vinyl lovers

I would be happy to take instalments to see it go to someone I'd know appreciated it. What's the rule of thumb for selling used record players?

Also not nagging you to buy, I've been lucky with eBay for stuff like this. 

Let me know if anyone wants to know anything more else I'll shut up and put it on eBay when my SL1200G arrives. 

11 hours ago, Darren said:

I'd like some advice from you more experienced vinyl lovers please.

I've bought a particular LP (Reasons to Dream by whenyoung) brand new three times now, and every copy jumps lots of times on the first three tracks on side A. I sent the first copy back and got a refund, I sent the second copy back (different shop), they sent me a replacement and it has the same problem.

I've tried it on both turntables I have access to (mine and my son's) and it's the same on both, but they are both the same model (Audio Technica LP60) so while I'm almost certain this is an inherent problem with the pressing, I can't completely rule out the possibility that it would be fine on a more expensive/better set up player as opposed to our budget non-adjustable models.

I haven't got back to the shop about this latest copy yet as I'm weighing up what to do. I don't want to mess them about if the problem is actually at my end. There are no comments on the Discogs page for the record so it doesn't seem like others have had similar problems.

Thoughts please, vinyl gurus!

It's probably a combo of both. A badly mastered record and/or pressing error that's beyond the means of the arm on the LP60 to track, where perhaps a better arm would manage better.

Thank you to @Lovelyman for turntable help.

To move things along I've started looking at bookshelf speakers.

It's only for a bedroom...and when I move out, a bedsit.

I've only got a bit of space for speakers (pics attached)

Could you recommend any of these?

Dali zensor pico

Monitor audio 50

Q acoustics 3020i

With my research...they are similarly priced and reviews look positive.

I've seen a gorgeous pair of tannoy revolution....I'm just not going to have the money for anything too extravagant. I'm trying to be realistic so I can listen to my records with a decent sound asap. I'm not limited to the speakers I've posted...it's just these 3 I had already looked at in the past.

Thank you.

IMG_20201111_204413.jpg

s-l1600 (44).jpg

s-l1600 (45).jpg

s-l1600 (46).jpg

3 minutes ago, lankysanchez said:

I have the Q’s and I really like them. Not the bassiest but really precise and expressive to my ears and loud too. And they look really nice in white. 

I've owned some q acoustics in the past from an earlier series...in walnut....

I enjoyed them too :)

thank you too.

1 hour ago, Lovelyman said:

New turntable day. 

:)

I love it. 

And also good news is I found a new owner for my 'old' (not old) turntable. 

She's a beaut, is that the 1200-G? I've got the 1210GR.

What cart have you gone for?

23 minutes ago, cubik said:

I had a Audio Techinica VM750SH on my other Turntable, so I've just kept that. It sounds awesome.

Here's a pic of it set up! I feel kind of frivolous spending that kind of money on a turntable, but I use it every day and we haven't done anything exciting this year!

ACtC-3epBNVlHmBnXWAjiJxzWeTNdzhGemvDZmc-

29 minutes ago, cubik said:

What cart do you have on yours? I almost got the 1200GR but I felt like I was going to buy this and make it last. Plus the brass edging on the platter swayed my wife :D

5 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

What cart do you have on yours? I almost got the 1200GR but I felt like I was going to buy this and make it last. Plus the brass edging on the platter swayed my wife :D

Mine has the Audio Technica VM540ML.

It's great sounding but a little quieter through the phono stage on my amp when you compare it to the other inputs so I send it through a phono pre-amp (art audio Plus) with adjustable gain and then into a standard line level input instead.

34 minutes ago, cubik said:

Mine has the Audio Technica VM540ML.

It's great sounding but a little quieter through the phono stage on my amp when you compare it to the other inputs so I send it through a phono pre-amp (art audio Plus) with adjustable gain and then into a standard line level input instead.

Ah. Yeah AT carts are great aren't they. 

I just wanted add my 2 cents about the discussion a few pages back about the quality of new vinyl.

I buy a lot of new vinyl and very rarely have any issues with quality control or sound quality. Yes, there are a lot of crappy releases (although not nearly as much as 5 to 10 years ago in my experience) but you can avoid them if you do some research before buying. I am aware that this is a hassle not everyone will want to engage in, but it's extremely rewarding if you do. The same record can have multiple reissues which can differ night and day in terms of quality. By not blindly buying but spending a few minutes looking up information you can be pretty sure you are buying something that's worth your money.

Discogs is an invaluable tool for this. I always search for the album, check the all versions page and try to locate the record I'm considering buying. Often there will be comments by other users about sound quality and other issues. Also some labels are known for doing cheap and dirty 'cd on vinyl' releases (like DOL or Waxtime). It doesn't mean everything from them is crap but the risk is higher then when you buy something on Bluenote.

If you want to go further down the rabbit hole I can recommend Steve Hoffman Music Forums, they often have redicilously detailed discussions on specific releases (worth it if you are considering expensive releases).

