rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

If anyone was wanting anything specific they didn't get on rsd some places are selling stuff they have left online now. 

This is monorail's selection, they have some good things left such as the Life is Strange Before the Storm soundtrack, Van Morrison, Frank Zappa, the bert jansch stuff and the Doctor Who thing 

https://www.monorailmusic.com/releases.html?albumpage_method=genre&albumpage_genre_id=82d3530f-ef62-11e5-ba32-22000bb68fa6

Didn't go out for RSD last week, but still picked up the Floyd and a few other bits and pieces today. now wishing I had stretched to the Zappa, Stones and Stooges...

On 28/04/2018 at 22:04, smac said:

Didn't go out for RSD last week, but still picked up the Floyd and a few other bits and pieces today. now wishing I had stretched to the Zappa, Stones and Stooges...

Not sure where you are, but I was in a shop in Chichester (Analogue October Records) and he had both the Zappa and Stooges today...not sure if he'll do them mail order, but worth a call. If you haven't tried Resident in Brighton they could well have Stones left, if not I know Sister Ray in London had quite a good wodge of it so they may have some left...if that helps! :)

• Upvote 1

I was in Resident Brighton today. They had a whole wall of RSD stuff still. Can't remember any of them specifically though as almost all were things I'd never heard of.

On 30 April 2018 at 22:09, luth714 said:

Not sure where you are, but I was in a shop in Chichester (Analogue October Records) and he had both the Zappa and Stooges today...not sure if he'll do them mail order, but worth a call. If you haven't tried Resident in Brighton they could well have Stones left, if not I know Sister Ray in London had quite a good wodge of it so they may have some left...if that helps! :)

Managed to pick up the Zappa, Stooges, Stones and PiL today.I think I'll give RSD a miss next year. It's too costly. :unsure:

I got the pink version from my regular record store, who kept one aside for me.

I like it a lot. I've only listened to it a couple of times, and am a big fan of Matador, so still deciding which I prefer.

Your verdict?

Also got Josh Ritter's last album (yellow double vinyl with a picture etching on one side), and the latest Josh Rouse at his gig last weekend.

For Record Store Day I got the Ben Kweller release on white vinyl and the Zero 7 boxset.

So I have plenty of listening to catch up on!

I'm also a massive fan of Matador (was my album of 2015). This isn't grabbing me as much yet and I've listened quite a few times now. I like it and some of the songs are amazing, Wounded Egos is a belter, but I find it a little disparate with the big swings in vocal style.

Overall I'm liking it quite a lot but so far it's not up there with Matador.

• Upvote 1

My love for Matador grew very quickly, and like you, this, so far at least, hasn't been quite as catchy. That may change in time. A lot of people are saying that it is his best album yet. Jury still out on that one at the moment for me. 

Is the Jamiroquai one you got a new copy? I listened to that album a lot when it came out, during my uni years. Just realised that it's one I've not checked for on vinyl. Is it readily available?

got a little question for all the people in here if that's okay!

i have these, and i have this. the speakers just connect via RCA and it all sounds brilliant.

i've just moved into a house share so I won't be able to blast my vinyl, so i really need some headphones. however i understand it's not as simple as plug and play.

can anyone tell me what i'd need to listen to my vinyl on headphones given my simple setup?

52 minutes ago, Butters said:

My love for Matador grew very quickly, and like you, this, so far at least, hasn't been quite as catchy. That may change in time. A lot of people are saying that it is his best album yet. Jury still out on that one at the moment for me. 

Is the Jamiroquai one you got a new copy? I listened to that album a lot when it came out, during my uni years. Just realised that it's one I've not checked for on vinyl. Is it readily available?

It's definitely a grower, listened a couple more times yesterday and I'm getting more and more into it but I don't think it'll surpass Matador for me.

Regarding Jamiroquai, it's the 2017 reissue. Emergency On Planet Earth and Travelling Without Moving (I have that too) also got reissues last year. Synkronized got one this year. I picked up Return Of The Space cowboy last Monday in Resident Brighton so easy to get.

http://www.resident-music.com/search&keyword=Jamiroquai

It's a great album, still sounds as good as I remember from '94 and '95.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

got a little question for all the people in here if that's okay!

i have these, and i have this. the speakers just connect via RCA and it all sounds brilliant.

i've just moved into a house share so I won't be able to blast my vinyl, so i really need some headphones. however i understand it's not as simple as plug and play.

can anyone tell me what i'd need to listen to my vinyl on headphones given my simple setup?

