Games featured in magazines that never got released

Preacher

Issue 2 of Amiga Power had a big feature on Bullfrog's upcoming games - I remember it mentioned Magic Carpet (years before it actually came out, and with screenshots that showed a very different game).

One of the other games they mentioned sounded like a very early version of Syndicate.

And then they talked about a new "god game" they were making, too, which, I think ... was called Bob? Maybe this one eventually emerged on consoles?

I can't really remember, it was more than 20 years ago.

I think BOB was the working title for Syndicate.

I remember years ago, maybe around the time that Molyneux was showing off B.C, he talked in whispers about a game (or concept) codenamed Dmitri. Did anything ever come of that? Some how I can't see that it was Fable (or would became Fable).

Been flicking through old editions of The One but had no luck locating the game mentioned on the previous page, the polygon Deus Ex type thing around 92-93.

I may be wrong but the oft mentioned 'Project Dmitri' in hushed reverent tones became everyone's favourite Pubescenct, Animation, Emotive, Discoverer Offspring simulator 'Milo and Kate'.

edit: If you're going to be a smart ass check your acronym first..

Goodness, one I often bring up that I'd some how forgotten until now - Into The Shadows!

When I saw it, it was on the PC. I remember it because the team behind it had been demo makers back in the day.

http://www.unseen64....urn-unreleased/

What was that Mike Singleton game where you flew around the planet? It was sort of on rails but claimed to have mapped the entire planet for you to fly over. EDIT: Seem to be HSX: Hypersonic Xtreme, which turned up on the PS2.

Another one but I think it did appear - QAD I think it was, by John Ritman.

I remember seeing one or two gameplay videos of Unity; the Virtual Light Machine (VLM) essentially formed a basis for the graphics of the game. I think the videos showed a Tempest-style segment and a side-on shooter format (like Defender or something), and the "walls" and backgrounds of these gameplay bits all looked like they had VLM effects projected onto them. Nothing hugely revolutionary then (in the Edge feature Minter said that it would be hard to pigeonhole since the gameplay would transform and evolve) but still kind of pretty...

I worked on a game called FUBAR for the Amiga in the late 90s. It got about half way done and was signed to a publisher, had previews in the last remaining Amiga magazines, and was advertised in magazines and at trade shows. The game was never finished (code never quite caught up with the rest of the game) and the team drifted apart. Later I saw Advance Wars on the GBA and did a facepalm to end all other facepalms - it was pretty much what FUBAR was going to be like.

i remember reading about that in CU Amiga.

It wasn't Captive 2 either, I played that (with it's weird texture decompression HD install thing that took hours...) - this was all flat shaded polygons, free movement not grid based.

I'm pretty sure it was called Cyberpunk (not to be confused with Cyberpunks) and yeah, it was all flat shaded with textured faces. I saw a couple of shots either in Amiga Power or CU back in the day.

I remember years ago, maybe around the time that Molyneux was showing off B.C, he talked in whispers about a game (or concept) codenamed Dmitri. Did anything ever come of that? Some how I can't see that it was Fable (or would became Fable).

B.C. looked utterly brilliant as well.

I may be wrong but the oft mentioned 'Project Dmitri' in hushed reverent tones became everyone's favourite Pubescenct, Animation, Emotive, Discoverer Offspring simulator 'Milo and Kate'.

He's correct, Dimitri became Milo.

Didn't Edge do a big interview with Minter about that game with a front cover and everything? What ever happened to it? Too much for one man? i heard that bits of it was used for the 360's music player

There's a piece about what happened to cancelled games which got Edge covers in this months issue.

The 3DO had loads of games that never made it to release but did make it to magazine. 3DO Mortal Kombat was the probably the big one. That and D2 for the M2, which was previewed in Edge. There was also a NG Star Trek game for the 3DO that was widely advertised and preview, which I have the concept art for but was never completed (By Spectrum Holobyte?)

