Vinyl lovers

Oh Danny Boy

3 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

I think a new headshell would be a bit overkill. The metal connectors on the wires were brittle and the blue one snapped when I pulled it from the old cartridge. I’ve seen a set of wires on eBay that will hopefully do the job - just waiting for confirmation from the seller. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133698615781?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gipTyhXqR9i&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=-P0ExPgpRfq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

£3.50 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cartridge-Headshell-connector-connectors-cartridge/dp/B00L1E77F0

No idea if they're any good though.

• 1 month later...
On 17/09/2022 at 20:59, Agent L said:

Sad times as I packed up the vinyl today to go into storage for a while. Hi-fi gets packed up tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have it all back and set up in about 4 weeks.

IMG20220917204123-01.thumb.jpeg.71749b2e8b9b0d8a7e0fe80ae912244a.jpeg

Well, that was a long 4 weeks that turned into 13.

Set everything up again yesterday while everyone was at the house between presents and cooking etc.

The vinyl isn't all out yet so the first thing I spun was this year's reissue of Ben Howard's Burgh Island EP that I finally collected Christmas Eve after pre-ordering back in early October.

Interestingly, to me at least, is that it's 4 tracks but rather than be 2 per side at 45rpm it's got all 4 on side one at 33⅓. Side two is completely blank glossy vinyl. First time I've come across this. I've seen three siders a couple of times with etching but never totally blank. Was still £28 of course!

IMG20221225193847-01-01.thumb.jpeg.42778f64da26301e66b607be0a35ee69.jpeg

Quick question… when I lower the arm to the beginning of a record, it keeps moving quickly towards the grooves but always skips over the first wee bit, means I miss the very start of every first track on an album. How do I fix this? I’m using a Pro Ject T1 SB… it’s a decent player…

• 3 weeks later...

in other news, I raided my late dad's record collection this weekend - found his White Album, first run, numbered 52601 - that was cool.  Also, my mum had Abbey Road which looks as though it hasn't ever been played - that sounded amazing.

40 minutes ago, scottcr said:

in other news, I raided my late dad's record collection this weekend - found his White Album, first run, numbered 52601 - that was cool.  Also, my mum had Abbey Road which looks as though it hasn't ever been played - that sounded amazing.

Jealous, my Dad had The Blue Album in pretty tatty condition (plays ok though) but most of the rest was Cliff Richard and ABBA.

In other news, I got the new Gaz Coombes album on Friday (launch day) from the official store. It has 2 parallel scratches on track one that are barely audible but are pretty visible. Sent an email to the store at midnight Friday and got a reply midday today with tracking details for the replacement. Excellent service.

I could stream all this stuff - but there's something magical about dropping the needle on the crackly vinyl that my dad bought 55 years ago, he'd have been 23... can only imagine him getting it day one from the shop, he was a massive Beatles fan... then getting home and listening to Back in the USSR... amazing that it's the same record I was playing on Saturday.

So I’ll ask in here just because you’re vinyl heads! I’ve asked in Hi-Fi thread as well. 

I got the Nad 3020 amp which works a treat. Now I want a new turntable.  

Budget £300. I’m initial considering a Rega RP1 or an AT-LP5X. I noticed a few Audio Technicas posted in here. The RP1 seems like the HI-Fi choice but they’re both pretty good? Gonna get new speakers at some point so just want the best source I can for now. 

Any thoughts on those or other suggestions?

2 hours ago, Yiggy said:

So I’ll ask in here just because you’re vinyl heads! I’ve asked in Hi-Fi thread as well. 

I got the Nad 3020 amp which works a treat. Now I want a new turntable.  

Budget £300. I’m initial considering a Rega RP1 or an AT-LP5X. I noticed a few Audio Technicas posted in here. The RP1 seems like the HI-Fi choice but they’re both pretty good? Gonna get new speakers at some point so just want the best source I can for now. 

Any thoughts on those or other suggestions?

I have the Rega P1 Plus, which is the P1 with a built in preamp, since I didn’t have a receiver when I bought it. I know it’s Rega’s entry level model, but beyond more expensive materials, I don’t really know what more you’d get by spending more if I’m being honest. Build quality’s good, the tone arm is good, and the motor is silent. Annoyances are the piano black finish is impossible to keep clean, but they’ve changed that to matt recently, and having to take the platter off the move the belt if you want to change the RPM, which I very rarely need to. It’s not really upgradeable either, but again I’m not sure what getting into the constant cycle of upgrades would really get you other than worrying that it’s not good enough. I’d still like a P10 though despite doubting I could hear any difference with it. 

Yes, I think the only thing that would put you off a Rega is if you want onboard speed buttons, in which case you’d probably get one of those Audio Technica Technics imitations.

I’ve gone for an AT-LPW50PB which I’ve ordered on a warehouse deal which was far nearer my budget. I’ve heard nothing but good things and I wanted to try something different to the old school hi-fi decks. 

Tell you what grinds my gears. I got the 20th anniversary edition of OK Computer which is a nice looking triple album. I just spent 10 minutes trying to figure out which side was which. No indicator or writing on the discs and certainly no song names. Finally figured out there’s a key on the back with a TINY cryptic word in 1 point font. I had to get my glasses out. 

MADNESS!

That's a nice looking turntable @Yiggy

Loads of records seem to make it a puzzle now to work out what side is what. I'm not a fan when the tracklisting is all on one side but it's side 2 and art on side 1, tricks my brain. My way around it is to always store then in the inners with side 1 facing forward as I get it out!

I buy a lot of electronic 12" singles, techno/electro/the type of stuff that used to be referred to as IDM etc..

Not only is it a pain to figure out the A side from the B side (I usually end up reading the etch in the runout) but what's even worse is trying to determine if it's an uptempo banger at 45 rpm, or a chilled groove at 33 rpm.

24 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

I’ve gone for an AT-LPW50PB which I’ve ordered on a warehouse deal which was far nearer my budget. I’ve heard nothing but good things and I wanted to try something different to the old school hi-fi decks.

That's a nice deck, got a decent cartridge on it too, the AT-VM95E.

One really nice thing about the cart is that the stylus is upgradeable so if you ever get to the point where you feel you want more out of it, it's possible.

Not that you need to, it's very well regarded as it is.

45 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Turns out my dads Rubber Soul is worth a few bob. Sounds great as well. 

also, found two photos inside his copy of revolver - I suspect John and Paul were hanging on his wall.

41DB2FCC-C399-48C0-85E9-3FAC35634864.jpeg

A76D86C4-5811-4C99-93B9-FAD70CDA156F.jpeg

1D67DBD3-9366-4B1D-A67F-AAAA03823571.jpeg

Those photos are out of the white album, so you might find the others there if you have it.