rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

19 minutes ago, And said:

Ffs my amp has packed up. Anyone got any recommends for an integrated amp up to around £300? 

As plain looking as possible. I'd like a nad but afaik they no longer do one with an integrated phono stage. 

How about a cyrus 3 or 3i? Should be able to get one for about 300, really solid amp, plain looking and one of the most reliable ones i've ever owned?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, And said:

Ffs my amp has packed up. Anyone got any recommends for an integrated amp up to around £300? 

As plain looking as possible. I'd like a nad but afaik they no longer do one with an integrated phono stage. 

https://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/marantz/pm6006/mara-pm6006-blk

If you're thinking of new kit, how about the Marantz PM6006, always gets good reviews and also available in silver.

Silver? Shudders. 

Erm, well, [looks sheepishly at floor] last week I took my stereo apart to put a new storage unit in (bright yellow kallax) and one of my speaker cables must have got tugged out of its banana plug a bit and so a bit of cable from the + wire was touching the other side and shorting the amp out. I've fixed that and it seems fine from some limited testing tonight. So yay. 

Good news is that amp is ok

bad news is that I am a doofus 

Yesterday I hit Ikea to sort out the mess that is my set up. Went from this :
d5c7a30242cc90db3511aba1ae130d5b.jpg

To this :
f73078edade38ccdaa544835bea8c88e.jpg

Anyone got a cheap iMac? My 2006 is soldiering on but sooner or later will collapse.

My AT-LP120 has unfortunately developed a fault, so is being sent back for a refund. 

Fortunately I have a bit of extra cash to spend now, so am going to get something slightly more expensive. I've narrowed my search down to the following: 

Does anyone have any experience of either? Or should I be considering something else around this price range(Sony £275 /  AT £329)? The built-in phono stage is needed as it will need to be plugged straight into my active speakers.

What Hi-Fi have actually done an article on their preference: https://www.whathifi.com/features/audio-technica-lp5-vs-sony-ps-hx500-which-best-usb-turntable - with the Sony coming out top, but it still reads very closely!

• Upvote 1

I have a newbie question. Well, newbie as in I grew up listening to vinyl, but have only recently gone back to having something to play my old and newer stuff on. I am far from an audiophile.

On a few of my records, I get crackle and the odd additional noise. Now I'm fully aware that vinyl has that element of crackle on it at times, something that for many is a comforting sound. However, having heard vinyl being played in various record stores recently, I'm wondering if I'm getting more than I should. I've bought a brush to see if cleaning the records helps any, but what's the general rule on it all? How much crackle should I expect? And could it be anything other than dust on the record?

Crackle is normal on old records that have seen better days. It's a combination of dirt, scratches and dust.

If you have a new record crackling right out the cellophane you have problems.

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Mentazm. Going to test a few of my records over the next few days.

Any suggestion as to what it could be? The needle is only a few months old, but could it be that? Or more likely to be the records?

On 7/24/2017 at 15:24, jimmmUK said:

My AT-LP120 has unfortunately developed a fault, so is being sent back for a refund. 

Fortunately I have a bit of extra cash to spend now, so am going to get something slightly more expensive. I've narrowed my search down to the following: 

Does anyone have any experience of either? Or should I be considering something else around this price range(Sony £275 /  AT £329)? The built-in phono stage is needed as it will need to be plugged straight into my active speakers.

What Hi-Fi have actually done an article on their preference: https://www.whathifi.com/features/audio-technica-lp5-vs-sony-ps-hx500-which-best-usb-turntable - with the Sony coming out top, but it still reads very closely!

I own the AT-LP5 and am super happy with it. The built in phono amp is excellent and the cartridge is ok, but easily swapped out with any AT cartridge. 

The tone arm lacks the height adjustment of the LP120. So I just stick to AT cartridges. You can prob fit others with no problem though. 

