vinyl lovers

46 minutes ago, El Geet said:

Man how disappointing. Just set up new Play 5 speaker and Rega P1 to find there’s no bloody stylus! Am I being thick? Removed the cartridge protector thingy and there’s nothing there?

What do the instructions say? Is there a bit about putting the stylus on? 

33 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

What do the instructions say? Is there a bit about putting the stylus on? 

Nope. It should already be installed. It’s broken. Must be from the factory though as nothing there when I removed the protector. 

1 hour ago, El Geet said:

Nope. It should already be installed. It’s broken. Must be from the factory though as nothing there when I removed the protector. 

That’s poor, it should definitely be on there already, all you should have to do is put the weight on and plug it in. 

I was! I sent a snotty message to the retailer yesterday. They responded within a couple of hours apologising and will send me a replacement stylus ASAP. Feel bad they’re responding on Xmas day. 

Still don’t really understand how this happened though. Must have been an issue at the factory as the box was stapled shut. 

Anyway hopefully will get a chance to try it soon. 

So I bought my partner a denon dp 300f as part of her Xmas present and she's gone to set it up today and it's got arm issues. I'm debating asking to swap it for a pro-ject debut carbon evo which is a bit more money but the what hifi review for it is fantastic. 

Anyone used the carbon evo and had any thoughts on it, good or bad? Before I shell out the extra 160 for it. 

Thank you 

Just now, Count Buffalos said:

Not sure, but my pro tip would be to never put any value on what What Hi-Fi write.

Really? Tbh I don't know much about any of this stuff so I was just kind of classing them as which for music! 

Is there a better review site to use? I've done a ton of YouTube watching but to be totally honest I'm sick of how pretentious the audio reviewers I've seen are. 

21 hours ago, ThePinkNinja said:

So I bought my partner a denon dp 300f as part of her Xmas present and she's gone to set it up today and it's got arm issues. I'm debating asking to swap it for a pro-ject debut carbon evo which is a bit more money but the what hifi review for it is fantastic. 

Anyone used the carbon evo and had any thoughts on it, good or bad? Before I shell out the extra 160 for it. 

Thank you 

What is the issue with the arm?

5 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

What is the issue with the arm?

So ill be honest. I don't know Jack about this stuff. 

She's told me that she's balanced it according to the instructions and an online guide and even with max counter weight it isn't resting in the cradle, therefore no chance it'll ever sit on a record to play anything. 

I've arranged a return with richer sounds and ordered her the replacement. More than I'd wanted to spend but hopefully will last a long time. 

42 minutes ago, ThePinkNinja said:

So ill be honest. I don't know Jack about this stuff. 

She's told me that she's balanced it according to the instructions and an online guide and even with max counter weight it isn't resting in the cradle, therefore no chance it'll ever sit on a record to play anything. 

I've arranged a return with richer sounds and ordered her the replacement. More than I'd wanted to spend but hopefully will last a long time. 

That's a shame, but at least RS are pretty good with returns so you're a few days away from being sorted.

I'd recommend getting one of these so you can set the stylus weight up perfectly:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Scale-Stylus-Force-Digital-LCD-Gauge-Portable-Turntable-Pressure/373402835757?hash=item56f08b1b2d:g:pQ0AAOSwO8Vf4wXu

They're £8 on eBay. Pro-Ject do the same thing with their logo on for £25.

Just to show how messed up and liable to take the piss the hi-fi world is, the exact same thing with other branding sells for up to £80.

These guys sell the same thing under three different names, their prices go up to £58. They've got a "high end" scale that costs £439! That's just bonkers.

https://www.analogueseduction.net/stylus-force-tracking-gauges.html

Stylus arrived today!  Not tried too much yet. It sounds good but I prob wouldn’t be able to tell the difference if I were to play from Spotify. But that was never really the point. It was about making me appreciate listening to music a bit more again. 

(Might try some blind testing though.)

I got 4 LP's yesterday, all things that I've listened to repeatedly on MP3 on my phone many times.

I've listened to 2 of them already and they both instantly sound 'nicer'. Better is too objective and some people want that ultimate clarity of a flac file or whatever the best is now. For me I like the warmth and character of vinyl and that's why I'm willing to shell out for something I can already listen to whenever and wherever I want!

