IGNORED

Vinyl lovers

Oh Danny Boy

On 23/10/2021 at 14:40, Ste_S said:

Charity shops haven't really had anything outside of James Last and Orchestral for a while...

Couple of charity shop purchases today. 

The somewhat rare early Dead Or Alive 12" was surrounded by Shirley Bassey, Neil Sedaka and all the usual suspects. Local collectors must've missed this one. 

The Blue Mountain Promo double 10" wasn't cheap at £10 but I couldn't resist the eclectic  artist line up and it looks new / unplayed. 

Screenshot_20211025_151937.jpg

Screenshot_20211025_152044.jpg

I always check when I'm near a charity shop but the only thing worth buying is usually classical music. The nice thing about that is that the previous owners usually took good care of them. And you can often find releases that were obviously quite pricey when they were released with nice packaging and extras. Some I found recently for 50 cent each:

20211025_171830.jpg

Plus it's always nice when you find people's own weird archiving habits, l recently found someone's homemade box sets where he or she grouped separate releases by the same composer, all with handmade sheets with track listings and all kinds of details.

20 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

...and open at incredibly sporadic intervals.

This drives me nuts, not just a London thing, but anywhere with record shops. I can drive 20-30 minutes to get to one, and then find out they haven't shown up today - or a sign up at 11am saying "Closed - back in 10" which goes on for about 2 hours with no return.

Just about every shop in my radius has done this to me at least once. Do it to me twice (Transmission Records in Margate for example, I'm looking at you!) and I'll never return

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Got the final pressing (for a long while, apparently) of Slift’s bonkers heavy psych album, Unmon. Beautiful Mœbius-style gatefold artwork. 

CECD0487-67E6-4070-BFE7-00EF06711E83.jpeg

99D4A3D1-BA0A-459B-926C-6EDF8A99D9D8.jpeg

575B3A39-DEA9-4CA6-8BAD-6E938561730D.jpeg

I have this, and the repress of the first album and EP. They are amazing aren't they. 

It's not for me, but I found interesting to read on Reddit that there have been a lot of complaints about Taylor Swift's new album being a 45, but with no labels saying this, so that a lot of people think they've received a defective copy. It comes with 4 LPs! 

34 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

It's not for me, but I found interesting to read on Reddit that there have been a lot of complaints about Taylor Swift's new album being a 45, but with no labels saying this, so that a lot of people think they've received a defective copy. It comes with 4 LPs! 

4 discs for a single album is just taking the piss. It’s spamming up the pressing plants and extremely wasteful. 

It’s all about the big labels and $$$$

• 2 weeks later...

Pissed off and wish I'd gone for a Technics now as it has built-in anti-skate. My Project X1 uses this really horrible system where you have a weight on the end of a bit of fishing wire and you have to get the loop over a small bar and rest it in a small groove then loop the wire over a handle. The last time I did this I nearly went blind and hoped I'd never have to do it again. Played a record just now and found the weight had slipped off.

I need to get someone with decent eyesight in to fix it as the wire is so fine you literally can't see it. It's such a cheap shitty system for a deck that cost me over £700.

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

Pissed off and wish I'd gone for a Technics now as it has built-in anti-skate. My Project X1 uses this really horrible system where you have a weight on the end of a bit of fishing wire and you have to get the loop over a small bar and rest it in a small groove then loop the wire over a handle. The last time I did this I nearly went blind and hoped I'd never have to do it again. Played a record just now and found the weight had slipped off.

I need to get someone with decent eyesight in to fix it as the wire is so fine you literally can't see it. It's such a cheap shitty system for a deck that cost me over £700.

Can't you return it?

• 2 weeks later...