IGNORED

Vinyl lovers

Oh Danny Boy

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

Just moved into a new flat and am annoyed to find how uneven the floors are. Finding it hard to set my turntable up on a level surface, it tilts forward a bit. Is it okay for a bit of an angle on a deck or does it have to be dead-level? 

Just checking, has your turntable got adjustable feet? If so I presume you’ve played around with them?

Having got back into listening to records in the last month or so I’m confused that I’m now looking at buying certain new stuff on rather pricey vinyl even though I can play it perfectly well through my stereo from my Echo. 
I know why I collected old jazz albums and could rationalise the cost, but I buying something new seems like a real luxury. I want that luxury though….

On 20/07/2021 at 22:28, englishbob said:

Someone's On Drugs more like

A couple of labels / artist try this shit every so often, but I hope no one buys it. That price is certainly not the norm though.

Its like the Prince Estate's releases, always £30 for a single album when they are first released, but if you wait long enough the price comes down.

I can kinda see £30 is going to be the norm for a single album. Demand outstrips supply, so much so that each release is a limited edition in all but name. 
The record companies are probable looking at those oop prices and want some of the action.

I got the newly released repress of DJ Food's Kaleidoscope at weekend, it's a four disc album.

Discs one and two are marbled blue, discs three and four are marbled orange. It's lovely to look at and a great sounding pressing.

It was £25. That's not a discounted price, that's the norm.

In the grand scheme of things he's a relatively niche artist with nowhere near the appeal to the masses or volume sales that the major label stuff has, if Ninja Tune can make a profit when selling a set of four coloured 12"s at that price, how much are the big players making with their £20 12" singles or £30+ represses of Hounds of Love etc?

Obligatory photo (I guess this should be in the what's on your TT thread but it seems relevant to post here):

djfood.thumb.jpg.8bcf1f137b0553413a8461370fd71907.jpg

On 20/07/2021 at 22:47, Lovelyman said:

Yeah but cost of production is higher for more limited colour pressings. 

A little I suppose but they are still taking the piss

Spot the difference here

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Black is £35.99

The Black and Silver is £60.99

• 2 weeks later...

That'll come down at some point. 

The most ridiculous set is Prince Welcome 2 America box. The vinyl album, a CD of the same album, a Bluray concert disc and some old bollocks in an envelope - £150

9 minutes ago, Welrain said:

Hi all, my wife is showing interest in picking up a turntable(?).  Need the whole kit and have a budget of £200-300.  Recommendations?

By whole kit do you mean amp and speakers too?

1 hour ago, Welrain said:

Yep!

While vinyl playback is a very much a case of 'you get what you pay for' this little set up on Amazon will give decent results for not much outlay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VQS5GDX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_9HR1DS32BE1TPYGG21DW?psc=1

I have a similar set up in the kitchen, in addition to a ProJect turntable in the living room and Technics SL1200 in my 'man cave'.

Vinyl purists would absolutely turn their noses at this, but as a way of dipping your toe in the water and not chewing any records up on one of those awful £40 suitcase hipster players this will be fine.

Yes, a few non-audiophiles in this thread (including me) have one of these Audio Technicas. No complaints. 

For me, starting buying vinyl is nothing really to do with sound quality, and it definitely isn’t about convenience. It’s more about re-engaging with a lifelong love of music, now that you have pretty much the whole history of popular music on your phone, but not the time to actually enjoy it. 

I don’t want to bang on about mindfulness or anything, but putting on a vinyl record means you have to take a moment to stop and take it out the sleeve, put the needle on carefully, consider the artwork you’re holding, etc. Rather than just shouting “OK Google, play the best of the Beatles” while doing three other things. 

So for me, a cheap, reliable turntable is all I need. 

Yes - while I have better quality turntables dotted round the house, 90% of my listening is done on the AT in the kitchen.

When it's my turn to get up in the morning with the girls (7 year old twins) we like to play some records.

My proudest ever dad moment was when one of the said 'Daddy can you put Band On The Run on your record player?'

I also have that Audio Technica turntable and it’s great. I play it through the same amp & speakers as the TV, so if you have a surround sound system or sound bar with a spare audio input you won’t even need any extra speakers. My son also has one with some speakers like those linked above. Both setups sound fantastic.

There needs to be a champion of the mid-range, or lower-mid-range when it comes to turntables and audio generally. I avoid a lot of the turntable "experts" on Youtube because if they're not saying "spend more on a decent turntable" they're damning budget record players with faint praise like "if this is all you can afford, it'll do". As long as people avoid the sub-£100 vinyl-gouging suitcase jobs they'll be doing just fine. That message should be the main one. If you want to spend £500+ on a turntable that's great, but if you just want to play some records you're doing perfectly fine spending £150-250. 

On 06/08/2021 at 19:16, GwiDan said:

The new 50th anniversary All Things Must Pass deluxe edition is just a ridiculous amount of price gouging. 

