IGNORED

Looking back at the Wiis Launch and comparing with Wii U

Ketchup

Is this when we magically all dismiss a 2D mario...

It isn't really a new 2D mario now is it? Its another addition to the new Super Mario Bros series which has been milked already, and frankly has been so poor I don't consider it a true 2D mario. Granted the WiiU version so far is looking nicer than it predecessors but its hardly a sequel to Mario World or Yoshi's Island/Story done in the magical 2D art style that Nintendo were once reknown for.

I don't get this. The Gamecube had an entire raft of hardcore pleasing Nintendo Software, and sold the least of that generation. This so called "core" are not what is needed any more. I've no idea what Nintendo actually need to appease people, but seeing as they'll be getting BLOPS2 and AC3 on day and date of release with the 360 and PS3, I don't know what else you want them to do. A new Metroid or Zelda or Galaxy will not bring these so called masses of core gamers flooding to the machine.

I found the Gamecube to be the most dire period for Nintendo's output, sure they made some great stuff but compared to what they did on the N64 and SNES beforehand? their quality had obviously tailed off.

One thing Nintendo has to do is top releasing so many damn spin offs. Mario in this and that etc, keep themselves reined in to their core franchises and maybe create a few new ones, not only to improve the quality of their games but also to attract more third party support who are obviously put off developing for Nintendo machines due to the strength of Nintendo's own franchises. Also its time to put a few series to bed, this ain't going to be popular but do we seriously need another Smash bros, Mario Kart, Zelda etc? They've been getting steadily worse for years and i can't see any further sequel being able to develop the series any further.

It's funny how when MS announced Smartglass everyone lost their shit.

Yeah - let me put down my controller so I can now pick up my phone...

People lost their shit? I mainly noticed most people doing a big old shrug, proclaiming it could be handy to get some stats and stuff when watching sports or maybe to look up some background stuff in Skyrim or something and were generally pretty unimpressed IIRC. Also, I don't think I have seen anyone speaking about it after the reveal, how they couldn't wait or sketching out ideas. So rather than people losing their shit, it seems they don't give a fuck really.

Mario Kart 7 is the best Mario Kart. NSMB2 is the best if the recent 2D Marius. Skyward Sword was excellent...

Nothing has been getting steadily worse for years

If the WiiU was launching with a new CoD or Gears or Halo folks would be excited.

So - are Nintendo doomed again or what?

I guess I'm harking back to the days where everything Nintendo did impressed me. Going from all the amazing, creative shit they put out on the SNES, to the move to 3D with the N64 and watching them reinvent everything with an added dimension.

Maybe it's me that's changed, or grown up, or whatever, but I honestly don't think their output quality now is comparable to those days.

As well as getting regular(ish) and innovative updates of their classics like Mario and Zelda, we also got things like Wave Race, 1080 & F-Zero, that felt new and exciting.

I just don't think the stuff they've shown so far for the Wii U has the same pull. Like I say though, maybe I've just grown up and become jaded, but I'd love them to surprise me again like they have in the past.

Oh, and Scott, Nap's right. Skyward Sword is fucking shite. My least favourite Zelda by some way. And to think, Link To The Past is one of my all-time favourite games.

I couldn't give a monkey's uncle what you lot think - if I can pick up Pikmin 3, Zombi U, and maybe even Project P-100 within the first few months of the Wii U launch I'll be a happy camper. I can just never understand the numbers game that some people on here play - I mean to me it makes absolutely no difference if 5 or 500 games are available in the first few months - I can only buy, and even more importantly play, 2-3 of them. Further down the line I can then consider stuff like Nintendo Land (or even Mass Effect 3, Ass Creed, Aliens etc) if time allows and they are needed.

My one huge gripe with a lot of gamers - if they don't play it on launch then for some reason it's just not worth their time a few months later. Total madness IMO.

I can just never understand the numbers game that some people on here play - I mean to me it makes absolutely no difference if 5 or 500 games are available in the first few months - I can only buy, and even more importantly play, 2-3 of them.

True enough, but I'm not getting excited about a launch that has games that 'look quite good.' I want launch games on the same level of the ones that launched with Nintendo consoles before the Gamecube. Stuff on the same level as Super Mario Bros, Pilotwings, Mario 64 and F-Zero.

What am I supposed to do, get younger? I didn't realise growing up wasn't allowed by Nintendo.

THE POINT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>YOU

I got your back Scott :lol:

True enough, but I'm not getting excited about a launch that has games that 'look quite good.'

