vinyl lovers

Oh well. I can understand why it’s that way as it’s focused on being as precise as possible, but as a buyer you don’t necessarily care which of umpteen barely distinguishable variants you get.

Today’s purchases from local crate dive. Went in wanting Jethro Tull and Sabbath, came out with Elton John and Hall & Oates. No idea if a fairly knackered copy of Bigger than Both of Us is worth eight quid, but I wanted that artwork at 12” size, and I can always flog it later if I come across a better version. 

E234625D-F670-4A07-B1A7-7E768D4E4A92.jpeg

4 hours ago, Darren said:

Oh well. I can understand why it’s that way as it’s focused on being as precise as possible, but as a buyer you don’t necessarily care which of umpteen barely distinguishable variants you get.

You could always start a personal list, name it wanted, and add the master release to it. From there you can view matching items for sale and filter by format.

• Upvote 1

Saturday purchases. One old- George Benson, Good King Bad. One new- Thundercat- It Is What It Is.

Brum record shops didn’t seem that busy on RSD, no queue to get into Swordfish

684B65F2-01C3-460B-BAB8-B7D380541DAD.jpeg

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Ste_S said:

Typically the George Benson sounds great, whilst the Thundercat sounds muddy. Modern vinyl pressings eh?

What’s the packaging like for the new Thundercat? Not enjoying it as much as Drunk so far, but it definitely has its moments. 

27 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

What’s the packaging like for the new Thundercat? Not enjoying it as much as Drunk so far, but it definitely has its moments. 

Regular sleeve with a small holographic effect wraparound. Vinyl is cream coloured (exclusive to indies), regular version is red vinyl.

There's a also a limited gatefold with clear vinyl out there.

Can't compare it to Drunk. First Thundercat I've got around to buying after hearing Giles Peterson playing his stuff for years, enjoying it despite the muddy vinyl mix.

• Upvote 1

Ah that sounds nice, packaging-wise. I found Thundercat a bit of a frustrating listen at first, as the songs are so short, but once it clicked, Drunk became my most listened-to album in ages. 

So the Hall & Oates LP I bought yesterday is very grimy, and I plan to wash it with washing up liquid as mentioned elsewhere here. 

Any advice on avoiding getting the label wet, other than just ‘be careful’?

I’ve cleaned records in a sink with washing up liquid and tap water (including the label getting wet) and had no ill effects. Usually works very well and cleans up records nicely. 

This has all been on reasonably priced replaceable vinyl so far, not sure I’d try it on something rarer/ expensive.

I'd risk putting a Hall & Oates LP in the washing machine ;)

I've done this before using mild soap (like liquid handwash) in place of washing up liquid.

I didn't submerge the disc, just held it under the tap and got it all wet, then rubbed it by hand with handwash and then rinsed it off under the running tap while trying to avoid the label.

Proper cleaning machines are obviously the better bet for valuable records but if you have a very noisy disc that's not worth much, it's worth a try.

Thanks all. A few years ago I’d’ve said the same about Hall & Oates, but my advancing years clearly have changed my perspective :-)

Plus I really wanted this record on vinyl after it (and the ace sleeve) got talked about on the BBC4 yacht rock programme last year. 

It’s of not real value so I’ll slum it for this one, but you’re right @Jashin I would be a lot more careful if it was expensive stuff. 

13 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Nice. How much for those?

£1.99 for Benson, £10 for Brubeck. Both play nicely.

The Brubeck is a 60s Australian version, fudge knows how it ended up in Birmingham.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...