rllmuk
roskelld

Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

so we have Half Life announce now in VR ( please steam don't make this an index/vive exclusive )  but also the genius that is Libre (behind the mothervr mod for alien isolation) is now working on a vr mod for the upcoming Halo Reach pc re-master.    

finished Dr who and it was about 3-4 hours long - I enjoyed it (again mileage will be on how much you actually like dr who)   Some fun puzzles, and yes the weeping angles will freak the feck out of you in VR - at £20 its decent enough - but would hold off a sale at xmas.

Also Vader episode 3 is out this Thursday (final part) here's hoping for a longer episode than 2 was (and a decent end to the story) - with all three parts out I can imagine playing this in a single session as it feels more like  an interactive star wars movie (and around 1.5 - 2 hours long) 

• Upvote 1

Can anyone who has played the following say which they prefer, Asgard's Wrath, Stormland or Robo Recall, like if it was your first game for the Rift which would you be most impressed by?

EDIT* went with Asgard's Wrath. My it's a big boy, says 165gb needed on the store but seems to be saying 77gb once downloading. Should be playing soon mind.

Recommend installing Asgard wrath on an SSD if you have the space.  I had very long loading times on my HDD and ended up buying another SSD for this ... Difference is night and day

for the love of what ever god (s) you belive in - if you own GTAV on steam or via rockstar on pc then do yourself a favour and download the GTAV VR mod - it does what Libre did for Alien isolation.  GTAV in VR is just immense - being able to the level of detal they have put into the game is just staggering and to able to actually walk / drive around los santos in VR  again will blow your mind:

get it here - https://github.com/LukeRoss00/gta5-real-mod/releases

• Upvote 9

Just bought Robo Recall, It's cross buy so going to check out both Rift and Quest releases. Really excited for tonight's entertainment, going big on both Asgaurd's Wrath and obviously Robo. Got a few beers, a few snacks and if I'm good after a few hours in the virtual realm I'm thinking I'll get Beat Saber. 

• Upvote 1

On 29/11/2019 at 23:26, StoooTube said:

I picked up Ultrawings in the Steam sale. Very entertaining VR flying “sim” along the lines of Pilotwings. Not for those that suffer motion sickness though!

Yeah it’s a decent fun arcade flight sim like you said pilot wings in vr.

been playing espire 1 and it’s like playing metal gear solid in vr so far I’m enjoying it 

• Upvote 2

I’ve managed to get my quest working with a Link cable last night. Wow! I thought the quest games were amazing, but this is another level! Thinking of picking up Elite and a driving game - what would people recommend?

Did I read somewhere that Alien Isolation works in VR too?!?

1 hour ago, Hardbattle said:

Did I read somewhere that Alien Isolation works in VR too?!?

Oh yes alien isolation is terrifying in vr

https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases/

also if your playing via the link cable and have a game pad on the pc I highly recommend battle for endor it’s from way back when the oculus dk2 was out out but still the best Star Wars experience and was updated to run cv1 do should work on quest with cable 

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/12334/star-wars-battle-of-endor-updated-for-dk2-and-cv1

also this should go without saying but download google earth vr still my go to chill out  vr experience I could spend hour in it just exploring 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Anyone developed on a PC with Sony's PSVR? Quite fancy having a tinker however guess I would need to buy a Sony devkit?

Turn away traveller there is nothing for you here.

5 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Oh yes alien isolation is terrifying in vr

https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases/

also if your playing via the link cable and have a game pad on the pc I highly recommend battle for endor it’s from way back when the oculus dk2 was out out but still the best Star Wars experience and was updated to run cv1 do should work on quest with cable 

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/12334/star-wars-battle-of-endor-updated-for-dk2-and-cv1

also this should go without saying but download google earth vr still my go to chill out  vr experience I could spend hour in it just exploring 

Thanks for the recommendations I’m just getting the hang of all of this, so these are both not from the oculus store, right?

Where do they appear to get them to work? Do they still end up in your. Oculus library? Sorry for the thicko questions, I’ve been used to just the quest store for a while, none of this PC look around for stuff :)

Im not sure if there has been a newer mod or something, but i always found Alien Isolation a bit odd in VR. Like it's not really "there". If i recall correctly everything looked super big or super small, can't remember exactly.

It was scary AF though.

30 minutes ago, Hardbattle said:

Thanks for the recommendations I’m just getting the hang of all of this, so these are both not from the oculus store, right?

Where do they appear to get them to work? Do they still end up in your. Oculus library? Sorry for the thicko questions, I’ve been used to just the quest store for a while, none of this PC look around for stuff :)

for alien isolation its a mod file you put into your existing alien isolation game folders (long story short the dev put vr into the game but never finished it so the mod unlocks that)  battle for endor is fan made so wont find it in the store but once you run the games once they should appear in your library

the guy behind the mod keeps releasing (well once every 6/7 months new versions) the latest one allowed you to use the touch controllers as joysticks (he is working very slowly on proper touch / hand controls) 

• Upvote 1

As asked in the Quest thread, if I want to use it via the link cable to play Rift games, what kind of CPU/GPU do I need in a PC to get a good experience out of the higher visual quality games like Asura’s Wrath or the upcoming HL:Alyx?

If it's anything like the Vive, any remotely recent i5+ will do it but you'll need something akin to a Geforce 1070.

I use an old i7-950 with a 970 and I'm on the edge for current stuff.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hardbattle said:

How often does stuff go on sale for the Rift? I'm hovering over Dirt 2.0 and Elite - both are cheaper on steam, but I've no idea which version is better to buy....

dirt 2.0 had issues with performance on the rift in steam but I think they have patched and fixed that now. Elite should run fine I had it on steam  before it was in the oculus store (they gave an oculus key if you owned the steam version - not sure if this is still the case but worth checking)

elite would be my pick out of the two an amazing game in vr 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Hardbattle said:

Well I spent yesterday evening in the company of Alien Isolation in VR - holy hell! What an amazing experience!

its still boggles the mind why Sega just didn't finish the VR mode on this as it was already 90% done - its one of the best VR experiences.  You thought alan was terrifying in the 2d pancake version - well he is a two pair of trousers terrifying in the vr version lol 

12 hours ago, Hardbattle said:

How often does stuff go on sale for the Rift? I'm hovering over Dirt 2.0 and Elite - both are cheaper on steam, but I've no idea which version is better to buy....

Steam would always be my first choice for things that merely have VR support as opposed to being VR exclusives - the Oculus store is still ultimately attached to a line of hardware and I don't really know where it'll be in five years. Games mostly tend to run just fine on either - Dirt 2.0 was a notable exception on its initial VR release as it didn't work properly on the Rift via Steam, but that got patched soon enough. Elite, I've had no issues with.