IGNORED

HarmoKnight - awesome new eShop title!

Keyboard Koala

Harmoknightlogo.jpg

Rhythm Hunter: HarmoKnight is a rhythm based platformer originally developed for the NDS by Game Freak, but now set for release as a downloadable title for the 3DS .

A musical planet known as Harmonia has suddenly come under attack by evil monsters known as Noizoids. It is up to a young boy named Tempo to beat the Noizoids and restore order to Harmonia.

Players control a young boy named Tempo as he travels through automatically scrolling levels. The aim of each level is to gather as many notes as possible, either found throughout the level or earned by hitting enemies and objects. These actions correspond with the rhythm of the music.
If Tempo is hit by an enemy or obstacle, he will lose a heart, failing the level if he loses all his hearts. Some segments will switch control over to other characters, such as Lila who uses a crossbow and Jinbei who deals with high and low enemies. Levels soon culminate in various boss fights, which require Tempo to repeat actions issued by the enemy.
There will also be bonus stages featuring music from other Game Freak titles such as Pokémon.

The game was announced during the latest Nintendo Direct presentation; and a playable demo was released on the Japanese eShop shortly afterwards.

Official Japanese mini-site : >> http://www.nintendo....aq7j/index.html

Official trailer:

Full demo video:

The game will be released in Japan on September 5, 2012.
An international release has yet to be announced.

CI7_3DSDS_HarmoKnight_Char7_CMM_small.pn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you think it should be cheaper?

Obv. can't say for sure yet, but an eShop title priced more than €10 or £8 better be something special.

How much was Rolling Western when it was released? I remember that being expensive as well, despite being a bit boring.

• 2 weeks later...

March 28th, apparently.

Official mini-site is up too: >> http://www.nintendo....ght-727424.html

For some reason, I'm looking really forward to this. If only because the main character, Tempo, reminds me of Alex Kidd.

CI7_3DSDS_HarmoKnight_Char1_CMM_small.png

Looking at the level map, it's like the game has a considerbale length too. May very well be worth the high asking price.

CTRN_AQ7_map_ad_mediaplayer_large.png

• 2 weeks later...

Very good indeed. The difficulty builds pretty gradual(nothing as bad as that wasp boss in the demo) and the production values are through the roof.

What excites me however is that we'll be seeing more of these kinds of games seeing as that Game Freak have changed their concepting process after this game.

Been playing the demo of this, its really good. Great graphics and sound, really fun to play and the boss stage is very Space Channel 5.

Could have been REALLY great, but it seems too easy and the lack of ¨perfect¨ ratings really lets the game down. You can play perfectly, collect every note on a level but you only get ¨great¨, which is the same as missing loads of notes and taking lots of damage. Really spoils things. Would have been so much better and added to the longevity with a proper rating system.

Can't you score higher than you do by just collecting the notes by also charing and releasing your attack instead of just tapping it in time? I've only played the demo so I don't know for sure, but I thought you got a bigger score for that (as well as bashing the optional plants and stuff)?

You can collect everything in a level perfectly, including all the optional stuff, you still just get ¨Great¨ at the end. The Edge review mentions it. They should have had a ¨perfect¨ rating, giving you an incentive to play well and go back to levels.

Yeah, but if you're playing through a stage perfectly then you'll get the max score possible! I suppose what i'm saying is the game should reward you for playing well. I personally think it'd work far better with a proper rating system. It'd cater to more people having that added level of challenge. Odd why they've left something so obvious out really.

how do you know if you've got the max score possible?

Well i played through the first level and got "great" at the end. I assumed this meant there was going to be a ranking system, that i'd be able to perfect a level and be rewarded with a AAA/S rank or whatever. I love that kind of stuff! So, i jumped straight back into the level and within a few goes had collected everything, hit all the optional stuff in the background perfectly. The reason i was playing, (and the reason i was really enjoying playing) was to get the top rank. I finished with a perfect run, scored something like 173 but then realised its pointless doing this as you still only get "great". The game is more a case of just making it through the levels. I can't understand why there isn't the added challenge of perfecting stuff to keep more skilled players involved or add longevity to the game.