Games featured in magazines that never got released

Preacher

Does anyone remember a sort of ultra primitve Deus Ex style first person cyberpunk game, supposedly for PC and Amiga in the early 90s? It had really basic polygon graphics with very blocky texture mapped character faces. The previews made out there was a whole city to explore and how amazing the AI was and how NPCs had their own routines they would follow throughout the day etc.

Bullfrog were masters of this in the mid-late 90s. There are two that I remember being excited about, one which I particularly mourn. The first I only have vague recollections of: some sort of aquatic, first-person adventure. Clearly, it made a great impact...

More memorably, I remember a promised superhero game The Indestructibles, where you could design your own character and powers, with fairly freeform gameplay. The scant few screenshots hinted at a shadowy, 3D city, which pushed all the right buttons (Bullfrog's best series featured exactly such a setting, after all). Alas, little more was ever said about it and it vanished into the ether.

Does anyone remember a sort of ultra primitve Deus Ex style first person cyberpunk game, supposedly for PC and Amiga in the early 90s? It had really basic polygon graphics with very blocky texture mapped character faces. The previews made out there was a whole city to explore and how amazing the AI was and how NPCs had their own routines they would follow throughout the day etc.

Not Captive...or Corporation?

Bullfrog were masters of this in the mid-late 90s. There are two that I remember being excited about, one which I particularly mourn. The first I only have vague recollections of: some sort of aquatic, first-person adventure. Clearly, it made a great impact...

More memorably, I remember a promised superhero game The Indestructibles, where you could design your own character and powers, with fairly freeform gameplay. The scant few screenshots hinted at a shadowy, 3D city, which pushed all the right buttons (Bullfrog's best series featured exactly such a setting, after all). Alas, little more was ever said about it and it vanished into the ether.

I'd forgotten about The Indestructibles! Was the other game called Tube?

http://www.mobygames...ube/screenshots

Edit: seems Tube was released?

Yeah, Tube was released (for free, wasn't it? Or was it just a demo that I remember playing on a cover disc?). I'm sure the underwater game I'm thinking of was some sort of vaguely adventurey/RPGy thing.

I remember reading about a Amiga Sonic port years back in 1991. Forget which magazine but it obviously never happened due to sonics popularity on Segas consoles.

Sonic the Hedgehog (Amiga)

Fast Facts on Sonic the Hedgehog

Developer: U.S. Gold

Genre: 2D Platform

Sonic the Hedgehog (Amiga) is a canceled port of Sonic the Hedgehog. From the few screens released the "port" seems to be along the lines of the 8-bit game and have original level design. The graphics seem to be redrawn also.

The Games Machine Article Translation

Recently, Sega decided to port Sonic to arcades (it’s not usual to see a home console title ported to coin-op!) and to grant the license to US GOLD for the creation of [sonic 1] in various computer formats. I doubt that on computer (except for the PC) they will achieve the same levels of speed that you can see on console, however, judging from the photos that arrived in the office, it seems that they’re doing very well!

Sonic1AmigaGHZ.JPG

Doesnt look amazing mind.

Not unreleased, obviously, but Sega Power ran massive previews of Mortal Kombat 3 that must have been total fictions but presented as news. Things like Goro's dad (iirc) . Kinda amazing.

This is the only mention I can find of it, with someone being banned for being a troll based on my memories:

http://www.mortalkom...e.cds?id=129524

Lol. Also, Go-nad. Lol.

I've got this issue upstairs - has cannon fodder mega drive on the cover and came with a micro machines 2 key ring - bad azz!

Yeah, Tube was released (for free, wasn't it? Or was it just a demo that I remember playing on a cover disc?). I'm sure the underwater game I'm thinking of was some sort of vaguely adventurey/RPGy thing.

Was it called Creation? (am I making it up that there was a game called that?)

Edit: No I'm not! Have no idea where I remember that from.

http://www.unseen64.net/2009/06/18/creation-pc-cancelled/

Was it called Creation? (am I making it up that there was a game called that?)

Edit: No I'm not! Have no idea where I remember that from.

http://www.unseen64....n-pc-cancelled/

You beauty! That's the one. Of course, even if either had been released, they'd probably have been nothing like their previews, thanks to Bullfrog being such a daft, over-ambitious lot. Hell, their aptitude for not releasing games would continue with Lionhead (albeit from secondary companies within the umbrella): BC and Unity by Intrepid Studios and Jeff Minter, respectively. And, of course, for generally making games that are nothing like their previews.