Been seeing this on my Facebook ads for a while and it just feels like the definition of vinyl excess. Is it that classic an album it deserves to be watered down with this much additional cobblers? It's hard enough to engage fully with an album in this age of Spotify, dedicating that 45 minutes or however long to just soak up the sound should be enough. But I guess if people want to splash out on this sort of thing it'll keep getting put out. 

It's not even on colour vinyl! What a crime.

4 hours ago, Vimster said:

Been seeing this on my Facebook ads for a while and it just feels like the definition of vinyl excess. Is it that classic an album it deserves to be watered down with this much additional cobblers? It's hard enough to engage fully with an album in this age of Spotify, dedicating that 45 minutes or however long to just soak up the sound should be enough. But I guess if people want to splash out on this sort of thing it'll keep getting put out. 

It’s a great album, and the new remix sounds good without the excessive reverb of the original Phil Spector production, but I’m not spending nearly £100 on it, I’ll just listen on Spotify. I still have the 30th(?) anniversary edition on CD. The Abbey Road shop does have it in colour vinyl if you want to spend even more money btw. 

On 08/08/2021 at 10:25, keineboom said:

While vinyl playback is a very much a case of 'you get what you pay for' this little set up on Amazon will give decent results for not much outlay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VQS5GDX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_9HR1DS32BE1TPYGG21DW?psc=1

I have a similar set up in the kitchen, in addition to a ProJect turntable in the living room and Technics SL1200 in my 'man cave'.

Vinyl purists would absolutely turn their noses at this, but as a way of dipping your toe in the water and not chewing any records up on one of those awful £40 suitcase hipster players this will be fine.

That’s an excellent deal, if that existed when I got into records ten years ago I’d be all over it rather than the all in one thing I had until I was able to afford a turntable, amp and speakers set up. 

yeah I had an ATLP60 and it is a perfectly fine turntable. The sound quality was great and did me for over a year.

I eventually replaced it with a direct drive "vintage" turntable - just an old technics SL-qd33. THat was "much better" but you can't really pick them up that cheaply anymore but it goes to prove older "Budget" gear was very good.

But to reiterate the AT-LP60 is probably the best budget turntable, it has a decent MMC not the old crappy ceramic one that most budget turntables have. Build quality is much better than the likes of the Lenco L-30 as well (the cheapest turntable with an MMC)

21 hours ago, Vimster said:

The original was a triple album. If you want a 45 minute album look elsewhere

As for coloured vinyl, normally not that popular with serious vinylheads, it is more of a gimmick. 

2 hours ago, englishbob said:

The original was a triple album. If you want a 45 minute album look elsewhere

As for coloured vinyl, normally not that popular with serious vinylheads, it is more of a gimmick. 

Okay, fair enough. I was thinking more about "just the album" rather than everything else. 

50 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Okay, fair enough. I was thinking more about "just the album" rather than everything else. 

There are so many editions of this being released that you can just get the standalone album on 3LP and 2 CD editions, but it's a "remix" version

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

Repressed Matt Berry albums are out, got a nice translucent mint green edition of Kill The Wolf. 

He always struck me as quite outgoing.

• 3 weeks later...

Visited my mother, whose husband died at the start of the year. She’s been having a clear-out, and has said I can have any vinyl records I want. It’s mostly Glen Miller / James Last stuff they both likely inherited from *their* parents, but I found a few gems that will now have a good home. 

All very played-with, but will all now continue to be enjoyed. 

AFA8DFF7-CCA0-482B-9D80-9C1B07AD8D37.jpeg

I was wondering why I didn't recognise the prog rock cover with the Roger Dean-esque robot fly, top centre.

'Motown chartbusters Volume Six'

OK, I did not expect that from that cover. 

6 hours ago, smac said:

I was wondering why I didn't recognise the prog rock cover with the Roger Dean-esque robot fly, top centre.

'Motown chartbusters Volume Six'

OK, I did not expect that from that cover. 

It’s not Dean-esque, it’s an actual Roger Dean!

I’d sit and stare at this sleeve as a kid for ages. Would love to know the conversations that led to its commissioning. 

Regarding the All Things Must Pass releases, and there are quite a few, the album itself can be picked up for not very much and the extra tracks are all on Spotify. 

The deluxe vinyl collection can be had for for around £60, which is 5 records and a poster. No too bad really.

Anyone buying the £1000 Uber Deluxe version gets 8 vinyl records, 5 CDs, a blu-ray, a bookmark thing made from an oak tree on George Harrison’s estate, pewter gnomes, a book on George Harrison’s love of gardening, a scrapbook, limited edition prints and posters, some Hare Krishna stuff and a set of magic beads. All shipped in a bespoke crate.

I mean, there’s not really any way to logically justify £1000 on a record, but anyone buying it isn’t doing it for logical reasons. When I was at school I went with my mate to see Ravi Shankar at the Barbican and George Harrison unexpectedly turned up. When I was young I picked up a copy of ATMP in Oxfam and became obsessed with the song Apple Scruffs. The first dance at our wedding was to George’s version of If Not for You. I’d buy it in a heartbeat if I had a spare £1000 rather than an overdraft. 

For those of us that’ll probably never see one in the wild, Mazzy does a decent unboxing.