Also I have to say where the word 'remastered' used to be a reason for me not to buy a record, these days there a re a lot actually very good remasters being released. That actually improve on the original release or add something as a companion to it. Some good examples of excellent recent remasters are:

• David Bowie 2016 remasters
  • The Cure Robert Smith remasters
  • Bluenote 80 and Tone Poet releases
  • Neil Young's Archive releases

And not all of these are super expensive audiophile releases. Only the Tone Poets are expensive at around 30 to 40 euro, The BN80, Bowie, Young and Cure albums can be had for 15 to 20 euro.

Decent in depth comparison of the legendary Technics 1200 Mk2 and the new Mk7 here (or 1210 really as you can’t get a silver one for some bizarre reason!), the Mk7 comes off favourably with a few welcome build improvements but the key is it seems they’ve accurately replicated the feel in the new deck, which is good to hear if you ever need to replace a Mk2.

On 26/11/2020 at 13:33, Sane said:

If you want to go further down the rabbit hole I can recommend Steve Hoffman Music Forums, they often have redicilously detailed discussions on specific releases (worth it if you are considering expensive releases).

I don't know if I'd recommend Steve Hoffman forums, it's mostly populated by boomers who's music taste begins and ends with The Beatles. Example recent thread, 'Does Disco Still Suck?'

If you like classic rock to the exclusion of everything else, then I guess it would be alright. 

I visit the sight quite regularly, I find it weirdly fascinating. The general intolerance for anything that isn’t classic rock is quite something, as is the adoration of The Monkees. It’s a US centric population, some of whom have a very strange understanding of anything that isn’t boomer rock. I particularly liked someone trying to suggest that an Elton John track was psychedelic or amd other where it was suggested that JAMC were a shoegaze band. Naturally, I also enjoy people with magical harding defend £100 USB cables. 

Having said that, there is some useful stuff in there and there aren’t many places you’d see an entire, long thread with people appreciating Cliff Richard.

Edited by Count Buffalos

Looking for some advice please.  We have an amazing collection of vintage jazz records which we inherited from my father-in law. He was a pretty awesome jazz dude and collector. He wrote reviews for jazz magazines (fnar) and definitive discographies for the likes of Count Basie.  The records are probably worth quite a lot of money but we're not really looking to sell them.  However, they've been gathering dust (don't worry they're safely tucked away in dust sleeves) for a few years now and we thought we should at least get some enjoyment out of them and listen to them.  I like jazz but I'm no connoisseur.  They're mostly original vinyl from 50s/60s - don't know if that should make a difference on turntable selection?

I have a Sonos system including a Play 5 so my initial plan was to get a turntable and plug into the Sonos system via the Play 5.  Can anyone recommend a turntable and whether it's worth spending a bit more and getting a separate phono stage or get an integrated turntable?

The turntable will be on display so keen for something that looks nice and I thought a separate tube amp with some glowing valves would look really cool but I'm probably drifting into too expensive territory.  Cheers for any advice!

1 hour ago, Agent L said:

Budget for the turntable?

Not sure really! I was thinking about £300 but could go higher. I know very little about them and not sure what’s the sweet spot for price/sound/performance. I know you can spend a fortune but given it’s a Sonos set up it’s not exactly audiophile standard. 

23 minutes ago, El Geet said:

Not sure really! I was thinking about £300 but could go higher. I know very little about them and not sure what’s the sweet spot for price/sound/performance. I know you can spend a fortune but given it’s a Sonos set up it’s not exactly audiophile standard. 

Dude if you can get two 5s in a stereo pair it is audiophile heaven!

That's my setup and the room tuning really works so I can have my speakers out of the way.

If you can't, cool. If you want to stick to £300, then I would say look at decks including a phono stage and compare them to ones about £20 less (you can get a very decent Behringer phono preamp for £20).

Pick a one you will like to look at / use. Ask about it here.

6 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Dude if you can get two 5s in a stereo pair it is audiophile heaven!

That's my setup and the room tuning really works so I can have my speakers out of the way.

If you can't, cool. If you want to stick to £300, then I would say look at decks including a phono stage and compare them to ones about £20 less (you can get a very decent Behringer phono preamp for £20).

Pick a one you will like to look at / use. Ask about it here.

Cheers, man. So was looking at Project turntables. There’s so many and all sorts of price points. Was considering the Debut Carbon which seemed to be well recommended. Need a phono stage alongside that. Again, so many to choose from. Don’t mind spending a bit more on a phono stage that looks nice hence looked at some tube options. Complete minefield though. 

(Re Sonos, I have a few around the place but only one Play 5. Edit: actually have two Play 5s but one is gen 3 and the other is a first gen ZP5.)

4 minutes ago, El Geet said:

Cheers, man. So was looking at Project turntables. There’s so many and all sorts of price points. Was considering the Debut Carbon which seemed to be well recommended. Need a phono stage alongside that. Again, so many to choose from. Don’t mind spending a bit more on a phono stage that looks nice hence looked at some tube options. Complete minefield though. 

(Re Sonos, I have a few around the place but only one Play 5. Edit: actually have two Play 5s but one is gen 3 and the other is a first gen ZP5.)

Yeah you got to like the look of the setup. When I was using the Behringer I had it out of sight. But I have a nice looking NAD one now.