rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

Do want.

6 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Fresh arrival. Been after this for a couple of months and didn't realise it had jumped up to £70 or so online then by chance I saw Musicmagpie were selling brand new copies for £38 including postage :blink: Couldn't resist and here it is, some of the greatest game music ever created :D

0.jpg1.jpg2.jpg

How do you guys all store your vinyls? Do you use outer sleeves as well as replacing the inner ones if they're naff quality?

I've only just bought a Rega Planar 3 as my first turntable, so everything is completely new and I haven't a clue what I'm doing. Currently I've just kept all the vinyls in the cardboard box sleeves they were shipped in as I don't have a shelving unit yet either.

• Downvote 1

I hate to be the one to point it out, but vinyls? They're records :)

Personally, I buy plastic outer sleeves and then store the records outside of the jacket but in the sleeve (if that makes sense?). I also replace the inner sleeves if they aren't lined.

I replace inner sleeves on most second hand stuff, and on any new records where the original is a bit poo.

I use these, they were recommended here years ago:

https://www.covers33.co.uk/shop/for-your-vinyl/12-vinyl/12-paper/12-white-paper-polylined-sleeve-pack-of-100/

Storage wise, the most popular solution is Ikea Kallax. It's pretty much defacto standard.

My Kallax acts as a turntable stand for my SL-1210 too.

• Upvote 1

It’s called ‘clear orange haze’ probably cos they couldn’t call it ‘nicotine yellow’ vinyl which it clearly is. 

Oh, the Best Of Dinosaur Jr is white vinyl, not awake yet lol.

Does anyone have any knowledge of entry level turntables? I'm in the market for something sub £200.

I've seen the Pro-Ject Elemental for £150 which gets good write ups. It's not exactly my taste aesthetically though and also doesn't have a cover.

Anything else worth looking at?

24 minutes ago, Agent L said:

Does anyone have any knowledge of entry level turntables? I'm in the market for something sub £200.

I've seen the Pro-Ject Elemental for £150 which gets good write ups. It's not exactly my taste aesthetically though and also doesn't have a cover.

Are you bothered about buying new? Second hand could open up more options.

What about the Pro-ject did you not like? What are your tastes when it comes to aesthetics?

1 hour ago, cubik said:

Are you bothered about buying new? Second hand could open up more options.

What about the Pro-ject did you not like? What are your tastes when it comes to aesthetics?

It's just a bit too modern really. I think I'd prefer something a little more traditional/vintage. More on the side of 70's vintage than 80/90's vintage though.

Second hand would be fine but I don't know loads about them so would be unsure where to look for something decent.

Sounds like you’d like the classic Technics models (SL-1500 for example)

Have you looked locally on eBay/gumtree? 

14 hours ago, Agent L said:

I got the Elemental and the cover for it. Sounds great to me but it's really annoying catching the belt when I remove the cover as it's a pain to get back on. 

15 hours ago, cubik said:

Sounds like you’d like the classic Technics models (SL-1500 for example)

Have you looked locally on eBay/gumtree? 

I've had a bit of a look, not much showing locally. The Technics is a bit metal for me. I'd prefer a bit of wood if going retro.

3 hours ago, mindgames said:

I got the Elemental and the cover for it. Sounds great to me but it's really annoying catching the belt when I remove the cover as it's a pain to get back on. 

I've had a quick look at covers, seems very straightforward, are they expensive. That would bump the price right up.

Also, does the Elemental have auto stop? I know it doesn't auto move the arm at all but does it stop the record spinning when it gets to the end? There's been loads of occasions where I've got distracted and forgotten to stop mine but my current cheap thing does at least stop it spinning.

4 minutes ago, Agent L said:

Also, does the Elemental have auto stop? I know it doesn't auto move the arm at all but does it stop the record spinning when it gets to the end? There's been loads of occasions where I've got distracted and forgotten to stop mine but my current cheap thing does at least stop it spinning.

No, mine doesn't stop.

I really need to organise my vinyl collection. I've got all my old stuff from years ago, then a big gap when CDs ruled the world and my turntable was boxed up in the loft, and then a load of stuff from the last 4 years which consists of discogs binges where I've bought loads of hip-hop and house 12"s from yesteryear plus loads of new stuff including loads of 12"s from the Juno sale or sites like Bandcamp & Swervingthecommunity.

It's all in Kallax shelving but in no particular order so I'm going to try and sort it. I'm probably going to avoid mixing new and old stuff as there's a real gap between them so I'm thinking first of all by genre for the older 12"s. Back in the day it was easy, hip hop and house (which included pretty much anything electronic including techno, electro, acid etc)

There were some other sub-genres like hip-house but it was still fairly simple.

Newer stuff is a bit different as I've no idea what genres for electronic music are these days, I just buy stuff I like in the Juno sale or from Bandcamp but don't understand what the difference between the latest incarnations of electro/techno/deep house and tech house are. I think my later 12"s will just be alphabetical in artist order.

Albums will be separate, again alphabetical order.

Some artists (Depeche Mode mainly) will have their own section. That'll be split into album & 12", sorted by release date obviously ;)

CPU Records will get their own category as I've got a lot of their 12"s and expect to buy more.

My plan is to keep it simple and use dividers - There's a few plastic ones available but they're a bit too "record shop" for me. I'm going for a plywood option.

I got a couple of these to see what they're like and they are pretty good

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/mukatsuku-wooden-12-vinyl-record-divider-with/730209-01/

There are others on Amazon/eBay with laser marked letters/genres but they're expensive. These are plain but seem quite well made (they're flat and have no sharp edges).

I've ordered a couple of five packs plus the two I have so that gives me 12 in total which should do the job - I'm not bothered about going to the level of detail of one per letter of the alphabet.

Next step is to get it all listen on discogs. That might take a while.