See, right now I'm prepared to believe that at least Pikimin 3 (given the previous titles and the moderately well-known person behind it) is going to be a little better than 'quite good'. I guess it's a glass half full or half empty scenario - and Pikmin fills my glass (with that golden nectar that's going to make my flower bloom obv).

I'll give you it for the NSMB game though - leaves me totally cold personally, and I'd not be at all interested if that was all that was on offer.

True enough, but I'm not getting excited about a launch that has games that 'look quite good.' I want launch games on the same level of the ones that launched with Nintendo consoles before the Gamecube. Stuff on the same level as Super Mario Bros, Pilotwings, Mario 64 and F-Zero.

Why do Nintendo get singled out for this? There were some decent games on the 360 launch and a couple of ok titles on the PS3 launch, but some people were still frothing at the mouth to get them, yet Nintendo have to provide paradigm shifting software from the get go to sate people's appetites. I don't get it.

Why do Nintendo get singled out for this? There were some decent games on the 360 launch and a couple of ok titles on the PS3 launch, but some people were still frothing at the mouth to get them, yet Nintendo have to provide paradigm shifting software from the get go to sate people's appetites. I don't get it.

I'm not singling Nintendo out, although this is a thread about the WiiU launch. The PS2 had a lousy lineup and the 360s wasn't much to shout about. Nintendo do have a history of genre defining games though, why shouldn't people expect them to continue their earlier traditions, or at least want them to?

Nintendo do have a history of genre defining games though, why shouldn't people expect them to continue their earlier traditions, or at least want them to?

I think everyone wants them too, it's just that I think expecting them to do it at launch all the time is a little optimistic. I have very, very, very, very little doubt that when they eventually release a 3D Mario title for instance it'll be a doozie.

I see two camps really: Camp A - trusts that good stuff is going to come from at least Nintendo, and is prepared to invest now, play some of the launch games, and ride out the obligatory post-launch drought. Camp B - Doesn't see enough value in the launch games to make the investment worthwhile immediately, but will probably reconsider when somebody delivers something clearly AAA.

Both camps have perfectly reasonable arguments, and I don't see why anyone should be criticised and/or labelled for being in either of them.

I'm not really that fussed, but I think I'm over Nintendo generally. The Wii never really got much use and I sold my 3DS the other day - I think my gaming interest is shifting more toward the PC and the tidal wave of indie stuff on there. I'm more excited about They Bleed Pixels tomorrow than I am about a new Mario platformer.

The 360 and PS3 also both have a lot of third party support, and thus every month there is pretty much something decent out. Nintendo? Not so much.

Which makes sense, because all of those games are multiplatform and there isn't a Nintendo console capable of running them. What was the last notable third party exclusive retail game? I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting, but there certainly aren't many of them.

The Wii U should be different because it's more than capable of running those games, and in some cases they'll benefit from the extra power and controller stuff, but for those most part they'll basically be the same game.

I'm not sure we're going to see a huge number of big budget, exclusive retail games though. I just don't think many are willing to take the risk.

People create platformwrs that are about half as good as NSMB2 but, because they look different, they're the most amazing games ever - when they arent

I didn't say it was the most amazing game ever - that's quite clearly Max Payne 3. This is the problem with your debating style, everything is always an extreme; I can't have just got tired of Nintendo (making no criticism of them, just a personal opinion of how I feel), you need instead to insinuate that I'm some kind of hipster who cares only about looks.

I'm sorry my opinion didn't mesh with your own Scott, I hope you can still enjoy the WiiU. Naturally, I'll keep my eye on it and change my mind if more stuff appeals.

THE POINT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>YOU

I got your back Scott :lol:

See, right now I'm prepared to believe that at least Pikimin 3 (given the previous titles and the moderately well-known person behind it) is going to be a little better than 'quite good'. I guess it's a glass half full or half empty scenario - and Pikmin fills my glass (with that golden nectar that's going to make my flower bloom obv).

I'll give you it for the NSMB game though - leaves me totally cold personally, and I'd not be at all interested if that was all that was on offer.

You might have his back, but I still don't get this 'point', so instead of being a smart arse, why don't you try and explain?

I'm just saying I don't feel Nintendo's proposed launch window games for the WiiU hold anywhere near as much interest for me as they have in previous generations.

They keep banging on about wanting the core back, and at least they seem to be trying to attract better third party support, but their own stuff isn't looking all that interesting.

As Farley said, a Pilotwings, F-Zero, Wave Race, SM64, whatever, would be good, but as it stands it's looking like a pretty weak launch.