rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

On 06/07/2019 at 11:24, Agent L said:

I ended up with an Audio Technica AT-LP3 for just under £180. Reviewed brilliantly, belt driven, full auto and aesthetically looks pretty decent I think.

I had a really cheap ion before and the step up in sound is fantastic. I love it.

IMG_20190706_105020-01-1984x1488.thumb.jpeg.ccd72985a3739e1223ba1ea9f62b5fa5.jpeg

IMG_20190706_105010-01-1984x1488.thumb.jpeg.49e1d2d86ef857b14ff51871937dc79f.jpeg

It's this one with the supplied heavy rubber mat. 

I do notice it more on new records and I agree that they do seem to turn up with crazy static but it seems to me like everything I play on the turntable ends up being more static than when I put it on now.

I am tempted by those sleeves (thank you) but more money is an annoyance.

• Upvote 1

Poly-lined sleeves are a must if you have static issues really, as much as it's a pain to have to buy them. Paper and (particularly) card inners are terrible for causing static.

I would've thought a rubber mat would be decent with static but if you fancy trying a change cork mats are supposed to be good that way. I got a silicone one years back when I was having issues and it made a massive difference. Careful about the thickness if you go that route though, if you're all nicely set up you might not want to have to readjust the VTA for a thicker/thinner mat.

The static effect is worse when it's a dry atmosphere, it could be the summer (depending on the weather where you are) or maybe you're running a dehumidifier?

Anti-static guns specifically for records are available (google Zerostat), but they're usually around £50 - Some forums reckon you can use cheapo "negative ion generators" from eBay to get the same effect. Never tried it myself though.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/a-zero-stat-on-steroids-following-a-friends-recommendation.311591/

9 hours ago, kernow said:

Is the turntable grounded properly? 

Good point. No, I don't think so. The turntable has a ground strap/lead whatever it's called but my amp doesn't have a place for it, I don't think (I'll need to dig out the manual).

Assuming I'm right in that thinking, do I have any options?

You’d know that the turntable wasn’t grounded because of the horrible hum, so it won’t be that.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190810170644608_COVER.thumb.jpg.3c72223f4b9a7add5c955edfca4ea55d.jpg08I've got a stanton turntable that I bought from Gumtree. It's decent enough. 

I want something a little more classy looking. 

Willing to spend about £200 or so. What should I be looking for? New/Old? Sits in my dining room:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Willing to spend about £200 or so. What should I be looking for? New/Old? Sits in my dining room:

Rega Planar 1 is one of the usual choices around (slightly over at £249)  that price point, nice clean looks and obviously sounds good.

https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-27802-rega-planar-1-turntable.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn7rr8JyS5AIVibPtCh17tgs3EAkYASABEgKssvD_BwE

Project T1 is another option at £239. There's a few colours too.

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/turntables/project-t1-walnut.html

Going up a bit (£259) gets the Project Essential III

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/turntables/project-essential-3-blk.html

All these are new prices, and include cart. If you went for a used TT, you'd get something nice for for £200.

Do you prefer the minimalist looks of these ones or the more industrial retro Sony/Technics types?

Are you bothered about other features; inbuilt phono stage, USB connection, auto-return etc.?

51 minutes ago, cubik said:

Rega Planar 1 is one of the usual choices around (slightly over at £249)  that price point, nice clean looks and obviously sounds good.

https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-27802-rega-planar-1-turntable.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn7rr8JyS5AIVibPtCh17tgs3EAkYASABEgKssvD_BwE

Project T1 is another option at £239. There's a few colours too.

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/turntables/project-t1-walnut.html

Going up a bit (£259) gets the Project Essential III

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/turntables/project-essential-3-blk.html

All these are new prices, and include cart. If you went for a used TT, you'd get something nice for for £200.

Do you prefer the minimalist looks of these ones or the more industrial retro Sony/Technics types?

Are you bothered about other features; inbuilt phono stage, USB connection, auto-return etc.?

I've a phono amp and I don't care about USB. Auto return would be nice. 

Is my Stanton worth selling? It's a T.62. 

While I was researching my recent purchase in the same sort of price range I realised that a fair amount of turntables don't come with a cover/lid. Buying one separately was very expensive.

Worth bearing in mind if that's important to you.

• Upvote 1

There's one of those eBay offers active at the moment for 15% off musicmagpie etc.

Spotted they had the first Kate Bush 4LP box for £36, the voucher brings it down to £31. I already bought The Dreaming but it's cheaper to buy the box than the standalone The Kick Inside and Never For Ever so it'd be daft not to.

Obviously there's loads of other stuff too, I also grabbed the Strut Nigeria 70 comp as it looks like that's in danger of going back OOP.

As a big fan of Supergrass since my teens when I Should Coco was released, this is a big deal:

supergrass-the-strange-ones-1994-2008-super-deluxe-box-set.jpeg.e0eea1b8e074738b493d519b82776f21.jpeg

£150 though!

• Upvote 1

On 09/09/2019 at 17:58, Agent L said:

As a big fan of Supergrass since my teens when I Should Coco was released, this is a big deal:

supergrass-the-strange-ones-1994-2008-super-deluxe-box-set.jpeg.e0eea1b8e074738b493d519b82776f21.jpeg

£150 though!

I've ordered a copy of this at my local indie. Picture discs of all the albums!

Good stuff, I'm still building up to it.  Was it still £150?  The postage from the official site is over £10 but you do get an additional signed picture!!

I must've passed it a hundred times, but finally had time to pop into The Little Record Shop in Hornsey. It's a treasure trove and has some totally unique stock. Got myself a lovely Pharoah Sanders for a nice price which is practically impossible in London. Highly, highly recommended.

1 hour ago, Horribleman said:

Lovely music corner. 

The turntable goes into the line in on the Sonos play 5 which is in a stereo pair with another. 

MVIMG_20190921_101511.thumb.jpg.c8776c8f2fedce3f09728baa905c06a7.jpg

That looks lovely mate :)

• Upvote 1

Hello.

What's the best way to check the price you are about to pay for second hand vinyl isn't way out?

How do you determine between different pressings and other things, and is there a good online resource to keep me on the right level?

Discogs is good for this. You get the lowest / highest / median price for a record, plus it lists every conceivable pressing available. From my experience though you can tend to pay top whack on there though. You're paying for the convenience of it being there to buy now, rather than researching what you want and then tracking it down in shops or giving a dealer a wish list. 

It's a marvel of human endeavour that it exists, but it has practically wiped out the joy of finding undervalued gems in charity shops and car boots. For better or worse.

2 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Hello.

What's the best way to check the price you are about to pay for second hand vinyl isn't way out?

How do you determine between different pressings and other things, and is there a good online resource to keep me on the right level?

Discogs, basically.

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking with the second part of your post but it's likely a massive can of worms with no short answer unfortunately. If you want the best possible versions of things at whatever price you're wanting to pay it can involve an awful lot of research at times: checking Discogs, the Steve Hoffman forums, miscellaneous Googling etc. You do develop a bit of an instinct for things over time but I've been buying records since my teens and I'll still drop bollocks every now and again.