Where am I? Another creepy game from the guy who made Slender

Moz

I was introduced to this and Slender yesterday and they really are the creepiest games I've ever seen (still unsure If I actually want to play them.) It seems less equals so much more with this kind of thing. Is Amnesia as fucked as these (and any good)?

Amnesia's great as it has a subtle Lovecraftian plot tugging you along which gives some context to the scares and locations. You read accounts of how the monsters are 'made' fairly early on and by the time you actually run into them your imagination is running wild. Negs ahoy but I didn't actually find it to be *that* scary though; dripping in atmosphere yes, but physical monsters have never actually done much to make me quake in fear.

Ghosts on the other hand... If you have a PS2, XBox or Wii do check out the Fatal Frame/Project Zero games. Creepiest games ever made bar none.

Amnesia's great as it has a subtle Lovecraftian plot tugging you along which gives some context to the scares and locations. You read accounts of how the monsters are 'made' fairly early on and by the time you actually run into them your imagination is running wild. Negs ahoy but I didn't actually find it to be *that* scary though; dripping in atmosphere yes, but physical monsters have never actually done much to make me quake in fear.

Ghosts on the other hand... If you have a PS2, XBox or Wii do check out the Fatal Frame/Project Zero games. Creepiest games ever made bar none.

I just checked out them Fatal frame games on youtube cos I'd never heard of them before for some reason.They look pretty cool apart from the slumbering RE style movement. Shame it doesn't seem to be 360 compatible.

I was introduced to this and Slender yesterday and they really are the creepiest games I've ever seen (still unsure If I actually want to play them.) It seems less equals so much more with this kind of thing. Is Amnesia as fucked as these (and any good)?

See, less can equal more with horror, but to me this and Slender are a little too....less? I don't know, they rely too much on jump tactics than they both amount to walking around to the scare pops up. They don't really do enough to build tension in the meantime, so once you know that it's coming, you're just walking around waiting for it. And in both cases, the scares really aren't that scary, it's totally relying on the jump factor.

I like horror games as well, but these don't hit the spot for me. Amnesia is pretty sweet though, that's how a horror game should be done.

• 3 months later...