rllmuk
roskelld

Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

CV1s have a number of failures - the earphone connection going being a favourite. For peace of mind, assuming you have an IPD >= 62 (mine is annoyingly 61) I’d get a Rift S: at least then you are covered by oculus’s warranty.

you probably do want the touch controllers or knuckles controllers if you’re into interaction design.

• Upvote 1

Thanks all; this is useful stuff. From looking around, the CV1s and older Vives aren't cheap enough to justify the drawbacks; I was wondering if I might even be able to go for one of those and a Quest. For, you know, research purposes (in fairness a lot of the folk I want to work with are going to be targeting the Quest anyway, so I'll have to pick one up at some point).

And ta @footle, excellent point about having the updated controllers.

My one outstanding issue with the Rift S - is it really impossible to replace the foam or remove it to clean? If running playtests that thing is going to be a smelly boy. Use some kind of cover perhaps?

I bought this for my rift last Xmas.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073357KXC/ref=asc_df_B073357KXC57110714/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B073357KXC&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218715807545&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14583650011805005485&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007366&hvtargid=pla-430166508918

Does the trick. 

The original place to go for them is vrcover.com if I remember correctly they were the first to offer covers and so may have the larger range.

Mine are good enough though. Had them for 6 months now.

8 hours ago, footle said:

You can buy washable covers that sit over the headset. Haven't ever actually bought one though.

I had some of these for my old cv1 as I used to do online endurance racing on project cars 2. Not bought any for the rift s yet but may well pick some up at some point. 

Noticed that Vader game is out now on Rift for about $12.99 , is it worth a punt? Do you lose anything from it being on a RIFT?

12 hours ago, Capwn said:

Noticed that Vader game is out now on Rift for about $12.99 , is it worth a punt? Do you lose anything from it being on a RIFT?

think of it less as a game and the first part of an interactive star wars movie where you are the main character and you will have a blast with it :) i personally love it and cant wait for chapter 2. (kinda like Batman VR) Its my now "show VR to peeps" thing.

you also get a light saber training dojo game with it which is also fun so for £7.99 i think its worth it 

• Upvote 1

I loved BatmanVR, I want more things like that as long as they are creative and highly polished. How long does this part 1 of Vader last?

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

I loved BatmanVR, I want more things like that as long as they are creative and highly polished. How long does this part 1 of Vader last?

chapter 1 is about 40 - 50 mins -  by the time its done it will be equiviliant to the run time of a star wars movie that you star in :)  you then have the lightsaber dojo which goes up to level 40 so a few more hours for that 

• Upvote 1

Tried defector just did the first mission and it was a lot of fun in ways it reminds me of a very old c64 game I played by ocean software called sly spy - now from reading reviews the game apparently does get a bit more liniear later on but so far I’m enjoying it. 

In relation to vader - loved the opening bit on your ship having a nosiey round all your bits and pieces etc then the star destroyer 

tetris effect is now out with vr mode - and its brilliant one of the most fun trippiest vr games ive played ive been addicted for the last hour or two since getting it 

• Upvote 2

Tetris Effect is wonderful! At the moment I’ve got to turn the settings down, but I’ve got a new Gfx card coming tomorrow.

I had some issues getting it to start in VR, for some reason the link in Oculus Home kept crashing. 

Now it’s working my only issue is getting the Oculus back from my 9yo!

• Upvote 1

My Vega 56 arrived today, once installed the Oculus settings default to “quality” rather than “performance”. I was able to ramp up the Gfx settings in Tetris and it really is beautiful. I lost another couple of hours to it again today!

Area X in Rez is also a hugely improved running with max settings. 

My Rift s is waiting for me at home after work, I've never tried VR but I already own a bunch of games to try. Rez, Tetris, everspace and elite will be the first. My pc has a gtx1070, is that going to be ok for those games in vr? It's still a great card for my 1080p monitor.

I'm very hyped to try it out, last time I tried VR was when they had the virtuality machines at the trocadero!

• Upvote 3

Rez and Tetris. Together. As your first VR?

Your eyeballs are going to be drier than the Sahara.

Don't get me wrong, you'll have a fab time but... crikey that's a lot of colour.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, outspaced said:

My Rift s is waiting for me at home after work, I've never tried VR but I already own a bunch of games to try. Rez, Tetris, everspace and elite will be the first. My pc has a gtx1070, is that going to be ok for those games in vr? It's still a great card for my 1080p monitor.

