rllmuk
roskelld

Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

Cheers guys, will defo have a look at those recommendations. 

I've just played Overload for a bit and currently feel like I'm gonna throw up. Think I'm VR'd out for the night!

Really enjoyed Beat Saber and Superhot earlier.

On 30/05/2019 at 16:01, SharkyOB said:

I bought a Rift S the other day.  My god, it's so much better than my original CV1.  I think the upgraded resolution is really undersold in the articles I've read about it, Project Cars 2 is hugely improved with the new headset.

The only thing I'm not loving so far is the sound through the little speakers, the old headphones were much better.

Remember when I said I bought a cheap Rift the other day? After a couple of nights feeling disappointed at the resolution and EXTREME god rays I arranged a refund and bought a Rift S instead. I can't believe how much better the resolution and godrays are on the S, and how much more convenient the setup is. It seems to be really undersold and undervalued in all the reviews I've read too. I'm in love with it. Mostly been messing around in Viveport finding random fitness games and working up a sweat which is half the reason I bought it. I did buy Robo Recall which is great fun, and looking forward to trying Obduction soon. 

Anyway, Rift S, modestly massive and massively undersold upgrade! I'd genuinely rather have this jack of all trades device than pay twice as much for a Valve index and mess around with sensors. If there's a wireless upgrade in the future for a couple of hundred quid I'd buy it in a heartbeat too.

• Upvote 4

I'm thoroughly pleased with my Rift S upgrade.  A lot more comfortable with glasses, way better resolution, great ease of use and the pass through so you can see the world around you is incredibly useful.  My only gripe is that the sound in music games is lacking.  It is absolutely fine for all others, but it lacks volume and bass for Beat Sabre...although when playing that it is easy enough to plug in some headphones, and in my case I also have option to pass the music through to the surround sound in the room.

Now I just need to get around to boxing up and selling the original Rift.

• Upvote 1

I sold some retro stuff I wasn’t using and bought a Rift S yesterday.

Guess who has an incompatible USB3 chipset :angry:

Anyway I’ll hopefully get it running later once the Amazon driver delivers!

• Empathy 3

It’s somewhat ironic I didn’t find the Oculus compatibility tool until after I’d handed over £400... The setup software goes as far as checking the sensors then craps out. 

13 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

ive had to get a new usb3 card was well as my 3rd sensor kept playing up - since i got the usb card its been smooth sailing :)

Can I ask, which card did you buy?

Ah that’s the one! Got it all running, it’s brilliant! Even the demos that came with the Rift are great. Tried some Rez Infinite and my daughter insisted I download Job Simulator!

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Goes without saying by now but beat saber is a must buy for the rift.  Also job vacation simulator is also decent enough 

My favourite experience so far has been Minecraft! So much so, that I don’t think I could go back to playing it on a regular screen?!!

yeah Minecraft in VR is amazing (and also one of my favs).  For those who have just got CV1/S's  i can also recommend Titanic VR - its kinda a two part experience.  One section has you sit and experience of the sinking while on the lifeboats.   It is a decent enough experience, but the bones are on the second part a sim of being able to actually dive and explore the rig using an RV unit

• Upvote 1

Vader Imortal coming to rift today (at 6pm)   its cross buy so if you bought it for quest ist free on rift and vise versa (so you can buy the quest version now in advance to unlock rft version later tonight) 

ok update downloaded and played Vader - i am a huge star wars fan (who isn't) i have star wars toys in my man cave still that i got when i was 4 when empire first came out.

So on that caveat what can i say about Vader immortal?  i fecking loved it - yes its only about 45 mins long - but when you add the two other chapters to come that will be perfect movie length, as this is your movie that you are in taking part in, you are there exploring must-afar getting caught up in Vader's plans, as the role of the reluctant hero rather than a game you play through. 

There is also the saber training dojo which put you against harder and harder training droids will add to longevity of it 

for £8 you cant go wrong esp if you are a star wars fan 

• Upvote 1

Vader Immortal is excellent, I played through it this morning. Yes it’s short, but it’s a great experience if you love Star Wars. For £8 I’d definitely recommend it.

Now we need a VR update of Starwars Arcade and a VR Podrace game! 

Also, regarding the Rift S headset, I’ve not had any experience of motion sickness yet which is surprising... I threw up after the Back to the Future ride at Universal Studios a few years back!

