Vinyl lovers

Oh Danny Boy

It's not for me, but I found interesting to read on Reddit that there have been a lot of complaints about Taylor Swift's new album being a 45, but with no labels saying this, so that a lot of people think they've received a defective copy. It comes with 4 LPs! 

34 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

It's not for me, but I found interesting to read on Reddit that there have been a lot of complaints about Taylor Swift's new album being a 45, but with no labels saying this, so that a lot of people think they've received a defective copy. It comes with 4 LPs! 

4 discs for a single album is just taking the piss. It’s spamming up the pressing plants and extremely wasteful. 

It’s all about the big labels and $$$$

• 2 weeks later...

Pissed off and wish I'd gone for a Technics now as it has built-in anti-skate. My Project X1 uses this really horrible system where you have a weight on the end of a bit of fishing wire and you have to get the loop over a small bar and rest it in a small groove then loop the wire over a handle. The last time I did this I nearly went blind and hoped I'd never have to do it again. Played a record just now and found the weight had slipped off.

I need to get someone with decent eyesight in to fix it as the wire is so fine you literally can't see it. It's such a cheap shitty system for a deck that cost me over £700.

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

Pissed off and wish I'd gone for a Technics now as it has built-in anti-skate. My Project X1 uses this really horrible system where you have a weight on the end of a bit of fishing wire and you have to get the loop over a small bar and rest it in a small groove then loop the wire over a handle. The last time I did this I nearly went blind and hoped I'd never have to do it again. Played a record just now and found the weight had slipped off.

I need to get someone with decent eyesight in to fix it as the wire is so fine you literally can't see it. It's such a cheap shitty system for a deck that cost me over £700.

Can't you return it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2021 at 09:46, Art Vandelay said:

Is that some Martian I spy? My eyesight isn't good enough to see what it is.

On 21/12/2021 at 10:15, Quest said:

Yeah, the Ghostdancer double 12". Also bought a couple of UR records I've been after, but they seem to have been caught in covid lockdown in another province, so maybe I'll see those in a month or so. <_<

Love me a bit of Martian/Red Planet, the Red Planet V double pack is probably my favourite.

Are prices going up now for Detroit Techno and Chicago House? Last time I checked there was only a couple of mine going for silly money (a 12" on Ibadan, another on Relief), but most are going for roughly what I payed for in the 90s.

I guess it depends. If I sort my collection on Discogs by median price quite a few have snuck up the list now. Mainly Underground Resistance bits and bobs, Galaxy 2 Galaxy, some Joe Claussell, Moodymann, Frankie Feliciano etc. I haven't a clue about the rhyme or reason as to why some stuff shoots up in price. Loads of mine has stayed static for 20 years or faded into the penny bracket though. If I had to speculate I'd imagine certain ones go past being played out and DJs begin adding them to sets again which drives demand. It only takes someone like Fourtet to play something and Discogs goes bananas. 

11 hours ago, AstroBot said:

Going to browse my late father in laws vinyl and see what he’s got on my Xmas visit. Quite excited.

I’m glad you’ve got the chance - it’s great to keep things like that in the family I think. 
My very alive father in law moved a few years ago and chucked his in a skip. That included a special edition of the Star Wars soundtrack give to the musicians who played on it - of which he was one. What a tool!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I need to take some advice from you guys.. I have 7 and 13 year old sons who seem to stomp around my house like elephants + wooden flooring. 

The seven year old has a lot of energy and runs pretty much wherever he goes. If I’m listening to music I’ll often get skips.

Are there any good DIY methods or cheap(ish) products to isolate the turntable from floor vibrations you recommend?  

9 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Depends on what you can put there - a solid block of anything dense will sort it. Optimum cost to success ratio is a slab of concrete!

I’m not sure my wife would appreciate a paving slab in the house. Could be worth a shot though. 😊