BlindSide - The audio adventure game

earlymodernsteve

Came upon this through a rundown of the shortlist for the Indiecade Awards. http://www.blindsidegame.com/

'What if the things in the night didn't just go bump? BlindSide is a terrifying new audio-only adventure game, set in a fully-immersive 3D world you’ll never see. Put on your headphones, close your eyes, and explore the darkness. Listen as the world rotates around you!

You play as Case, an assistant professor who wakes up blind, to find his city destroyed and mysterious creatures devouring people. Will you and your girlfriend be able to find your way without sight? How will you escape? Run for your life, navigate the darkness, and uncover the mystery of the apocalypse--all in the dark!'

It's a curio, but well worth the 2.99 download - particularly for those of you who thought that Slender would be even more fun if you couldn't see but could hear him breathing behind you. The key mechanic of stereo sound navigation works pretty well - although I'm playing it on PC and I think it would be even more effective on IOS so that you could actually move yourself as well to orientate against the sounds.

A quick summary of my 5 minutes playing just now goes as follows: Hmm, interesting; not sure I like the main protagonist's voice but hey-ho; ok I'm bumping into stuff but I'm getting the hang of it; gulp somebody's in trouble; this way to the hall; FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK, *hits ESC* Will try again in the daylight, whilst looking at a picture of a puppy and without having drunk coffee.