IGNORED

Looking back at the Wiis Launch and comparing with Wii U

Ketchup

MK7 is my favourite too. Super Circuit is too twitchy, the frame rate is choppy and it looks like pixelated sick at times.

The ghost times, multiplayer, 60fps, excellent selection of tracks old and new all add up to something pretty damn great in 7.

The original is nice but I wouldn't choose to play it nowadays over MK7.

A machine which will be able to kick it with the boxes being brewed up in Redmond and Tokyo, and with guaranteed comprehensive support would do it. Get Iwata and Miyamoto to sign it in their own blood and I'd be sold. Finally a console from Nintendo where we could have our cake and eat it too, they did promise to at least sort out the licensee situation with the Wii U, but the evidence so far is a mite shaky even on that front.

If you buy a box from Sony or Microsoft, worrying about whether you're going to get decent software support is pretty far down your list of priorities, it's pretty much a given, not so much with the last few generations of Nintendo boxes, which you buy if you can't live without Nintendo's own software.

But they did that with the cube and look what happened there. They've said they're out of the tech arms race again and again, why the hell would they go there again?

MK7 is probably the best Mario Kart when looked at it objectively. The only post-SMK game where this clsim is possible. The original holds such a dear place in my heart, I find it hard to say anything against it. But the reality is, playing it on VC then playing the 3DS version, the newest one is far less annoying in many ways. SMK still beats all in time trials and battle mode though, just not in single player racing.

NSMB2 is lovely, but only a buffoon prefers it over NSMBW, which is the King of all 2D Mario games.

What, what, WHAT!?!?!??! i doubt even the most hardened nintendo fanboy would say that, i think you need to play the original or super circuit again and refresh your memory. Its the 20th anniversary of the original, you fanboys should be all over that shit.

Basically NSMB2 is the best of the NSMB, not a great achievement but i still find more enjoyment out of Rayman Origins or Apple Jack

the original is nice as a piece of nostalgia... but I'd much much rather play MK7. It's the best version.

Rayman Origins is a game that features jumping, but it's level design just isn't up there. In NSMB2, every enemy placement is deliberate. They're not just there to be avoided, they're there to be used as platforms, or to provide the ability to rack up coins if you bounced on the koopa at the right time a bit back and found the hidden brick that gave you a golden flower... yadda yadda

Apple Jack, again, is a puzzle game that features jumping. It's great... but it's a different type of game completely.

I keep waggling the 3DS to see if I can get a wee extra boost to my jumps...

What, what, WHAT!?!?!??! i doubt even the most hardened nintendo fanboy would say that, i think you need to play the original or super circuit again and refresh your memory. Its the 20th anniversary of the original, you fanboys should be all over that shit.

It's clearly better than either of those. Super Circuit is terrible and the original is showing it's age. The only area in which it's better than MK7 is the battle mode, which they've really fucked up in the last few games.

The only area in which it's better than MK7 is the battle mode, which they've really fucked up in the last few games.

Only area? Ghost Valley 1 time trial is still the pinnacle of score attack video gaming.

You're missing out if you're not playing NSMB2

This to me typifies the problem.

I'm sure that I am missing out. I'm sure that if I played NSMB2 I'd quite enjoy it, but the fact is there are many games that I'm currently missing out on, and for whatever reason NSMB2 isn't able to make a strong enough case for it to be prioritised. A few years ago it might have been different, but today a relatively safe update of a long running franchise simply doesn't have the weight when compared to everything else that's on offer.

Sure launch line-ups are generally poor, but with the others you know what you'll be getting. A technological advancement, a solid on-line infrastructure, good 3rd party support etc. The problem with the Wii U is that Nintendo have come out with a left-field controller and tried to convince everyone that it's what we need to be playing games, whereas the reality is that they don't seem to have convinced anything to me at all. I still don't understand the vision. I can't imagine why it will be useful to me. I'm not saying that it won't emerge as an interesting way forward, but the launch line up should at least make a stronger case of demonstrating that potential.

the original is nice as a piece of nostalgia... but I'd much much rather play MK7. It's the best version.

Rayman Origins is a game that features jumping, but it's level design just isn't up there. In NSMB2, every enemy placement is deliberate. They're not just there to be avoided, they're there to be used as platforms, or to provide the ability to rack up coins if you bounced on the koopa at the right time a bit back and found the hidden brick that gave you a golden flower... yadda yadda

Apple Jack, again, is a puzzle game that features jumping. It's great... but it's a different type of game completely.

I keep waggling the 3DS to see if I can get a wee extra boost to my jumps...