• Upvote 1

Apart from a couple of survivors of stuff I bought when I was about ten and hand-me-downs from the remnants of my mum's old vinyl collection she sold the vast majority of off in the late 90s (:() all my old vinyl has been bought second hand, so I keep it separate from the smaller section of new stuff as sometimes stuff has been god knows where and can sorta smell a bit. I'm still just using one of those single block kallax units with a stack of CDs as a crude divider as it's only a small collection, haha. So far. I need to organise it properly though. 

On 21/06/2019 at 22:32, cubik said:

My plan is to keep it simple and use dividers - There's a few plastic ones available but they're a bit too "record shop" for me. I'm going for a plywood option.

I got a couple of these to see what they're like and they are pretty good

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/mukatsuku-wooden-12-vinyl-record-divider-with/730209-01/

Those look nice.

It's not actually that important to label them, because it takes one glance at a spine to know which letter you're on, and you can do a bit of grouping for letters where there are fewer records. I imagine in practice just scanning down a little bit you can find the letter you're after. 

Something I'd like, actually, is some kind of "backstop" for Kallax. Just so that Irish people can get to my records more easily Because the boxes are so much deeper than 12" and the records always end up at different levels, it can be difficult trying to keep things neat or getting inbetween a particular couple of records. I guess just a weighty block of wood that I could tack down (maybe with command strips) would do it, but if anyone has a good solution?..

1 hour ago, cowfields said:

Those look nice.

It's not actually that important to label them, because it takes one glance at a spine to know which letter you're on, and you can do a bit of grouping for letters where there are fewer records. I imagine in practice just scanning down a little bit you can find the letter you're after. 

Something I'd like, actually, is some kind of "backstop" for Kallax. Just so that Irish people can get to my records more easily Because the boxes are so much deeper than 12" and the records always end up at different levels, it can be difficult trying to keep things neat or getting inbetween a particular couple of records. I guess just a weighty block of wood that I could tack down (maybe with command strips) would do it, but if anyone has a good solution?..

You can get some back plates on etsy

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/252918053/back-wall-for-ikea-kallax-regal-kallax

I've been meaning to buy some for ages.

I just stuck a strip of 1” x 1” timber to the rear of the compartment so that my records hit a stop. I used sticky fixing pads. 

3 hours ago, deerokus said:

all my old vinyl has been bought second hand, so I keep it separate from the smaller section of new stuff as sometimes stuff has been god knows where and can sorta smell a bit.

I'm keeping my old stuff separate from the new too. I've bought quite a bit on discogs over the last couple of years and some of it has that classic "old record" smell.

I'm not planning on labelling the dividers, unless I can find a way to do it that look neat

I ended up with an Audio Technica AT-LP3 for just under £180. Reviewed brilliantly, belt driven, full auto and aesthetically looks pretty decent I think.

I had a really cheap ion before and the step up in sound is fantastic. I love it.

IMG_20190706_105020-01-1984x1488.thumb.jpeg.ccd72985a3739e1223ba1ea9f62b5fa5.jpeg

IMG_20190706_105010-01-1984x1488.thumb.jpeg.49e1d2d86ef857b14ff51871937dc79f.jpeg

Tempted to upgrade to that from my lp60 myself, was planning on the venerable lp 120 at some point but that seems to discontinued, so the price has gone up. 

HMV have been doing a decent vinyl sale for a few months now. They had loads of Universal Black to Black and reissue releases but I’ve also picked up a few bargains including the half speed remastered Eno albums for £12.99!

I’ve popped in again recently and they had newer albums out so they seem to be continuing with it for a bit longer.

Does this mean they can no longer get away with charging over £20 for endless remastered classic albums?

I don't know where you are but I think a lot of them have been blowing stuff out due to them shutting stores down. I guess excess stock will then be moved on to ones that are still open, probably still cheap-ish. Though some of the Eno's have also been on sale on The Sound of Vinyl so maybe they pressed up a few too many?

I think the market has plateau'd a bit. Since last year I've been seeing 'record store day exclusives' floating about months afterwards. 

I've picked up a couple of good things in hmv's recent sale, it's worth digging through now and again. 

How is everyone cleaning/dusting the lids/covers of their turntables? The clear plastic seems so soft, I've got fine scratches on mine already and I've only had it a few weeks.

When the lid is down, just wait an amount of time, and then a cat will be sitting on it. 

Their soft fur is ideal for picking up and removing dirt.

Unfortunately, then you just have cat hair instead of dust, I'm not sure if that's what you were hoping for.

image.png.fff960c0377e154c0b10e134e625ddfc.png

GET OFF MY RECORD PLAYER YOU STUPID CAT. YOU DON'T EVEN LIKE ROXY MUSIC.

----

Changing the subject, I'm trying to go Spotify free. So far I could listen to all my vinyl on Spotify, but without that service, having to get the tracks digitally is hard. What.cd would have been good for this moment, as I want to try and go FLAC all the way. I have no problem Yarring music when I bought the vinyl new.

Are people here just using Spotify to listen to their music away from their record players? Or do you have a method for syncing your digital library with your analog one?

For anything I haven't yet bought - I am going to try Bandcamp for wherever possible. Shipping costs can be awful, but it's nice to instantly get all kinds of file from Bandcamp, stored centrally, while the record label or artist sends you a Vinyl copy themselves. 

I've found with those download codes, some are expired,(wtf), some only download 320mp3, which is fine but I'd rather have lossless.  Most actually don't have a code at all.

Not everything is even available to buy digitally, and I've struggled to fine decent quality torrents or whatever. So I'm even considering buying CDs to rip. We've got the USB Audio Technica, so as a last resort I could actually 'rip' the vinyl.

Ho hum, it's nice having a proper digital music collection though. 

• Upvote 1