Vinyl lovers

Oh Danny Boy

That’s why I was so gobsmacked at the deck seeming so cheap…it seems if you shop around you can get the original for less than a hundred quid so I guess their hands were a bit tied when it came to adding a Teenage Engineering tax.

Can anyone recommend vinyl picture frames that allow easy access for playing?

My son has expressed interest in vinyl, and I’ve got him a Tyler, The Creator LP, and tbh I think he’ll play it once and go back to Spotify. But a nice picture frame would mean it wasn’t a wasted purchase. 

I’ve seen these on Zavvi and Amazon, but the reviews suggest they’re cheap plastic and overpriced for the build quality. Anyone seen any others they’d recommend?

3 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Can anyone recommend vinyl picture frames that allow easy access for playing?

My son has expressed interest in vinyl, and I’ve got him a Tyler, The Creator LP, and tbh I think he’ll play it once and go back to Spotify. But a nice picture frame would mean it wasn’t a wasted purchase. 

I’ve seen these on Zavvi and Amazon, but the reviews suggest they’re cheap plastic and overpriced for the build quality. Anyone seen any others they’d recommend?

Question for @Wiper maybe?

Yep, I have one of those specific frames (albeit it cost me £19, rather than the £25 Zavvi seem to want for it). I'd both agree with the reviews that they are overpriced cheap plastic, and also say that they're the best option you're going to find short of commissioning a frame maker to make something bespoke for you.

The cheapness actually works in their favour, as being lightweight plastic means they're durable for regular sleeve-swapping (no wood to chip/glass to break/hinge to jam), and as a vehicle for nice album art they do the job just fine — most people aren't going to spend their time studying the matte frame!

This is what mine looks like mounted, for reference:

20221006_134704_copy_2000x1126.thumb.jpg.bafd52d4a63e8dd04e9e82acc0a9112b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Quest said:

Love that Sadao Watanabe record. 

Great isn't it? There seems to be a phase of a Japanese Jazz musicians going to America in the late 70s/early 80s and recording amazing jazz fusion/pop-ish records. Terumasa Hino is another one, got his Daydream album on vinyl a few weeks back, and have been enjoying City Connection on streaming. Any recommendations in a similar vein welcomed!

22 hours ago, ZOK said:

Great selection! Sunlight is my favourite Herbie Hancock album.

I think it was one of those occasions were someone's (with great taste) record collection got offloaded to a record shop, could have walked out the door with double that, and now regretting not doing so!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm after a cheap but reasonable turntable for my front room and am not sure where to start. I've only ever bought DJ stuff so I'm not sure where to go beyond that. The challenges are that there's no way I'm allowed this on display, so it's in a cupboard, and it's going to have to plug into a sound bar as there's no space for a separates system, so I guess I'm looking at a built-in phono amp? I appreciate this isn't an audiophile's dream, but it's really more so I can play the albums I have whilst sat on the sofa. Is Audio-Technica a place to start?

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I'm after a cheap but reasonable turntable for my front room and am not sure where to start. I've only ever bought DJ stuff so I'm not sure where to go beyond that. The challenges are that there's no way I'm allowed this on display, so it's in a cupboard, and it's going to have to plug into a sound bar as there's no space for a separates system, so I guess I'm looking at a built-in phono amp? I appreciate this isn't an audiophile's dream, but it's really more so I can play the albums I have whilst sat on the sofa. Is Audio-Technica a place to start?

I have an AT and am very happy with it.

What's your budget?

You should add this to your short list:

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/cartridges/type/moving-magnet/vm520eb

£98.99 at Amazon

edit - And the Ortofon Super OM10

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ortofon-OM-Super-Cartridge-Turntables/dp/B000CCEQM4

For some reason, the price on these has shot up over the last couple of days. Looking at camelcamelcamel they're usually about £82

1 hour ago, acidbearboy said:

Some time back, the Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge was recommended to me as a good budget replacement for my ageing Stanton 500 cartridge. Is there anything else to consider in the £100 bracket? 

Audio Technica, and the VM95 range are just great in that price bracket. You can get the VM95EN (nude elliptical stylus) for £100. At £150 you can get the VM95ML (micro-line), which I have, and is fantastic. They track amazingly well, and the VM95ML has eliminated all of the distortion I used to get on the inner tracks on older records.

A word of warning though; they may sound different to your Stanton. The ATs tend to be a little bit brighter, but this means they pull out a load of detail compared to some of the warmer catridges out there.

1 hour ago, acidbearboy said:

FFS! I just snapped the blue wire connector whilst trying to replace the headshell. Anybody know somewhere online to order a new set of wires for the Technics SL-1200MK2?

Did you break a pin on the connector on the arm itself? If not, would just a new headshell sort the problem? The connecting pins on the arm itself look very hard to break, so impressed if you've done that!

I think a new headshell would be a bit overkill. The metal connectors on the wires were brittle and the blue one snapped when I pulled it from the old cartridge. I’ve seen a set of wires on eBay that will hopefully do the job - just waiting for confirmation from the seller. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133698615781?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gipTyhXqR9i&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=-P0ExPgpRfq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY