IGNORED

Looking back at the Wiis Launch and comparing with Wii U

Ketchup

Only thing interesting me is Pikmin 3, and even then it's not like I'm the biggest Pikmin fan.

There'll be exciting things to get the WiiU for eventually no doubt. But launch looks shite indeed.

Wii excited because it truly tried to do things differently/new, a thing Nintendo has always been known for with their systems. With the WiiU, many games will require Wii controllers to get the 'full' experience, that factor in of itself will separate genuinely new experiences and cause Nintendo problems down the road.

I was a massive Nintendo fan, but the Wii has left me hugely disillusioned. After the novelty of it wore off, the only outstanding games for the system were the Mario Galaxy games. They'll have to release a new 3D Mario or an F-Zero game before they drag me back in.

I think a large part of the problem is Nintendo demoing the likes of Batman and Mass Effect 3 at E3. They were old news then and will be older news by the time the WiiU comes out. Given, if they were suped-up PC visual versions then that'd be different but it's clear now that they aren't.

Nintendo need to show a reel of 20-30 games, even if some of them are only a few seconds of footage, and they all need to be titles we haven't heard of before. The likes of Batman need to be a footnote at best - something Nintendo can toss out there like "oh, yeah, we've got that too".

I remember back in the N64 days I had a VHS tape like this. Loads of games on it (some never got released!!) but it got me fired up about the console.

I worry sometimes that console manufacturers put too much into that one "killer app" game, when really I want 15 or so games that all look fun, with perhaps 1 or 2 particularly awesome titles.

Having one seriously amazing app, and a lot of 'good' ones isn't really a problem, as long as that one app really is special, like Mario 64 special. I don't see anything in the WiiU lineup that comes close to being as good as even Mario Sunshine, let alone 64.

The hardware isn't even particularly interesting.

I reckon this is rather revisionist.

Pre Wii launch there wasn't a lot of hype for Twilight Princess, people were getting a little tired of the format and most of the posts were about "why don't I just get this on Gamecube" and comments about how the swings were just replacing buttons which was pointless because I already have my entirely arbitrary control method for swinging a sword here and it's called pressing the 'A' button, thank you very much.

And I don't really think the games that ended up being huge like Wii Sports and Wii Play were particularly hyped, the same stuff about "I don't have a big living room", "What if I want to sit down and play" and "it's just replacing a button" cropped up far more frequently, to the point where the number of threads created on these topics got a bit daft. It was only when people in the US got their hands on one that this stuff sort of evaporated and people realised the technology was sound.

And people at the time did care that it was underpowered, and cared about the lack of HD and the down-ports and third party support and everything else, it wasn't people coming together at the joy of something new like you claim, it was more the opposite, people terrified of something different. You can go dig up some pre-launch threads and get all of the above confirmed, if you want.

Saying that, I am baffled by Nintendo's idea of third party support with the Wii U - it's always been a weak point but when they showed stuff like Darksiders 2 and Batman: AC, I took that as a shorthand for "we have these developers and or franchises on board", but no, they are actually launching with a year old Batman game you can pick up for £2 now, that has a bunch of minigame style "our device does this" stuff tacked on (which people fucking hate wherever it appears, old Sixaxis "support" and current Vita games I'm looking at you).

i was alot more pumped for the wii, because the controls seemed so new, so fresh. i didn't realise how simplistic and they were in reality - because from afar it looked like Nintendo were doing something really different.

this time round, much more of the same old. looks like the wii and even with a big marketing spend will be confusing for people to tell apart from the original - and launch games that seem :seanr: because they are so uninspiring.

im sure it will be alot of fun to play, but i can't see it doing wii like numbers this time.

As much as I'm enjoying NSMB2, 2D Mario isn't something anyone is going to get excited about until they do something drastic with it. I'm sure NSMBU will be perfectly good, but it doesn't have nearly as much draw as a new 3D Mario.

But it does have a better art style than NSMB2, one big world map (supposedly) and possibly some interesting social stuff, so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Day 1 for me and that's without knowing what EAD Tokyo and Retro are up to. But these games alone make it a must for me:

8071.jpg

Origins was wonderful. I played this at Gamescom and it promises to be every bit as good, if not better. Uses the WiiU pad really well.

zu_comiccon_nursery_kitchen_zombies.jpg

Survival horror, baby!

SFywk.jpg

Hideki Kamiya and Platinum Games is a motherload of win. Game looks wonderful.

Is this when we magically all dismiss a 2D mario...

How many 2D Marios have there been lately? It's be nice if Nintendo showed they were trying to gain the 'core' market back, as they've said, by giving us something other than another 2D Mario.

Four in the last six years.

Feels like a lot more to be honest. Maybe it's because they're just iterations of what's gone before, rather than some all new innovative take on a genre, which Nintendo are usually at the forefront of.

The big problem with them is that on the surface they all seem to be the same, but each one has had a lot of new and interesting ideas in basically every level. They're just obscured by over reliance on the familiar world themes and scenery.

People are all about the surface though, just look at the boners people popped for Rayman Origins.

Feels like a lot more to be honest. Maybe it's because they're just iterations of what's gone before, rather than some all new innovative take on a genre, which Nintendo are usually at the forefront of.

You joking? Nintendo might be great at the hardware innovation, but when it comes to game design they are one of the most conservative companies around.

I'm sure this will lead to a barrage of examples otherwise (probably Mario Galaxy) but the fact is that Nintendo generally iterate on what has gone before.

I reckon this is rather revisionist.

