rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Luke

2012 London Paralympics

Lets not just tag this on to the end of the Olympics thread. Fuck that shit.

Just came to comment, like Orbette, on how frigging awesome wheelchair basketball is. I think it may even be more awesome than handball.

Also, meant to comment last night on the swimmer who took the oath, and that comment was going to be "phwoar!".

Went round the Olympic Park today, lots of people, lots of smiley faces. Real buzz in the air about it. So looking forward to Saturday and the powerlifting final I'm going to see. Have a day pass for the ExCel too so will try and get in some Judo or Volleyball before.

Already doing epic work in the medal table too.

From the other thread > For anyone interested, Channel 4 have a good guide to the LEXI system to help understand the disability classifications.

http://lexi.channel4.com/index.html

We've wheelchair basketball tickets at the O2 tomorrow, then athletics on Saturday evening. Staying over in London too, so will go on another Wenlock and Mandeville statue hunt. Looking forward to it.

• Upvote 1

The end of normal time in that wheelchair basketball was immense!

I almost woke up my kids with my cry of anguish when GB just missed in the dying seconds.

I've also been trying to find somewhere online where I can place a bet on GB topping the medals table, but have failed so far.

One site (can't remember if it was Will Hill or Ladbrokes), had odds for total golds, but in quite small ranges, with 3 or 4 of thier ranges covering the range I predict we might get.

Yeah, I left by that one when I went to the stadium, as they claimed it was the quickest way out.

Fucking miles.

I don't like to think how long it took for people moving at the standard pace of the crowd, I just cut in and out like a madman, which was just as well, as I only just got to Marylebone in tIme for my train.

My legs were burning the next day, though probably also in part due to the fact I walked up the stairs at Marylebone, another big mistake.

Though, I did get on the first train in in West Ham (just), and may have had to wait ages at Stratford.

Saw this on Twitter, so you can take it with a pinch of salt but according to this guy (head of the disability charity Scope) the London 2012 Paralympics sold 2,300,000 tickets before the games started. Athens 2004 sold just 1000(!) and Beijing 2008 sold just 5000. Obviously there would have been huge walk ups in Athens and Beijing, but to have sold so many tickets in advance compared to the same event four and eight years ago is quite remarkable.

I don't like to think how long it took for people moving at the standard pace of the crowd, I just cut in and out like a madman, which was just as well, as I only just got to Marylebone in tIme for my train.

My legs were burning the next day, though probably also in part due to the fact I walked up the stairs at Marylebone, another big mistake.

You should have said hello. I work at Marylebone. :P

Average of 7 million watched the excellent opening ceremony, peak of 11 million. And being shown live in nearly 100 countries, but less than six hours highlights in the USA...

Great idea from Channel 4 to mix able bodied and disabled commentators/presenters. But very irritating presentation - ad break, this is what's been happening, live coverage for a few minutes, studio reaction, this is what's coming up, ad break and repeat.

To be fair to Channel Four, they are not as experienced as any of the other channels in covering this sort of thing. Most of the complaints can be excused by inexperience rather than incompetence.

As you say, the mix of presenters is a definite plus point. Clare Balding is well on the way to national treasure status.

WOO!! Mark Colbourne takes gold and a world record in the individual pursuit.

Jody Cundy however isn't happy.

There is a big debate at the Velodrome as Britain's Jody Cundy is given a 'Did Not Finish' after stumbling out of his starting block and asking for a restart.

The British cyclist was denied this by the judges, and arguments from his management team that he was held are rejected. A furious Cundy is remonstrating with those near him.

From the replay, I would say he was obviously stuck in the starting block.

I'm there now, sat by the river watching the Park Live in glorious weather.

Managed to catch some 5aside football (amazing skills) and some wheelchair basketball (excellent match), of later to the athletics. Should be a good one.

GB men having their arses handed to them here by Canada, and particularly Patrick Anderson, who's just so muh better than everyone else it's unreal.

Yeah, GB not doing so well in the basket ball this evening.

In better news, I've discovered the extra C4 Para channels on Freesat, where you don't seem to get adverts. Feel stupid for not using them yesterday now.

Went to the Goalball tonight. Guy at work had tickets and I wanted to go to the Copper Box as I hadn't been before.

Not a classic spectator sport. Dead silence, game mostly involved lying down in the right spot at the right time. It was pretty diverting, wondering what it might be like to play a game while blindfolded, figuring out the rules and tactics.

I guess they'd sold a lot of the tickets as those ones where you get to pick your own venue on the day, as the arena started about half full, and people steadily dribbled away. By the last game there were only a few hundred attending.

The general atmosphere in the Park was way down compared to the Olympics. Felt a bit like the last day of a festival when everyone's tired and ready to go home. I feel a bit melancholy really. A bit of a simulacrum of the Olympics, without the same thrill and flavour. For a while it felt like Stratford was the centre of the world, but not any more. It really is over.

On the other hand I went to Westfield last night to get my iPhone fixed and it was pretty interesting and heartening. Instead of the somewhat daunting Olympian perfection of the athletes milling around the mall, the diverse profusion of Paralympians was interesting in itself. The crowd was a different profile too. The easy availability of tickets in the early days meant that friends and family of particular athletes could easily get tickets and come and give specific support, and the low cost made for a noticeably less elitist demographic too.

Still got some horse dancing to see this weekend, and then that's London 2012 done for me.

• Upvote 1

It's different, certainly. I suspect some sports work better for spectators than others, but I'd admit to fatigue on the second wednesday of the games! Watching Anderson tear GB apart this evening was certainly more fun than watching Argentina beat the women's hockey team to the sound of the England band.

I'm quite looking forward to some athletics tomorrow evening, and the wheelchair rugby final next week.

Why did Channel 4 not set up shop inside the Olympic stadium where the BBC had been? Much better sets! More involved! BOOOOOOO!

Also the Basketball game last night that I sat through on C4 was half hour delayed/not live. Why didn't they just show it live? BOOOOOOO!

Enjoying it so far. Full of admiration for the competitors.

Went to the Goalball tonight. Guy at work had tickets and I wanted to go to the Copper Box as I hadn't been before.

Not a classic spectator sport. Dead silence, game mostly involved lying down in the right spot at the right time. It was pretty diverting, wondering what it might be like to play a game while blindfolded, figuring out the rules and tactics.

I was watching some of the football. With all possible respect, it is quite funny to watch in an endearing way. But to think about what they're actually doing is amazing. I was thinking that to actually stand blind in a featureless space like that and simply navigate is truly incredible. Negotiating around other players, following the ball and actually playing football is indeed something special. Shame it's all on CH4, really. The BBC Olympic coverage was amazing and this deserves the same treatment.

The athletics live is much better presented than the athletics on the first Friday. It probably helps that the large number of classifications mean there's about seven events going on at once.

The park was also completely heaving when we came in at 5.30, at least as busy as during the Olympics.