IGNORED

Toast of London "Yes, I can hear you Clem Fandango"

FishyFish

• 2 weeks later...

By coincidence, it was on this day five years ago that I changed my Facebook profile picture...

Screenshot_20220104-212206_Facebook.thumb.jpg.728bff2d0f066989dba40ffb4c3ed389.jpg

It's always amusing when people are surprised that I don't look like Steven Toast when they meet me in person.

Episode 3

Spoiler

If that's Matt Berry's real arse then you can call me Glen Cavelcade. Even though my name isn't actually Glen Cavelcade.

Cocoah Mankind gives the standout performance in this for me. I've never seen her in anything else but she's a revelation!

On 06/01/2022 at 15:47, Delargey said:

Fuck sake, I wasn't paying attention when watching and iplayer was set to the final episode so I've watched the end first!

I also did that . It made a lot more sense when I then fired up episode one

On 06/01/2022 at 15:47, Delargey said:

Fuck sake, I wasn't paying attention when watching and iplayer was set to the final episode so I've watched the end first!

HAHA!  I did that as well :)    all i can say is they better make another series quickly to see what happens!

On 05/01/2022 at 22:07, Swainy said:

What’s up with Doon Mackichan’s (Jane Plough’s) left eye in this series?

I noticed that too. If you Google “Doon Mackichan” the top autosuggest result is “doon mackichan eye” so a lot of people are clearly wondering the same thing. 

Nice to have this back but found this a bit disappointing to be honest.  Not quite sure I can put my finger on it but just didn't seem to land the right way.

Ep 6 Spoiler

Spoiler

I also really thought this was being setup for the Scramble Studios guys to be doing his star wars voice over.

On 05/01/2022 at 22:07, Swainy said:

What’s up with Doon Mackichan’s (Jane Plough’s) left eye in this series?

But only when she's playing Plough, not when she's playing Hooberman.

I think it might just be a joke. She hasn't made up one eye because it's under her hair. There are quite a few jokes in this that don't quite work, like the "call her pronto" one that's a bit of a groaner, or the bit where Toasts flatmate turns down the volume on his assistant, and some scenes that just seem to go on slightly too long. It's more than balanced out by the amazing jokes that do work, like Dr Harold Shitman and the Bowie party, but it does seem a bit flat in places.

I've been on an intermittent journey to catch up on the old episodes over the last few months and I'd say that's always been the case really. It's good that "Matt Berry stresses an unusual syllable" works so reliably across all of his roles (* I haven't noticed his droid in Boba Fett do it yet, admittedly).

On 11/01/2022 at 11:02, K said:

I think it might just be a joke. She hasn't made up one eye because it's under her hair. There are quite a few jokes in this that don't quite work, like the "call her pronto" one that's a bit of a groaner, or the bit where Toasts flatmate turns down the volume on his assistant, and some scenes that just seem to go on slightly too long. It's more than balanced out by the amazing jokes that do work, like Dr Harold Shitman and the Bowie party, but it does seem a bit flat in places.

I felt that something was off with the editing, or the pacing somehow.  As you say, some scenes, or parts of scenes, just felt like they went on slightly too long.  I don't know enough about TV production or editing to say for sure that's what the problem was, but something felt slightly off with the show.

But, as you say, the material and performances (and character names) were all as great as usual, and I'm enjoying it very much.

I'm always surprised when I hea his high pitched singing voice on song sections in the original series.

Also Matt Berry when he was starting out on some terrible yoof programme before developing the Matt Berry Voice™ (jump to 5.30).