftA. I did get excited when they introduced a security footage videotape, but it was just still images (although 10 minutes would have been a while).

That said, it was the first case ever where

I was wrong footed about who did it

loved it, can't wait for more.

I think, with the DLC, it is the best game in the series. DLC packs a lot of stuff in. All the characters that are introduced are wonderful. The case is long, keeps you guessing, has a musical number within 5 minutes of starting and even got me right in the feels at the end. Maybe the best stand alone case (Rise from the Ashes is main contender).

The game as a complete package is just consistently good. You could argue the build up and execution to AA3 is better, but the quality is set at such a high bar all the way through, even with the weaker case 2. I'm not sure how people would get on jumping into it without playing the others. Then again Athena needs her own game. The animations she gets, especially the use of the hands-to-cheek-in-shock one. Ah, found it.

article_post_width_news-phoenix-wright-d

Plus the game has the single best nightmare fuel image I've ever seen, especially with context. MASSIVE SPOILER PIC BELOW, WAIT TILL YOU'VE FINISHED TO LOOK.

2564676-xjzdg4m.png

I was a bit down on this game initially but having reached the end I'm feeling really positive about it. The final case is amazing, a real series highlight, and it manages to bring together plot strands in a way that actually makes the other cases seem better as well. Athena is an excellent character and the interplay between the three attorneys is great. Plus of course the game looks incredible and the music is as great as ever.

I still think the "streamlining" of the investigative sequences was a bad mistake, though. At times they're almost non-interactive - you're just clicking through screen after screen of dialogue with barely any input required. It's only really a problem on the second case (which is a bit of a duffer, and interminably long as well) but it's not a great introduction to the game. It needs some sort of interaction with the player just to keep them feeling involved - even some superficial dialogue choices would have improved things. Thankfully, it picks up thereafter - the third case is much better (with one of the best villain transformations in the entire series) and although the fourth case starts off slow it soon builds into something amazing.

Overall I'd place Dual Destinies mid-table in terms of series quality - it's not quite as good as the original game or Trials & Tribulations, but more fun overall than Apollo Justice and significantly better than Justice For All - and I can't stress enough what a beautiful game it is, the animation is incredible and the use of 3D masterful.

DLC to go. Hurrah!

I'm playing through the second case at the moment, and I still feel like I'm in the tutorial. Every puzzle is either guiding me by the hand, or simply outright solving the puzzle for me.

The bit where you open the forbidden chamber could've been a really interesting puzzle to solve, but after going to great lengths to tell me how to rotate and examine a room divider, it felt like there was nothing left to figure out. It seemed like all I did was tap "next" a bunch of times while the characters did the thinking for me.

The psychology stuff really intrigued me but so far it's been so context-heavy and so saturated in exposition it barely feels like a mechanic.

I was hoping that the addition of the walkthrough-style notebook would allow them the freedom to take the reigns off and give players some challenge and room for experimentation.

I really want to like this game. I'm a huge fan of the phoenix wright series, but this one is boring me to tears so far.

Please tell me it lets go fairly soon?

I'm playing through the second case at the moment, and I still feel like I'm in the tutorial. Every puzzle is either guiding me by the hand, or simply outright solving the puzzle for me.

The bit where you open the forbidden chamber could've been a really interesting puzzle to solve, but after going to great lengths to tell me how to rotate and examine a room divider, it felt like there was nothing left to figure out. It seemed like all I did was tap "next" a bunch of times while the characters did the thinking for me.

The psychology stuff really intrigued me but so far it's been so context-heavy and so saturated in exposition it barely feels like a mechanic.

I was hoping that the addition of the walkthrough-style notebook would allow them the freedom to take the reigns off and give players some challenge and room for experimentation.

I really want to like this game. I'm a huge fan of the phoenix wright series, but this one is boring me to tears so far.

Please tell me it lets go fairly soon?

Good news and bad news.

Good news: as others have said, the 2nd is the weakest trial by far.

Bad news: it never lets go. By far the worst part of this new Phoenix Wright is the lack of challenge - the later trials make up for it by being brilliantly written, but the lack of meaningful puzzles or stumbling blocks is a real shame.

• 2 weeks later...

I stuck with it, and completed it last night.

You guys were bang on the money. The story was fantastic! I can't wait until they adapt it into a game some day.

One thing (Apollo Justice Spoilers):

Aren't Apollo and Trucy revealed to be (half?) brother and sister at the end of AJ? That was completely ignored this time round despite the fact of Trucy being Wright's adopted daughter being mentioned continuously