Still loved the buggers for the ambition, mind; the recent years of Fable stagnation have been distressing, and without the Molyneux effect I wonder if they'll ever recover.

It's quite "recent" and perhaps not that obscure, but there was that Dead Phoenix game that was supposed to be one of the "Capcom Five" games released to try and boost Gamecube sales (the other four were Viewtiful Joe, P.N.03, killer7 and Resi 4) - from what I gather it was supposed to be a 3D shooter in the style of Panzer Dragoon, and it looks like it could have been good...

EDIT - others here:

I find it difficult to count that as a true Amiga. I understand that half the fun of owning an old computer is upgrading the system, but that is so far removed from a 'standard' Amiga it is untrue, when you consider that a retail A1200 had a processor speed of 14Mhz. You may as well take the innards of an Xbox 360, shove them in a C64 case, and claim that you have the Commodore version of Halo Reach running.

Of course its a true amiga. Its just upgraded. Like getting a mega cd add on for the megadrive.

(unless im mistaken that the board of the a1200 gets completly replaced)

It's quite "recent" and perhaps not that obscure, but there was that Dead Phoenix game that was supposed to be one of the "Capcom Five" games released to try and boost Gamecube sales (the other four were Viewtiful Joe, P.N.03, killer7 and Resi 4) - from what I gather it was supposed to be a 3D shooter in the style of Panzer Dragoon, and it looks like it could have been good...

Oh man, I remember being pumped for those 5 games. It's a shame that only RE4 and Viewtiful Joe turned out to be classics, and their prestigiousness (is that even a word?) was somewhat dampened by being ported to other consoles. Dead Phoenix was my most wanted of the bunch, but I do remember being disappointed on Killer 7's release after anticipation had reached boiling point.

Sounds like Captive 2: Liberation. That actually came out - amazing intro and it got ecstatic reviews, but I found the game absolutely baffling.

It wasn't Captive 2 either, I played that (with it's weird texture decompression HD install thing that took hours...) - this was all flat shaded polygons, free movement not grid based.

Back on topic, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, it was originally destined for PS1, N64, & PC. The PS1 version was cancelled, and the N64 version was only released in the US, and then only available through Blockbusters I believe.

The N64 version also refuses to work in any emulators (at least when I last checked a year or so ago). I finally managed to play it recently through an N64 flashcard, and while it is obviously dated, I think it would have done very well, critically at least, if it had a worldwide launch at the time it was ready. I still found it enjoyable now.

...or you could have just played the PC version, probably a bit easier to 'emulate'...

(I had no idea that the console versions never came out)

I worked on a game called FUBAR for the Amiga in the late 90s. It got about half way done and was signed to a publisher, had previews in the last remaining Amiga magazines, and was advertised in magazines and at trade shows. The game was never finished (code never quite caught up with the rest of the game) and the team drifted apart. Later I saw Advance Wars on the GBA and did a facepalm to end all other facepalms - it was pretty much what FUBAR was going to be like.

Issue 2 of Amiga Power had a big feature on Bullfrog's upcoming games - I remember it mentioned Magic Carpet (years before it actually came out, and with screenshots that showed a very different game).

One of the other games they mentioned sounded like a very early version of Syndicate.

And then they talked about a new "god game" they were making, too, which, I think ... was called Bob? Maybe this one eventually emerged on consoles?

I can't really remember, it was more than 20 years ago.

I remember years ago, maybe around the time that Molyneux was showing off B.C, he talked in whispers about a game (or concept) codenamed Dmitri. Did anything ever come of that? Some how I can't see that it was Fable (or would became Fable).

Been flicking through old editions of The One but had no luck locating the game mentioned on the previous page, the polygon Deus Ex type thing around 92-93.

Dungeon Keeper 3 is a game that makes me feel sad. It was barely talked about in magazines but Dungeon Keeper 2 had a 'preview' of it in the bonus section. No screens were shown but it was a video of Horny talking about going to new heights and actually setting Dungeon Keeper above ground. Then EA cancelled it never to be seen again.

Actually that reminds me there was a PSone version of Dungeon Keeper in the works and you can even see a video for in the intro to Theme Hospital.