Vinyl lovers

Oh Danny Boy

54 minutes ago, Agent L said:

What's the turntable on at the moment? Would a shelf attached to the wall suffer less vibration? Probably not if it's a stud wall might might be worth looking at if it's brick or block.

its on a floor standing cabinet at the moment. 

Try isolating the platform with large-ish blobs of Blu-Tak at the corners, maybe? An old trick for isolating speakers, but might deaden larger vibrations from the floor.

You can get rubber cones and mats that sit under the turntable that are a cheap way of doing it. There’s also a range of platforms that isolate vibrations for when you’re trying to use records in huge club settings – I’d imagine that would be overkill and they’re not cheap. If you search for MasterSounds they do some record weights as well as which are a recommended bit of kit.

The cheapest option is a pair of slippers though.

When I had my shite Rega RP3 I used a bamboo chopping board from Homesense and mounted that onto x4 Milty Foculpods. 

Obviously the chopping board has to be wide enough for your TT's feet to fit on

I'd read the cheap alternative to Milty Foculpods is cutting squash balls in half - no idea how good that is

On 31/12/2021 at 22:42, englishbob said:

Lost in Translation OST is finally being repressed from the stupid RSD edition - 7th Jan 2022

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/lost-in-translation-soundtrack/857493-01/

On 03/01/2022 at 18:41, Twinbee said:

Fantastic news!

Its also impossible to buy anywhere - sold out - even Amazon cancelled my order. Tried the usual suspects, Juno, Norman, RoughTrade - none - for fuck sakes, what it is with this LP?!

Decided to place my first order through Discogs today. 7 hours later it got cancelled with this message:

Hello,

So sorry to do this, but sold this one on our store.

Refund will process shortly.

Not a great start. I never got asked for any payment as it was awaiting the seller telling me the final total with postage, so I guess that's irrelevant?

Should I be leaving feedback in that scenario (neutral?) or just let it go?

1 hour ago, Agent L said:

Decided to place my first order through Discogs today. 7 hours later it got cancelled with this message:

Not a great start. I never got asked for any payment as it was awaiting the seller telling me the final total with postage, so I guess that's irrelevant?

Should I be leaving feedback in that scenario (neutral?) or just let it go?

I wouldn't bother with negative feedback, a lot of physical shops sell via discogs so there's always a chance things could get out of sync. Shit happens I guess.

Don't think that discogs is always like this, I've had some great bargains and used some great sellers. Like any online marketplace, the majority are fine.

I've had a couple of issues out of many many orders, one was a load of old dance 12"s from late 80s/early 90s which were overgraded and turned up smelling really musty. I complained via the messaging system and the seller gave me a full refund and said keep them so I threw the sleeves away as they stunk and kept the discs.

3 hours ago, englishbob said:

Its also impossible to buy anywhere - sold out - even Amazon cancelled my order. Tried the usual suspects, Juno, Norman, RoughTrade - none - for fuck sakes, what it is with this LP?!

Unfantastic news!

On 07/01/2022 at 18:30, englishbob said:

It's vinyl in 2022 innit? Every release is limited, and because scalpers know the original is valuable, they're adding to stock shortages.

I'm think I'm done with vinyl, bar a few series, as it's just getting ridiculous at the moment. I'm enjoying collecting CDs instead.

On 01/01/2022 at 12:07, Skeeez said:

I need to take some advice from you guys.. I have 7 and 13 year old sons who seem to stomp around my house like elephants + wooden flooring. 

The seven year old has a lot of energy and runs pretty much wherever he goes. If I’m listening to music I’ll often get skips.

Are there any good DIY methods or cheap(ish) products to isolate the turntable from floor vibrations you recommend?  

I wall mounted mine a while back and it's great, no vibrations at all and it let me put the turntable at a nice height so I don't have to bend over and it's out of reach of little kids who've never seen a real turntable before and might decide it would be fun to use it to play DJ (:(). I bought this one which is nice but expensive. If you are handy you could probably make something like it for a fraction of the cost.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just had a facepalm moment. I have an Ortofon VMS 20E II cartridge, with a third party stylus. The cartridge was rated at 1g tracking force, which I've been running it at. I've just noticed the third party stylus recommends 2g, I guess I should be running it at that?

I have done something extremely silly and bought this mixer. I will never financially recover, but I honestly cannot describe how good it sounds. The dials are as smooth as a baby’s behind and it makes your records sound as rich as a béarnaise sauce. 

2FDB9FBA-9266-4689-B175-428FA774BB4D.jpeg

They’re so nice. I found out today that if you dip into the red then the outer ring glows to let you know. I did really love the Pioneer I had with all its bells and whistles, but this is so much more satisfying. My mistake for straying from the path of analogue. 

14 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Very nice looking piece of kit. I'm curious - do you use the space echo with that gear? Ignorant guitarist here - I know nothing of the mixers and decks. 

Yeah, you can route it through a send and return and add some nice trails and effects to things. The sound out of that pedal is absolutely glorious, but it has a tap tempo so it’s perfect for dorky DJs to time sync to. Also, everyone wants to sound like Lee Scratch Perry and you can kind of do that with this thing for not that much money.

I wish I could play an instrument as mucking about with pedals has been loads of fun.

That's interesting - thanks for that. I suppose you are a bit limited with effects pedals that can work in that setup - I guess echos, digital delays, reverbs and (maybe) compressors are the main pedals that would make sense. I think I'll go down a youtube rabbit hole now as I'm interested in this - I'm sure someone has managed to incorporate some unexpected pedals into their setup. 

This video is quite a nice introduction. He’s taken it to a logical extreme though and chained all sorts together. I think if you’re playing techno or similar or adding live instrumentation then it’s a great way of sounding more unique. Where else it’s popular is just adding a nice transition between tracks that basically can’t be mixed together beyond fading in and out. 

As I say, super dorky. I think a lot of it is people wanting to move away from the kind of ‘mix on sticks’ DJing that fills arenas and have something that sounds more organic. 

That thing he's done with changing the switches to arcade buttons is pretty nifty. Would actually be quite useful for the pedals I have in my synth setup.. 

Friend of mine had a load of guitar pedals in his DJ setup back in the early 2000s, but he just used it for making an absolute racket. Great fun to mess around with, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, wasn't sure which topic was best to ask this, I'm looking to get a turntable and could do with some advice please? I've got a budget of about £500 as that seemed like it will get me a reasonably decent turntable, and maybe one that I can upgrade in the future if needs be.

After a bit of research it seems these two are popular at this price point: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo or the Rega Planar 2.

I already have some stereo speakers (Cambridge Audio S30) and an AV receiver (Yamaha RX-V373) that I feed my Xbox and Switch through to my TV.

What I'm wondering is:

1. Is the AV Receiver going to be good enough sound wise or do I need to invest in a proper Stereo Amp for music, something like this? Cambridge Audio AXA25

2. Should I worry about having to manually change the rpm on the Rega Planar 2? I've never owned any vinyl or a record player so I've no idea how often I'm likely to need to change the speed and if it's going to be an issue! I'll only be buying albums so mostly 33 from what I can gather?

3. Is there a forum favourite player at this price point that I should be considering? Or is one of those two a better option?

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, cerseis eyebrows said:

If I can just piggy back off this question; I literally just ordered my first proper player (Rega Plana 2!) and am now hearing about preamps. Do I buy one? I use speakers with an old school (90s?) Pioneer amplifier. Thanks!

Does that amp have a 'phono' input?