I'm no expert but as the speakers have no output I guess you'll need a 'box' in between the record deck (which I see has a built in phono stage), and speakers that is effectively a headphone amp with (passive?) RCA pass through when not feeding to the headphones.

I've never looked into headphone amps though so I've no idea if that is common, possible or maybe even impossible.

19 hours ago, Agent L said:

Anyone else got anything recently that isn't an RSD release?

Picked up an original pressing of The Damned's Machine Gun Etiquette. Great, great record.

33 minutes ago, Agent L said:

the record deck (which I see has a built in phono stage)

I'm not sure it has from that Amazon description (and I didn;t think the Projects did) - the active speakers linked to have a phono input; later in the description you have this:

The Primary is terminated with RCA cables for direct connection to a Moving-Magnet phono stage.

And then in the Q&A:

If you already have an amplifier that has a phono stage input then that's fine just plug it in to that. If not, then you need to purchase a dedicated phono pre amp to make it work.

Maybe look for a cheapo amp with phono in and headphone output.

58 minutes ago, Agent L said:

It's definitely a grower, listened a couple more times yesterday and I'm getting more and more into it but I don't think it'll surpass Matador for me.

Regarding Jamiroquai, it's the 2017 reissue. Emergency On Planet Earth and Travelling Without Moving (I have that too) also got reissues last year. Synkronized got one this year. I picked up Return Of The Space cowboy last Monday in Resident Brighton so easy to get.

http://www.resident-music.com/search&keyword=Jamiroquai

It's a great album, still sounds as good as I remember from '94 and '95.

Brill, thanks @Agent L. Will need to pick up Emergency on Planet Earth and Return of the Space Cowboy. Although I have all their albums on CD, and like a lot of the others, it's those two that standout and that I have a particular fondness for due to the time and place.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, smac said:

I'm not sure it has from that Amazon description

Like I say, I'm no expert. This is in the Amazon features for the deck:

-Built-in MM phono stage

What does that mean?

3 hours ago, Butters said:

Brill, thanks @Agent L. Will need to pick up Emergency on Planet Earth and Return of the Space Cowboy. Although I have all their albums on CD, and like a lot of the others, it's those two that standout and that I have a particular fondness for due to the time and place.

Yeah, they're the best two. I got 'Travelling' as a gift. It's got a couple of great tracks but the album is nowhere near as good as the first two.

• Upvote 1

On 07/05/2018 at 18:27, Agent L said:

I've had a great week for vinyl.

Anyone else got anything recently that isn't an RSD release?

I put in a few calf-wrecking hours in our local dive, with good results:

0.thumb.jpg.52029248cfc2d785ba7ed6cd8dd35dbf.jpg

The topmost three are the real winners - the Tew has The Rockford Files, a James Bond medley and The Eve of the War - but there was no way I could walk away from an LP titled Sounds Like North Cornwall. I ran out of time and left two Undisputed Truth LPs behind, but I went back and got them the other day, along with a brilliant Ray Davies movie themes album called Flashpoint, which has two Bruce Lee themes. Sadly the artist had plenty of reference material for Roger Moore and Telly Savalas, but runs out of inspiration, and possibly time, when he gets round to Bruce:

R-2316081-1476887262-2730.jpeg.jpg.d6210a000d23f1a3f63de441c24aea61.jpg

Still, it's drenched in wah-wah pedals and insists on misspelling Mr. Majestyk throughout, so all is forgiven.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Agent L said:

Like I say, I'm no expert. This is in the Amazon features for the deck:

-Built-in MM phono stage

What does that mean?

Yeah, that's the confusing bit; it makes it sound like it has a built-in amp so you don't have to use a phono pre-amp (or amp with a dedicated phono in), and I don't think that's the case. The other bits I posted contradict that.

The active speakers @Jonzo linked to have a dedicated phono in, which is unusual.

34 minutes ago, smac said:

Yeah, that's the confusing bit; it makes it sound like it has a built-in amp so you don't have to use a phono pre-amp (or amp with a dedicated phono in), and I don't think that's the case. The other bits I posted contradict that.

The active speakers @Jonzo linked to have a dedicated phono in, which is unusual.

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion after reading it all again. It's not clear from the details either way though.

@Jonzo, do you run the speakers on phono or not?

What about a dedicated phono amp that has RCD out for the speakers (which could be set to non-phono) and also has a headphone out? Do they exist?

14 hours ago, Agent L said:

@Butters, World's Strongest Man has really clicked now. I flipping love it all of a sudden. Still don't think it's as good as Matador though, quite.

It's growing on me @Agent L. Like you, I still don't think it beats its predecessor, and I'm not sure it will even with more listens, but I'm enjoying it more and more.