rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
toythatkills

Dust: An Elysian Tail

Probably get a load of furry bashers against it though.

Remember when anthropomorphic game characters were just totally standard and didn't raise any eyebrows at all? Whatever happened to the good ol' days?

• Upvote 3

Remember when anthropomorphic game characters were just totally standard and didn't raise any eyebrows at all? Whatever happened to the good ol' days?

Furries happened.

Indeed.

(More importantly: the anthropomorphised animal characters of old were largely played for cuteness, in the 'let's appeal to kids' way. It's when they start being designed to look sleek, and cool, and sexy that they start to leave a sour taste in my mouth. Compare and contrast the design of the early Sonics to the later travesties for an example of this. And as this appears to be doing exactly the same thing, I fear I'll be giving the game a miss, despite it sounding interesting - I just don't think I'll be able to look past the aesthetic)

• Upvote 2

I'm glad I've never seen any of that, means I can actually enjoy what's looking to be a pretty incredible game without having nightmarish flashbacks every time I look at the character design.

Assuming it is, of course. Still waiting on impressions.

I actually think the art style in those stills looks a little weird and dare i say amateurish, especially the backgrounds and the slightly garish lack of colour schemes, But seeing that gif I dont think that will matter too much as it appears to be pretty slick to play.Definitely grabbing the demo.

I think it has been a fairly strong, if unspectacular SoA, but Dust, is a deserving headline act. It is one of the most beautiful games I have seen.

This and Darksiders II in a few days of each other. What a wonderful time we live in.

I think it has been a fairly strong, if unspectacular SoA, but Dust, is a deserving headline act. It is one of the most beautiful games I have seen.

This and Darksiders II in a few days of each other. What a wonderful time we live in.

Also Sleeping Dogs and then Counter Strike GO the week after too. It's a good 2 weeks :D

Oh man. Looks ace. I will be completely avoiding spoilers of any kind while playing it, since the devs even mention it in the blurb in the OP.

I love finding out about a game, that looks good, only to hear its out in less than a week! Amazeballs.

Yep, he did everything except the music and the voice acting basically..

Looks astonishingly pretty, the combat system seems fairly complex and it's 12-15 hours long (depending on if side-quests are done) according to those on GAF who got preview copies..

Posted this on GAF and I'll do the same here, on the subject of spoilers:

A lot of reviews are going to contain Dust: AET spoilers. These aren't things like plot, but instead are things that you REALLY don't want to be spoiled. Things that you'll love a thousand times more if you haven't had them ruined for you. Things that genuinely lessen the experience if you have them spoiled beforehand.

When posting, please use spoiler tags accordingly. It's obviously not going remain unspoiled forever, but the longer we can keep this thread spoiler-free, the more people will get to go into the game fresh.

I'm going to post reviews here as I find them, I will only link to reviews that are safe to read, and will just post the scores of the ones that aren't. If you want to ensure that your Dust: AET experience is as good as it can possibly be on Wednesday, then just read the reviews I link to - if you're not bothered by spoilers, just bear in mind that some people are, and so be careful with what you post!

A good rule of thumb would be that if you read something that makes you go "I didn't know that," then spoiler tag it!

------

And with that, hot off the presses comes The Indie Game Magazine, who give Dust: AET an embargo-breaking 90%!

This review is NOT safe, it contains spoilers.

A word of warning for anyone starting the game on Tough or above: be sure to upgrade your health early! I didn't and the first boss' attacks would kill me instantly, making all the health items I had saved pretty redundant. Other than that it's been fairly plain sailing, though.

Whilst I'm not really into the character design and tonally I'm finding the game a little disjointed, the fact I've sat here for over 3 hours playing it — putting off lunch in the process — speaks for itself. It definitely feels like one person's love letter to videogames, although it isn't lacking for polish or production.

At least this years SoA will be ending on a high, the rest of its been very disappointing.

Agreed. Really looking forward to this, but so far the House Party games have been far better than the Summer of Arcade ones.