On 22/06/2019 at 11:50, StoooTube said:

Now we need a VR update of Starwars Arcade and a VR Podrace game! 

have you tried battle of endor - its a free star wars fan game, that is really great will make  you wish for a proper x-wing game remake in vr 

download link - http://www.mediafire.com/file/qeuh18urbwfa181/Star+Wars+Battle+Of+Endor+CV1.zip

also spider-man far from home -  free game out not on rift/s - for free its actually quite decent you can scale and swing around Manhattan 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, papalazarou said:

have you tried battle of endor - its a free star wars fan game, that is really great will make  you wish for a proper x-wing game remake in vr 

download link - http://www.mediafire.com/file/qeuh18urbwfa181/Star+Wars+Battle+Of+Endor+CV1.zip

I'll never leave the house again if this happens:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/xwvm

They're planning VR support...

• Upvote 1

I tried the Spider-Man game. Since getting the Rift I'm seeing my PC starting to show its age! It’s all old tech but it’s been fine for playing games in 1440p or 4k on high settings. However the VR really brings it to its knees. Most stuff is fine on lower detail settings but Spider-Man really grinds to a halt when you put the mask on in your apartment.

For the record it’s an overclocked 2600k with an R9 290 Tri-x so I’ve certainly had my money’s worth!

2 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

I'll never leave the house again if this happens:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/xwvm

They're planning VR support...

ohhh will keep an eye on that one - an xwing game just seems like a match made in heaven for VR im surprised an official game has never been made, well on pc since we never got the Battefront VR level that ps4 got

52 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

ohhh will keep an eye on that one - an xwing game just seems like a match made in heaven for VR im surprised an official game has never been made, well on pc since we never got the Battefront VR level that ps4 got

I'm not, EA have the license and are completely wasting it.

9 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

Finally got around to trying Dirt Rally with a wheel and the Rift.

It’s spectacular! And the first time I’ve felt motion sick :wacko:

Yeah it’s a great driving sim but can be stomach churning even for the best of us with our vr legs 

project cars is also very good 

16 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Yeah it’s a great driving sim but can be stomach churning even for the best of us with our vr legs 

project cars is also very good 

Yeah I tried Assetto Corsa which didn’t make me feel queasy. Then I caved and bought Project Cars 2. Driving around Monaco is incredible! This is what VR is all about!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, StoooTube said:

Yeah I tried Assetto Corsa which didn’t make me feel queasy. Then I caved and bought Project Cars 2. Driving around Monaco is incredible! This is what VR is all about!

Try Cadwell Park in the formula rookie :)

• Upvote 1

I need a bit of advice here, and this seems like the thread to ask it in. I'm doing increasing amounts of work for VR content creators and devs, and because I've gone from working somewhere that had plenty of bits of VR stuff onsite to freelancing, I need to get in some kit at home. The main use of it for now will be keeping up with what's going on in terms of interaction design and good practice, but in the future I might need it to play dev builds or run testing sessions with users/players.

What do I go for? The quest looks great, but I have a feeling I should get something tethered in terms of being able to run a wider selection on games/experiences/apps on it. I have a workable PC (with a 1070 and meeting the min spec, but the processor could do with a bump). The Rift S doesn't seem like a huge upgrade (though mixed reports here)  - any bargains to be had on CV1s, or is there an active second hand market for them? I don't mind setting up the sensors too much.

I had a look at the second hand market near me and the older Rift was going for around £250. I decided on the Rift S to avoid having external sensors in my smallish gamesroom. 

With a gtx 1070 you should have a great experience!

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, jonny_rat said:

I need a bit of advice here, and this seems like the thread to ask it in. I'm doing increasing amounts of work for VR content creators and devs, and because I've gone from working somewhere that had plenty of bits of VR stuff onsite to freelancing, I need to get in some kit at home. The main use of it for now will be keeping up with what's going on in terms of interaction design and good practice, but in the future I might need it to play dev builds or run testing sessions with users/players.

What do I go for? The quest looks great, but I have a feeling I should get something tethered in terms of being able to run a wider selection on games/experiences/apps on it. I have a workable PC (with a 1070 and meeting the min spec, but the processor could do with a bump). The Rift S doesn't seem like a huge upgrade (though mixed reports here)  - any bargains to be had on CV1s, or is there an active second hand market for them? I don't mind setting up the sensors too much.

Maybe find a cheap second-hand Vive? There should surely be several owners upgrading about now?