I recommend. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Butters said:

I have a newbie question. Well, newbie as in I grew up listening to vinyl, but have only recently gone back to having something to play my old and newer stuff on. I am far from an audiophile.

On a few of my records, I get crackle and the odd additional noise. Now I'm fully aware that vinyl has that element of crackle on it at times, something that for many is a comforting sound. However, having heard vinyl being played in various record stores recently, I'm wondering if I'm getting more than I should. I've bought a brush to see if cleaning the records helps any, but what's the general rule on it all? How much crackle should I expect? And could it be anything other than dust on the record?

Totally depends on how dirty the record is. Really dirty records can end up more noise and crackle that actually music coming out of the speakers. 

Do you have a newish record? try that. Also best to get yourself stylus cleaner, anti-static brush and most certainly a spin-clean. 

• Upvote 1

Assuming no obvious marks or scratches then the following can be the case

Dust and dirt - this can easily cause crackle so clean the record with a proper anti-static brush or a soft anti-static pad (I have the latter). i just run it over the record as it starts to spin up holding it in one place parallel to groove from inner label to outer edge and moving it outward to get dirt and dust off. If they are particularly bad then give the record a clean with distilled water and a "glasses" cloth i clean them by following the groove not across the groove (ditto for brush/pad above).

Stylus Cleaner - I use a small brush on it and also stylus cleaner every so often to tidy up.

Groovewear... A record can look pristine but it's been played so many times it is just worn out. Or it was played on a shit player with weight set wrong. Difficult to spot but easy to hear, if your record is cleaned and looks good and still sounds bad then it is probably groovewear.

Basically old Vinyl may well have crackle

• Upvote 1

On 26/07/2017 at 09:10, Butters said:

Thanks @Mentazm. Going to test a few of my records over the next few days.

Any suggestion as to what it could be? The needle is only a few months old, but could it be that? Or more likely to be the records?

Definitely buy some decent vinyl cleaner before you play those records! I tend to pick up a bit of old stuff from charity shops and they're really manky. But after using a little bit of this stuff, they play pretty well (yeah, you still get the odd crackly and pop, but it has got rid of some jumps too).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINYL-CLEANING-FLUID-RECORD-CLEANER-withTriton-X-100-NEW-100ml-SPRAY-/261076304749?epid=1104720403&hash=item3cc95c436d:g:fS0AAOSwpDdVXQD6

This stuff is only £5.95 and it will last you a fair bit.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Butters said:

I so would have ended up gluing myself and the record to the table.

He really doesn't care for labels though!

Maybe you should watch it again from a different perspective!

Any recommendations for online stores to buy new vinyl releases from? I usually just buy from Amazon, but would like to broaden my horizons!

On 7/26/2017 at 11:08, Kevvy Metal said:

I own the AT-LP5 and am super happy with it. The built in phono amp is excellent and the cartridge is ok, but easily swapped out with any AT cartridge. 

The tone arm lacks the height adjustment of the LP120. So I just stick to AT cartridges. You can prob fit others with no problem though. 

I recommend. 

I went with the AT-LP5 which arrived on Friday. Really happy with it so far. What AT cartridge did you upgrade to out of interest? 

35 minutes ago, jimmmUK said:

Any recommendations for online stores to buy new vinyl releases from? I usually just buy from Amazon, but would like to broaden my horizons!

I went with the AT-LP5 which arrived on Friday. Really happy with it so far. What AT cartridge did you upgrade to out of interest? 

Boomkat

Bleep

Piccadilly Records

Rough Trade

Discogs

Norman Records

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Boomkat

Bleep

Piccadilly Records

Rough Trade

Discogs

Norman Records

Awesome, cheers! Will check them out :)

Hi all, I'm pretty sure my gf has bought me this for my birthday in a few weeks https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CZW7WFQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AZ5FVIF249XIQ

I don't have anything to play it through at the moment (I have an old 6.1 AV amp but I don't think that's what I need). Can anyone recommend an amp and speakers to go with it, budget around £300?