Pre Wii launch there wasn't a lot of hype for Twilight Princess, people were getting a little tired of the format and most of the posts were about "why don't I just get this on Gamecube" and comments about how the swings were just replacing buttons which was pointless because I already have my entirely arbitrary control method for swinging a sword here and it's called pressing the 'A' button, thank you very much.

And I don't really think the games that ended up being huge like Wii Sports and Wii Play were particularly hyped, the same stuff about "I don't have a big living room", "What if I want to sit down and play" and "it's just replacing a button" cropped up far more frequently, to the point where the number of threads created on these topics got a bit daft. It was only when people in the US got their hands on one that this stuff sort of evaporated and people realised the technology was sound.

And people at the time did care that it was underpowered, and cared about the lack of HD and the down-ports and third party support and everything else, it wasn't people coming together at the joy of something new like you claim, it was more the opposite, people terrified of something different.

Saying that, I am baffled by Nintendo's idea of third party support with the Wii U - it's always been a weak point but when they showed stuff like Darksiders 2 and Batman, I took that as a shorthand for "we have these developers and or franchises on board", but no, they are actually launching with a year old Batman game you can pick up for £2 now, that has a bunch of minigame style "our device does this" (which people fucking hate wherever it appears, old Sixaxis "support" and current Vita games I'm looking at you).

Well I'd have to disagree on Twilight Princess - I and another couple of million Zelda fans were hyped for the game regardless of the format - as in its a new Zelda game - major excite. Its a shame overall, some great dungeons aside the game was a bit of a disappointment and lacked the character of Wind Waker but pre game I was psyched.

I do agree with the OP really - before the Wii came out there was some undoubtedly interesting games being trailered, the new control options were intruiging and exciting. I really wanted to play Wii Sports, I can remember that.

When the Wii U was originally announced I was excited - it looked interesting and the controller could have potential. But the E3 line up was more than awful - it was bitterly disappointing. What do we get? A HD remake of 2D Mario again, a sequel to one of the less interesting Nintendo IPs that no one really has missed and a collection of mini games that really needs to be a pack in but won't be because hey its Nintendo right? And well that was it.

I'm still bloody buying one mainly because:

a) I'm a bloody idiot

b) Its a Nintendo machine and great games will come

c) Its new hardware and I do so love me some new hardware - particularly some new hardware with pretty new controllers

d) I'm an idiot

It'll probably be the same as with the GameCube, the Wii and the 3DS. Not interested much at all, I'll claim I won't need it and that I'm 'done' with Nintendo's endless rehashes, then get excited by it and buy one come launch, proclaim it the best thing ever and then leave it gathering dust after 2 months, bitterly posting how Nintendo ruined my life when I realise I'm just once again playing Animal fucking Crossing and Super fucking Mario Remake.

I think the biggest problem with the launch line up is that it still fails to demonstrate what the Wii U actually is. The whole launch when compared to the Wii seems incredibly unfocused.

When the Wii was announced its message was consitent and clear. A strategy to get into the homes of non-gamers, with a piece of hardware intuitive enough to explain itself. Even if you didn't like the direction you could still imagine the Wiimote and how it might incorporate itself into familiar and new genres.

The Wii U has no such clarity. Ever since the botched E3 2011 reveal it still isn't clear to me why I need to be playing a console with a giant tablet-style game pad. Nintendo can't even narrow it down - the talk of asynchronous gaming a novelty at best, and I can't believe people up and down the land are squabbling over a solitary tv in living rooms. 3rd party ports with tacked on content won't do, something has to sell the supposed innovation of the Wii U to it's potential audience, and so far the launch line up seemingly fails to do just that.

If developers want to do a game that will only work with both screens, they can. Nintendo Land is an obvious example of something they've already shown that it won't be possible to play on the controller alone.

The problem is everything I've seen of Nintendo Land doesn't make me want to play it enough to buy the console. I guess the issue for me is that as yet no one has really made a convincing case for the controller, which you would assume has to be crucial for launch

It's be nice if Nintendo showed they were trying to gain the 'core' market back, as they've said, by giving us something other than another 2D Mario.

I don't get this. The Gamecube had an entire raft of hardcore pleasing Nintendo Software, and sold the least of that generation. This so called "core" are not what is needed any more. I've no idea what Nintendo actually need to appease people, but seeing as they'll be getting BLOPS2 and AC3 on day and date of release with the 360 and PS3, I don't know what else you want them to do. A new Metroid or Zelda or Galaxy will not bring these so called masses of core gamers flooding to the machine.

If developers want to do a game that will only work with both screens, they can. Nintendo Land is an obvious example of something they've already shown that it won't be possible to play on the controller alone.

I think everyone will release a game which requires the second screen, even if really it doesn't. Making the 'second screen for when your family wants to watch Newsnight' thing a bit redundant. Not that it matters that much, I'm just suprised Nintendo have been pushing that side so much.

The problem is everything I've seen of Nintendo Land doesn't make me want to play it enough to buy the console. I guess the issue for me is that as yet no one has really made a convincing case for the controller, which you would assume has to be crucial for launch

It looks like a much more polished Wii Play at the moment. By all accounts the launch game which really shows off what the controller can add is going to be ZombiU.

I think everyone will release a game which requires the second screen, even if really it doesn't. Making the 'second screen for when your family wants to watch Newsnight' thing a bit redundant. Not that it matters that much, I'm just suprised Nintendo have been pushing that side so much.

I think there will be quite a few multiplatform games which have some additional controller functionality when playing on both screens, but revert back to playing how they do on other consoles when switched to controller screen only. Mass Effect 3 has already been shown working exactly like that, I imagine Darksiders II and Batman will be much the same.