9 hours ago, El Geet said:

Stylus arrived today!  Not tried too much yet. It sounds good but I prob wouldn’t be able to tell the difference if I were to play from Spotify. But that was never really the point. It was about making me appreciate listening to music a bit more again. 

(Might try some blind testing though.)

Check the record you're 'testing' had a different master to the digital version. 

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

If the DR is better on the vinyl you should notice it depending on the type of music. 

For example whenever I listen to Dirty Computer on Spotify the vocals sound rubbish compared to the vinyl. 

4 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Check the record you're 'testing' had a different master to the digital version. 

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

If the DR is better on the vinyl you should notice it depending on the type of music. 

For example whenever I listen to Dirty Computer on Spotify the vocals sound rubbish compared to the vinyl. 

That’s really useful thanks. Did a v quick comparison on a Ziggy Stardust album and did sound quite different as the Spotify version was a remaster. 

I think once you a clear a certain bar (not a particularly high one either) with your audio equipment, the limiting factor is always the recording and mastering.

4 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

I think once you a clear a certain bar (not a particularly high one either) with your audio equipment, the limiting factor is always the recording and mastering.

I agree with this. Speakers also have a good impact. But these days, most speakers are decent.

What's a good way to get rid of a load of unwanted vinyl? I have been going through my vinyl and I have a lot of 12"s that I really don't want anymore, mainly electronic, breakcore, noisy stuff. Having a look on Discogs most of them wouldn't fetch much more than postage, and the thought of having to get a load of mailers in, traipse to and from the PO and all that doesn't inspire. 

Was thinking of putting some job lots together and boxing them up, the postage would be ridiculous though. 

Basically I want to consolidate my vinyl and have a nicely curated collection of stuff I can talk about rather than piles of random records I bought on a whim 15-20 years ago. 

Post a list in here first and see if there’s any interest. 

Selling individually is a full time job but posting packs of 10 or so should be relatively easy and affordable. 

7 minutes ago, cubik said:

Post a list in here first and see if there’s any interest. 

Selling individually is a full time job but posting packs of 10 or so should be relatively easy and affordable. 

I'll see what I can do. I mean if anyone wants to pick a ton up and haggle I wouldn't say no. 

13 hours ago, Vimster said:

What's a good way to get rid of a load of unwanted vinyl? I have been going through my vinyl and I have a lot of 12"s that I really don't want anymore, mainly electronic, breakcore, noisy stuff. Having a look on Discogs most of them wouldn't fetch much more than postage, and the thought of having to get a load of mailers in, traipse to and from the PO and all that doesn't inspire. 

Was thinking of putting some job lots together and boxing them up, the postage would be ridiculous though. 

Basically I want to consolidate my vinyl and have a nicely curated collection of stuff I can talk about rather than piles of random records I bought on a whim 15-20 years ago. 

If they're not worth much, box them up and store them somewhere? Most of the stuff I've sold I've regretted selling.

• 2 weeks later...

Have seen a post on here saying don't listen to publications like What Hifi as they just mention and recommend  super expensive equipment. Just wondered what makes I should be looking at for an entry level machine. Ideally it will be blue tooth enabled as I don't want to buy new speakers just yet. Would £200 get me a decent machine? I am in no way a music sound snob - I just want to restart my 1970's rock vinyl collection!

18 minutes ago, Kieran said:

Have seen a post on here saying don't listen to publications like What Hifi as they just mention and recommend  super expensive equipment. Just wondered what makes I should be looking at for an entry level machine. Ideally it will be blue tooth enabled as I don't want to buy new speakers just yet. Would £200 get me a decent machine? I am in no way a music sound snob - I just want to restart my 1970's rock vinyl collection!

I have one of these in the Kitchen, is a really good budget option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-AT-LP60XUSB-Automatic-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B07NX6VTKF/ref=sr_1_41?dchild=1&keywords=turntable&qid=1611163157&sr=8-41

Also have a Project Debut in the living room, Project Primary is around £180 on Amazon, also a good option. 

The Project will be a better product, but I've been really pleased with the AT, particularly the auto-return function.

Also be aware that the Project will probably need some sort of Phono stage depending on what you want to play it through, the AT has this included.