Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

Perfect timing - I buy a new turntable and Technics announce another one...

Oh well, the new one looks like it's pretty much the same as mine but with a reverse play option. It's aimed at the DJ market as opposed to the hi-fi leanings of the current models.

Can't say I'll miss having reverse play. You can change the LED colour from blue to red though, gutted mine doesn't.

I wonder how much it will cost? I reckon slightly less than the GR, maybe a grand or so.

Apparently it'll be £900 which is better than I thought. I'm glad I got my GR in the sale for less than that or else I might have been a bit miffed. I was considering paying more at one point but luckily I waited for a deal. 

They're bringing the SL1500 back too, the original of which is coincidentally what I've just upgraded from and will be selling soon. I think that should be a good seller for them, should be much more affordable than the 1200. 

Sony and audio-technica have both announced new models, some decent looking kit at decent prices. It's good to see the entry level getting a bit more choice. 

• Upvote 1

I've had a crap time of it. Went to listen to a record  on my rega rp1 at the start of the month, and when I dropped the needle nothing happened. I lifted it and realised that there was no needle there at all. I had no idea how it ended up like that, but decided that the needle was at least 3 years old. I thought instead of getting a new stylus I'd upgrade the cartridge from the stock rega carbon. 

Went to the hi-fi shop and had them fit an ortifon red. It was pretty good. Sounded like an upgrade. Went to listen to something, and lowered the needle. I'm didn't hit the groove right away. Then the record played, with an occasional clipping sound. Thought that was weird and then had a look at the needle. It was sideways. Took the stylus off and tried to recentre it, but it's wobbly and won't go in the right place. 

Naturally I'm going to phone the shop once they're open tomorrow, but I feel like the problem probably isn't just the needle. Has anyone got any ideas about what could be going on? I'm getting really tired of vinyl tbh :(

Did they completely set it up or literally just fit the cartridge to the arm and expect you to set it up at home?

Two stylii getting fucked makes me wonder if there's some sort of insane tracking force or the counterweight isn't properly set and that's putting a load of pressure on. Seems extreme either way though really. Have you been playing sandpaper records like Aphex Twin?

The Ortifon probably will be an upgrade, the Rega cartridges generally aren't seen as being all that great compared to others at their price point. The plus is ease of installation and setup on their tables of course.

Sorry, didn't spot you'd responded! Have you been down there?

That's what I thought with that table really, I have a P3-24 and I think they're more or less the same, setup-wise. If the counterweight was really badly set it'd be super obvious really since the cartridge would be smashing into the record but I can't think of much else that could cause something so extreme to happen twice.. Even going for maximum tracking force on a cartridge that tracks light probably wouldn't totally bend a cantilever, though it's obviously still not going to be good for it.

Is the table super level? I guess even if it was a bit off it'd be surprising for it to cause that sort of damage instantly but I'm clutching at straws a bit.

yeah I took it in this morning. Guy didn't seem happy to see me. I went in telling them absolutely everything wanting to be completely honest, and they still seemed pretty skeptical.

I could have just been extremely clumsy and not noticed breaking it while cleaning, twice in one month. Someone could have come in and malevolently sabotaged my player twice (only grown adults in their mid-30s upwards come to the house and none of them go in my room as far as I'm aware, and they don't seem to have any motivation to ruin things for me.)  My only thought is that I moved house with this turntable three times, so maybe the tonearm could be imperceptibly bent? visually everything looks fine.

I just really want to rule out the possibility of a faulty turntable before I spend any more money on fucking needles.

I mean, it's possible it's just a run of horrible luck. If the previous one had been on there for three years and you play loads of records it could well have reached the end of its life. I don't know how long Rega cartridges generally last but for the most part you should get 1000 hours or so out of a decent stylus if it's set up properly.

Then the second one could just be a duff cartridge. It does happen, though the timing would be amazing.

If it was me and I was at the point of paranoia with it I'd probably set it all back to stock, chuck the cheapest Rega cartridge on it (Carbon?) and see if it's OK for a while. That should be the most trouble-free setup in theory.

Another long shot as I don't think this would cause such severe damage, but how are you lowering the arm onto the record? I think it's recommended to just tap the lever and let it lower itself rather than pushing it all the way down yourself, though I did that for ages myself without any ill effects. I guess if the arm mechanism was off that might be a potential place to look.

After a recommendation for a vinyl cleaner. I like the look of the Okki Nokki machine but the Project VCS can be had for over a £100 less. Is it worth getting the Okki Nokki over the Project?

14 hours ago, kernow said:

Not seen the project but the okki nokki is great. Had mine about 7yrs 

That's good to hear.Think I'll stick with the okki. Do you bother with a dust cover for it?

On 12/03/2019 at 12:43, kernow said:

Yes it was expensive at £65 but had to have it. Make up your own cleaning fluid as the supplied isn't great. 

Bought the okki yesterday but they didn't have the cover. Got to track one down now.

I'm guessing making your own fluid is a case of mixing distilled (de-ionised?) water and isopropyl alcohol in a ratio.

I've read on a few forums that some okki users use this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vinyl-Record-Cleaning-Fluid-Concentrate/dp/B007B1BLBI/ref=pd_bxgy_23_2/260-8784201-3735714?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B007B1BLBI&pd_rd_r=51cfda27-45c9-11e9-8042-b1affc6235d9&pd_rd_w=TOaUq&pd_rd_wg=IWKRx&pf_rd_p=a0365e62-3353-40ad-91cf-d4ca762b18a7&pf_rd_r=CG5E1H34R4ZT8R7MNSVH&psc=1&refRID=CG5E1H34R4ZT8R7MNSVH

image.png.df2de7e17dd5ab99ce9d48727bc7079e.png 

Is this just expensive snake oil and making your own would be better?

That stuff is good but expensive. All you need really is 1/5 isopropyl alcohol, 4/5 distilled water and a couple of drops of a surfactant like Triton X ( my ex worked in a lab ), or fairy liquid if desperate. Works great. 

15 hours ago, kernow said:

That stuff is good but expensive. All you need really is 1/5 isopropyl alcohol, 4/5 distilled water and a couple of drops of a surfactant like Triton X ( my ex worked in a lab ), or fairy liquid if desperate. Works great. 

Bought all the ingredients bar the surfactant. Would this be ok

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ilford-Ilfotol-Ionic-Wetting-Litre/dp/B000KZ7QWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1552904039&sr=8-1&keywords=ilford+ilfotol

I've set up the okki and had a quick clean with a record I knew was dirty and it's cleaned it up pretty well with the supplied fluid. Should be better once I create my own cleaning fluid. Trying to source a dust cover is a pain and the number on the okki nokki site goes straight to a Tesco mobile voicemail.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sofasurfer said:

Bought all the ingredients bar the surfactant. Would this be ok

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ilford-Ilfotol-Ionic-Wetting-Litre/dp/B000KZ7QWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1552904039&sr=8-1&keywords=ilford+ilfotol

I've set up the okki and had a quick clean with a record I knew was dirty and it's cleaned it up pretty well with the supplied fluid. Should be better once I create my own cleaning fluid. Trying to source a dust cover is a pain and the number on the okki nokki site goes straight to a Tesco mobile voicemail.  

Yeah that'll do it looks like 

I bought the lid from turntable world, there's a few places that sell it. 

2 hours ago, Ste_S said:

Anyone used these before for a turntable service ? Have a Rega Planar 2 (old one with the wood surround) with an arm that's a bit loose in the baseboard and could do with re-aligning along with a general service.

http://www.the-turntable-factory.com/

Not sure how cheap it'll be for a service. Not I'm pretty sure I've heard good things about them in the past :)