I'm very hyped to try it out, last time I tried VR was when they had the virtuality machines at the trocadero!

I don’t have a Rift, ‘just’ a Quest, but I’m jealous of you getting to try out modern VR for the very first time. It’s a mind blowing and almost life changing experience imo. Your mind will race with the possibilities. Enjoy. 

9 hours ago, JimmytheMook said:

How are people finding the black levels and colour vibrancy on the Rift S lcd screens? Concerned about it coming from an oled headset, PSVR has spoiled me.

Having used and loved PSVR since launch, and having had a Rift S since the weekend, my answer is: Shite, to put it bluntly. 

Both setups have their pros and cons. 

Rift S has higher res, in-built audio, much better controllers, and doesn't need a separate camera/sensor to track the headset. 

PSVR has proper blacks, much better contrast, a larger Field of view, and is far comfier for longer stints. 

Going back to black levels, on Vader Immortal there are a lot of dark scenes, and they look fucking awful on the Rift S. I had to tweak the Gamma in an ini file to make the contrast better. 

I bought the Rift S mainly to play Elite in VR. As a first go on that game it is good enough, it is immersive and fun. But I already want a better VR headset for that game. I can tell you now it won't be the stupidly overpriced (not to mention flawed) Valve Index. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, outspaced said:

I just upgraded to a Vega 56 which I think is kinda in the same ballpark at the 1070. Tetris and Rez run amazingly with everything on max settings. The only game where I have to dial back the detail is Project Cars 2. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Having used and loved PSVR since launch, and having had a Rift S since the weekend, my answer is: Shite, to put it bluntly. 

Both setups have their pros and cons. 

Rift S has higher res, in-built audio, much better controllers, and doesn't need a separate camera/sensor to track the headset. 

PSVR has proper blacks, much better contrast, a larger Field of view, and is far comfier for longer stints. 

Going back to black levels, on Vader Immortal there are a lot of dark scenes, and they look fucking awful on the Rift S. I had to tweak the Gamma in an ini file to make the contrast better. 

I bought the Rift S mainly to play Elite in VR. As a first go on that game it is good enough, it is immersive and fun. But I already want a better VR headset for that game. I can tell you now it won't be the stupidly overpriced (not to mention flawed) Valve Index. 

Thanks for that info, it's what I feared. I'm getting an Odyssey plus on loan for a month soon. Hopefully it's high Res screens combined with oled tech will be a winning combo. 

12 minutes ago, JimmytheMook said:

Thanks for that info, it's what I feared. I'm getting an Odyssey plus on loan for a month soon. Hopefully it's high Res screens combined with oled tech will be a winning combo. 

I can't compare the two, but I'd maybe get a second opinion rather than taking the word of Mr. Hyberbole as gospel. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

29 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I can't compare the two, but I'd maybe get a second opinion rather than taking the word of Mr. Hyberbole as gospel. 

He's actually the fourth opinion I've canvased. All are consistent on the issue, I just wanted rllmuk's take. I'm sticking with oled.

• Upvote 1

Having only tried my rift s, I will say that the blacks are not that black. However after one evening's play I had a great time, but yeah I can see me looking for an oled headset if I really get into it. I'm amazed at the sense of place I had though and the tracking of the touch controllers is really impressive to this vr noob. 

I went for rift s because I had a pc to power it, it only has one cable and no external base stations. Plus the price, about 2/3 of a Vive here in Australia. I'll have a look at these gamma tweaks and consider an index down the track if I'm spending time with my rift s.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Dudley said:

Rez and Tetris. Together. As your first VR?

Your eyeballs are going to be drier than the Sahara.

Don't get me wrong, you'll have a fab time but... crikey that's a lot of colour.

They are lovely! Rez brings back all those DC memories but better than I remember.

7 hours ago, outspaced said:

Having only tried my rift s, I will say that the blacks are not that black. However after one evening's play I had a great time, but yeah I can see me looking for an oled headset if I really get into it. I'm amazed at the sense of place I had though and the tracking of the touch controllers is really impressive to this vr noob. 

I went for rift s because I had a pc to power it, it only has one cable and no external base stations. Plus the price, about 2/3 of a Vive here in Australia. I'll have a look at these gamma tweaks and consider an index down the track if I'm spending time with my rift s.

If you have an issue with the black levels the Index won’t solve it. I’ve had one for about three weeks. Currently selling it on ebay.

• Upvote 1