IGNORED

Vinyl lovers

Oh Danny Boy

16 hours ago, Ste_S said:

The vinyl manufactured during the 70s oil crisis are nearly flexi-discs, but still sound great.

It's only the grooves that matter. Thicker discs are just a marketing thing. 

On 07/05/2022 at 09:20, Lovelyman said:

It's only the grooves that matter. Thicker discs are just a marketing thing. 

Isn’t the point with thicker discs that you can have deeper grooves for a louder/clearer master? Also weight might have some effect on stability of rotation speed and therefore playback sound quality i guess.

49 minutes ago, lankysanchez said:

Isn’t the point with thicker discs that you can have deeper grooves for a louder/clearer master? Also weight might have some effect on stability of rotation speed and therefore playback sound quality i guess.

To a point, but the grooves are never deeper than those you could make in a Flexi. Two sides obviously doubles that. 

I'd suspect if the weight is adding anything to the stability of rotation then it's marginal and would not fix any issues with your turntable. 

• 5 weeks later...

Is there anyone here who can help me track down a rare-ish record? My girlfriend is starting a record collection and she’s a big fan of Aussie singer Kate Miller-Heidke, particularly her Nightflight album. I want to get her a copy of it on vinyl for her collection (it was released on vinyl in 2012, possibly only in Australia), but it turns out it’s incredibly hard to find. I have googled to no avail - can anyone help me track down a copy? Help me Rllmuk, you’re my only hope. 

14 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

Is there anyone here who can help me track down a rare-ish record? My girlfriend is starting a record collection and she’s a big fan of Aussie singer Kate Miller-Heidke, particularly her Nightflight album. I want to get her a copy of it on vinyl for her collection (it was released on vinyl in 2012, possibly only in Australia), but it turns out it’s incredibly hard to find. I have googled to no avail - can anyone help me track down a copy? Help me Rllmuk, you’re my only hope. 

None for sale on Discogs but one sold in December for €100+. 

Your best bet would be to set up an alert for that one vinyl version and fingers crossed from there. 

https://www.discogs.com/release/3827574-Kate-Miller-Heidke-Nightflight

On 08/06/2022 at 09:21, jon_cybernet said:

What Kingpin said plus set up an eBay search alert. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I finally thought I'd give an ortofon headshell and 2m red cartridge a go having used the standard Audio Technica one which seemed fine to me so it was a small financial risk if it ended up sounding the same. It turns out that even to my older ears the sound is noticeably clearer and crackle free although admittedly I haven't tried any of my older records as yet.

I thought I might be falling into a consumer electronics con like with cables but I'm genuinely surprised at the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

069F3F7B-BC0C-4AAE-A4C5-B833459D73F4.thumb.jpeg.04376ab834f628a9f054c8f581ab8615.jpeg

I bought this lot for £8 in the local antique shop. I checked online and it’s roughly eight quid’s worth of vinyl (but obviously without the postage). The Shalamar track is great. Both sides of the Rah Band 12” are quality (as is all their stuff it seems). The version of Summer Madness on the Kool & the Gang EP is a poor alternative to the original. I’m pretty sure I’ve bought this record before so I should have learnt my lesson! The Rambo single is a stinker - I was hoping for some classic Moroder but no such luck. The 1993 remix of Kid Creole is actually ok, but there’s no topping the original, which is also included. 

It’s just a really rich recording…it’s rare for me to be nuts for a live version because I usually agree with you @acidbearboy, they’ve a tendency to be too ragged to my ears. But there’s something about that one, as it starts you can almost feel the sweat dripping off the ceiling in the balmy atmosphere, and then I love the way it descends into a jazz noodle at the end.

On 18/07/2022 at 19:39, acidbearboy said:

noodle

verb [ I ]

UK   /ˈnuː.dəl/

to do or think about something without giving it full or serious attention: 

I just sat at the piano noodling.

Dude, I 'play' guitar, I know what noodling is.*

But a 'jazz noodle' is clearly a euphemism; whether some strange sexual practice, or just drug-related, we clearly need to know.

——————

* as in, all I bloody well do is noodle around a blues scale.

42 minutes ago, smac said:

* as in, all I bloody well do is noodle around a blues scale.

My understanding is that a jazz noodle is exactly the same, but around the entire chromatic scale and with much less (or no) regard to the rhythm, melody, chord sequence or even presence of the other performers.

3 hours ago, krenzler said:

This might be a bit highbrow.

Ha, 100% they've done that video as a reaction to the Mobile Fidelity OMG drama that's going on at the moment.

MoFi-Gate. No question. But nice to see the old-school attention to detail. Today I would never pay these prices (though I do own 2 AP LP’s). 

Cheaper alternative here in Europe that also do good work is Speakers Corner/Pure Pleasure. Impex also. 

I've given up on that premium audiophile vinyl re-issue thing. I'm more or less CDs now, with the odd original vinyl pressing of older stuff (for the right price).

16 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

I’m thinking of slimming my collection but i literally hate the process of selling records. 

I’ve sold 6-7 records on Discogs and have found the process relatively painless (so far…)

1 hour ago, Ste_S said:

I’ve sold 6-7 records on Discogs and have found the process relatively painless (so far…)

Also no it’s awful. Is impossible to work out what they will calculate your postage fees as and you get people buying shit for £1 shipping to Australia and you can’t work out why

My way around the shitty Discogs auto-shipping policies is to make basic UK policies for single items that are fair and reasonable. Plus a catch-all method (mine is priced at £20) for multiples that forces communication from the buyer so that postage is worked out manually prior to checkout - or they pay the £20 and I refund them some.

I state that I ship world wide but do not offer automatic shipping policies to foreign countries. Get the foreign buyer to message you with what they want to buy. Calculate the shipping price, set up a temporary shipping policy for that amount and delete it after they have ordered. 

As for fees, factor them into your selling price or shipping costs. I used to sell a lot of £1 items, so I made sure my shipping price left me with £1 profit after factoring in Discogs fees, PayPal fees and shipping costs. 

Yeah that's the best way to do it, but I cannot fathom why it needs to be so fucking convoluted.

Surely part of their service should be to calculate fair and sensible shipping options. I feel like they are charging you to code your own applet to sell records and they host it.