3domk3.jpg

The Dreamcast had loads of cancelled games as it died a slow an painfull death. C&VG review Half Life in their November 2000 issue.

http://imageshack.us...440/page1o.png/

http://imageshack.us...402/page2n.png/

http://imageshack.us.../31/page3r.png/

That was depressing. I remember the last six of six issues of Dreamcast magazine running news stories along the lines of this is scrapped, that's been cancelled, no super monkey ball now. Very, very sad.

Putty Squad on the A1200 was the one I lamented the most after rinsing the demo until the disk stopped working. Any news on the Vita/PS3 versions?

Nope... It's been over a year since a PS3 release was even announced, nearer 18 months, with nothing. System 3 list a "October 2012" release date on their website, but that has been pushed back many times. The game is cursed to be eternal vapourware!

http://www.system3.com/index.jsp?i=813&s=1111

• 2 weeks later...

Im bad at this - i first thought of galleon which had a edge mag cover - i thought it was cancelled - but it did come out on the xbox! (ordred a copy from amazon for £2 - conflicting reports but it maybe 360 compatible :) )

Anyway:

Can anyone remember a gamecube title called Picasso I think - it was a stealth art theft game!

I had a google and couldnt find it - remember seeing it in N64 Magazine!, if i find a old mag with it in ill post it up!

Can anyone remember a gamecube title called Picasso I think - it was a stealth art theft game!

I had a google and couldnt find it - remember seeing it in N64 Magazine!, if i find a old mag with it in ill post it up!

If it is what I think it is...I think it was called Picassio?

Picassio was a stealth / thief game that was in development at Promethean Designs, in which the player would have had to steal artworks to “win” a bet with another thief. The project had a long development cycle: it started as a Dreamcast game, then it was postponed and passed through PS2 and GameCube. In all that time the only playable build that was made was a very basic one, and is the one that you can see in the video below: basically the character creeping about and some very basic AI. Most of the gameplay ideas did not get implemented at all. It seems that they started the game with a man protagonist in mind, but in later screens we can see a woman as the main character, so it could have been changed to appeal more to the young public.

The project got radically changed halfway through development when the company boss saw the then newly released Shenmue and basically decided to copy it. Picassio then turned into a half adventure, half stealth type game but didn’t get any further than some character/level designs before getting canned. The company fell into severe financial difficulty and employees weren’t being paid for months. Subsequently they all left to work elsewhere and Promethean Designs went bust.

http://www.unseen64....ssio-cancelled/

E: more stuff in this IGN preview: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2000/01/25/first-look-picassio

I'm pretty sure it was called Cyberpunk (not to be confused with Cyberpunks) and yeah, it was all flat shaded with textured faces. I saw a couple of shots either in Amiga Power or CU back in the day.

Yep, that sounds like it. Nice one!

I remember Cyberpunks too, cutesy Chaos Engine sort of thing - never got to play that one.

Here's one for you, although it did get released the preview looked fairly different compared to the finished product.

Im talking about Turrican 2 on the Spectrum.

The previews made the game look as if it was going to be another corker...

turri2mockys.png

The finished product looked a fair bit different and in all honesty, a bit crap compared to the first game...

turrican2zx.png

Anyway, I was a bit bored the other day and wondered what it could have looked like on the Speccy if they had stuck closer to those mock up screen shots. Apart from a bigger main sprite, the rest of the graphics just have colour differences.

This sort of mock up previews happened a lot towards the end of the Speccy's life. Did other formats sufferer mock up syndrome?

turri2mock.png

Armalyte 2 was another one - the sequel to one of the best scrolling shooters on the C64. Wikipedia cites "contractual problems and a lack of money" for the reasons behind it's disappearance, but more Armalyte goodness would have been more than welcome - I played the first game a few years back with people online over netplay and it's still a brilliant shoot 'em up. There is a preview of the game over at GTW, but it would have been great to see another amazing shooter released in the C64's later years...