Someone's not played much Rayman.

And that, but Mario Kart Wii did time trials better than any other Mario Kart game. In fact it did them better than pretty much every other game.

Every game except the original. Time trailing in SMK still trumps the rest of the series by quite some margin. The ways the oringal have aged has nothing to do with the handling, which is as pin sharp today as it was in 1992.

Same problem all the 3D Mario Karts have. Tracks are too long/wide, power-ups too random / over-used.

The original is tightly designed and perfect, graphics be damned.

There's great selection of tracks including some of the older shorter ones. And whilst they're wider they also feature short cuts and alternative routes, so if you're TTing it it's still just as thrilling.

I like the new point to point courses and none of them are too long. I can't accept that criticism.

I must admit I never played the 2D "classic" Mario platformers at the time, I was a C64/Speccy gamer in the 80's then gave up gaming until the Playstation/N64 era, but I really don't get the Mario 2D game love at all. I've found every single one of them to be highly over-rated.

The last five years in gaming have exploded. Be it online, handheld, touchscreen, iOS, FPS, RPG, waggle etc. etc. I doubt Wii U will do anything as radical as the Wii.

I'm pleased people appear interested in Zombi U but if I'm being honest, it looks like another Ubisoft cash in a la Red Steel. In saying that, If they can pull of Condemned style melee combat combined with a Dark Souls challenge then it might be worth watching.

I can think of at least ten other games out this year I'm looking forward to more though.

Every game except the original. Time trailing in SMK still trumps the rest of the series by quite some margin. The ways the oringal have aged has nothing to do with the handling, which is as pin sharp today as it was in 1992.

Tthe online ghost sharing easily make the Wii version my favourite. I suppose it comes down to how compelling you found the tracks for time trialling. I don't think the new Wii tracks were the best in the series, but the way they handled competing with friends and everyone else more than made up for it.

There's great selection of tracks including some of the older shorter ones.

There are two SNES tracks and they're too wide, filled with excess stuff and don't play like the original game due to the fact that the handling is completely different. It's like saying MGS4's Chapter 4 is "just like playing MGS1" because it's set in the same level. It's not.

There are two SNES tracks and they're too wide, filled with excess stuff and don't play like the original game due to the fact that the handling is completely different. It's like saying MGS4's Chapter 4 is "just like playing MGS1" because it's set in the same level. It's not.

Bloody hell, who stepped on your petunia's today?

It's not really like that at all. I appreciate that you prefer the original more, but I still don't accept your criticism that the tracks are too long. They are the length they're intended to be - not too long or too short. They work.

I don't have a problem with tracks being wider either. If you're competing against time you'll still need to take the optimum route/racing line, and it makes the expanded multiplayer more fun.

I love the original but there's no way I'm gonna play it on my own when I could be competing online in races and against ghosts. The pluses far outweigh the minuses. Although its criminal that they don't do friends ghosts TT like on the Wii version.

Bloody hell, who stepped on your petunia's today?

Petunias.

It's not really like that at all. I appreciate that you prefer the original more, but I still don't accept your criticism that the tracks are too long. They are the length they're intended to be - not too long or too short. They work.

You don't accept, or you don't agree? It's my opinion, I don't need you to agree, I'm just explaining what I think is wrong with modern Mario Kart. I think that narrow tight tracks and short laps are more interesting and fun, and I think Nintendo could revive that style of kart racer again, maybe as a downloadable title, 'Mario Kart Classic' or something. Short tracks, five laps, minimal (avoidable) power-ups, all that jazz.

It's clearly not a controversial or unusual opinion, at least not around these parts. Loads of people have expressed similar preferences.

I love the original but there's no way I'm gonna play it on my own when I could be competing online in races and against ghosts.

Well, why not? I wouldn't avoid a game because it lacks a modern feature.

You don't accept, or you don't agree? It's my opinion, I don't need you to agree, I'm just explaining what I think is wrong with modern Mario Kart. I think that narrow tight tracks and short laps are more interesting and fun, and I think Nintendo could revive that style of kart racer again, maybe as a downloadable title, 'Mario Kart Classic' or something. Short tracks, five laps, minimal (avoidable) power-ups, all that jazz.

It's clearly not a controversial or unusual opinion, at least not around these parts. Loads of people have expressed similar preferences.

That doesn't explain what's wrong, in your opinion, with the newer tracks.

Well, why not? I wouldn't avoid a game because it lacks a modern feature.

Because I enjoy the modern features. They make it more enjoyable overall.