vinyl lovers

Thank you for the recommendations, I'll take a look at those websites! Sorry I guess I was being a bit vague but I'm probably looking for something wooden and rustic looking.

Pine/oak places will often build things to design, so you could get something tasteful and ideally suited that way. Not cheap, but probably not more expensive than Swoon.

Got a weird mix of stuff today.

Fleetwood Mac greatest hits, happy Monday's pills thrills and bellyaches and the drive soundtrack.

That reminds me, I've still not bought Kavinsky. I keep expecting to see it in a shop, and then not doing.

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac or the inexplicably popular, diluted, shrill post-Green Fleetwood Mac?

Are you actually a 15 year old amateur music snob trapped in 1977, or is that just a look you're trying to cultivate?

Some bargains to be had in Fopp atm (at least in the Manchester store). Reissued Joy Division and New Order LPs and Sufjan's latest each going for £10.

By contrast I'm disappointed by how many single disc new releases are coming in at £20-22 now. I begrudge paying that unless it's something really special.

Majors ripping you off.

When I started out with vinyl a few years back just before vinyl really took off again fopp was great for records. Used to have quite an alternative selection and all priced from £10 to £15. I bought most of my budding record collection from them. Now its mainly pop/ pop rock at around £20.

Are you actually a 15 year old amateur music snob trapped in 1977, or is that just a look you're trying to cultivate?

You have the heavy blues era of Peter Green and afterwards the pop rock band which Fleetwood Mac is mainly associated with. I agree that the only Fleetwood Mac worth listening to is Peter Green's and afterwards they became pretty pish.

Well that told me :D Post Green era Fleetwood Mac is twee shite and not in th same league as the stuff they put out with Peter Green. No music snobbery intended, just my opinion.

I thought that I was to get a Pixies LPthrough the post but instead I received: post-8280-0-67561700-1445640295_thumb.jp

Contacted the seller, its a US seller on Amazon and they are blaming Amazon and saying that what I ordered is double what I paid so should give them the extra $20 if I want the Pixies LP or return the record to them so they can issue a refund of $20 and cost of postage (I paid $27). I basically told them to do one on those and told them that they either send me the item I paid for or to refund me the full $27 and $15 on top to cover postage to the US if they want the naff record they sent me back.

I'm exercising an uncharacteristic level of self-control by waiting to see if it ends up being a bit cheaper at Dodax or wherever. £24+ is a bit excessive for me, especially when Drag City pressings can be pretty variable in general. Weirdly it's more expensive on their own site than Have One On Me, despite the latter being one LP less and coming in a fancy box.

I'm exercising an uncharacteristic level of self-control by waiting to see if it ends up being a bit cheaper at Dodax or wherever. £24+ is a bit excessive for me, especially when Drag City pressings can be pretty variable in general. Weirdly it's more expensive on their own site than Have One On Me, despite the latter being one LP less and coming in a fancy box.

I hear you. I however have no self control when it comes to Joanna Newsom records and they seem to hold their value well. I doubt it will be a poor investment anyway from all the love it will get.

I'm not keen on Drag City as a label at all. They're very mercenary, which they claim they need to be due to their artists, but Bella Union have a very similar roster and they're generous and lovely.

£24 for an album without even MP3 codes (Bella Union gives a CD) is just shit.

Got CHVRCHES latest one today, clear vinyl loveliness. There's only really two stores near me that do vinyl - Barnes and Noble and Newbury Comics - and Newbury's selection is amazing. They have loads of limited runs on various coloured vinyl, got my eye on a copy of What's Going On on yellow vinyl when I next get paid. Good prices too, which is fantastic - the CHVRCHES album was $16, not bad at all.

I'm not keen on Drag City as a label at all. They're very mercenary, which they claim they need to be due to their artists, but Bella Union have a very similar roster and they're generous and lovely.

£24 for an album without even MP3 codes (Bella Union gives a CD) is just shit.

In fairness, Bella Union is a UK label so you'd expect Drag City to be a bit more expensive here. £24 is still taking the piss though.

Got CHVRCHES latest one today, clear vinyl loveliness. There's only really two stores near me that do vinyl - Barnes and Noble and Newbury Comics - and Newbury's selection is amazing. They have loads of limited runs on various coloured vinyl, got my eye on a copy of What's Going On on yellow vinyl when I next get paid. Good prices too, which is fantastic - the CHVRCHES album was $16, not bad at all.

Forget about coloured vinyl. It's a gimmick for people who out their vinyl in frames.

In fairness, Bella Union is a UK label so you'd expect Drag City to be a bit more expensive here. £24 is still taking the piss though.

The price isn't really that bad compared to many things, but it's the MP3/CD bit that's really annoying. Plus the lack of any streaming option too.

People who listen to vinyl in 2015 don't refuse to listen to music on their phones etc. Drag City know that and want to charge their (apparently few) loyal customers as much as possible for the same record. That's shitty.

Also, from a first listen I'm not massively in to it. It feels very crammed.

Forget about coloured vinyl. It's a gimmick for people who out their vinyl in frames.

We've had this conversation. Coloured vinyl is exactly as good as black vinyl, but might not last as long if you play it many times as it misses a protective layer.

Picture discs/multi-coloured etc. all have lower sound quality.

Well that told me :D Post Green era Fleetwood Mac is twee shite and not in th same league as the stuff they put out with Peter Green. No music snobbery intended, just my opinion.

They're completely different animals - it's fine to love Peter Green's music, and if you're into the 60s Brit Blues explosion, then you're less likely to be a fan of their later stuff.

They just aren't the same band, and you can't really compare them.

'Twee shite' is a bit harsh, although yes, Stevie Nicks' fey stage presence annoys the fuck out of me, too. But Rumours is a fantastic album, and 'Tusk' is nuts, in a good way.

Peter Green's stuff is awesome - such a great guitar player, with a tone to die for. Better blues player than Clapton, IMHO.

Eh, I don't really care about the colour as long as the music's good. Newbury's pressings (the ones I have anyway) are really nice and sound great - the fact they're on different colours is just an added piece of loveliness.

Rory Gallagher was the bestest. Irish Tour expanded edition is a must have on cd! Need to get original release on vinyl too.

Ah, a stunning player. Saw him at Hammersmith once - the stage looked like it was being struck; no backdrop, no set, just a mismatched backline of various amps. And Gallagher tearing up some awesome slide guitar, almost casually. The most informal gig I've ever seen in a venue that size.