rllmuk
roskelld

Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

2 hours ago, simms said:

Will the Oculus Quest run all current PC VR software or will it require (I'm assuming cut down) versions?

unfortunately no - dev's wil have to port there stuff to quest - so dont expect higher end stuff like skyrim, lone echo etc...   

comparison vid between rift and quest 

2 hours ago, dave7g said:

What is the battery life like on the Quest?

battery life is unknown 

• Upvote 1

Super tempted by the Oculus Quest, I have PSVR but hardly play it with the setup process whereas the OQ looks like it's going to take that away, if they can get the support of devs then I get one as have always enjoyed my PSVR experiences.

just played Vox Machinea there great full on mech multiplayer simulator - using touch controllers you phsycially have to control the mech's controls even when talking to other team mates you have to use the in game CB mic - really good fun as well 

• Upvote 1

On 30/09/2018 at 09:52, dave7g said:

What is the battery life like on the Quest?

I heard 3.5 hours

• Upvote 1

VR's not something you're gonna play for four hour stretches though, is it? Certainly not with the games likely to make it to the Quest - there won't be anything like Skyrim or Elite Dangerous.

• Upvote 1

I got to go to Oculus Connect 5. I tried superHOT and Dead and Buried Arena on the new Quest hardware. Both games were fantastic, ran smoothly with good position and hand tracking.

SuperHOT is a nice room scale experience, with the freedom to duck and dodge the bullets as they fly towards you. It worked well.

But playing against another team in the arena game was a standout experience,  extremely fun and seemingly working with very little setup. They kept the game simple, a gun in each hand and no reloading, plus bonus weapons to pick up when you died. I loved it and getting one when they are released.

IMG_3814.JPG

IMG_3820.JPG

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

VR's not something you're gonna play for four hour stretches though, is it? Certainly not with the games likely to make it to the Quest - there won't be anything like Skyrim or Elite Dangerous.

You don't want to be constantly charging it either. 

Three and a half hours is about on a par with the Switch. It's not amazing, but not bad either and I can't see it affecting me personally. Hopefully it will come with a charging dock of some kind which should make things a little more streamlined.

It’ll just be plug in a USB-C connector.

i can count on one hand how many times I’ve played on VR for longer than two hours: the heat and isolation of the screen tends to put me off a bit.

but cable free VR with hand tracking sounds great - far outweighing a “long enough” battery life and the reduced performance.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

for the last 4 months or so i have been getting performance issues in vr, where games that ran fine where suddenly stuttering - i put it down to nvida graphics drivers etc.. and had to roll back to drivers from a year ago, i could no longer use the new oculus home beta as it was a stuttering mess for me.

well... oculus have released a new update that brings home etc.. out of beta and into a full release - all my issues are gone home runs now buttery smooth - so when you can update, you can skip the wait and select pubic beta to start the download now

• Upvote 1

Guys update to the below - I’ve re- rolled back to ore home 2.0 (luckily you can do this if you updated the pubic beta version)  it makes steam games nearly impossible to play as you have to now have have gone up and running for steam games to work (setting oculus exec to admin no longer works) as I have Alot of be games on steam and do a lot of  testing for vr  games On steam this is unacceptable (one that I’m that I’m helping test at the mo that I can’t speak about about is shaping up for me at least to be a vr multiplayer killer ;-) ) 

Last night I got round to trying the BBC's latest VR History experience - 1943 Berlin Blitz:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2178820058825941/

I thought it was excellent.  I even felt moved to write a review which I'll paste in here too to save retyping my thoughts:

"A powerful way to learn about history

Great job BBC! I found it an immersive and fascinating look into the flight of a Lancaster bomber. It made me think of all the pilots who went out and fought for their countries - many of whom did not return. As a 40 something adult I cant really comprehend what they went through - but this begins to show it in ways regular film cannot. I will show this to my kids. I wish I couldve shared this with my Grandfather. The audio from the time is amazing. Graphically pretty simplistic in places - but I dont think that matters at all. If only all history could be taught with experiences like this!"

Are there still decent games coming out for the Oculus? I have a PS VR and I love it, and I’m craving more VR experiences. But while PS VR has Astro Bot and Firewall and the like, it all seems a bit quiet with the Oculus Rift at the moment.

Anything recent I can look at that might tip me over the edge? And if anyone owns both, is the Oculus experience a noticeable jump up from the PS VR?

@Paulando

The next two big Oculus games that I am looking forward to are:

Stormlands

Defector  (James bond Spy stuff)

i also have my eye on Zero Caliber which *could* be pretty decent

Also - Lone Echo 2!  (how did I forget that, Lone Echo was superb!)

Edited by Valver
added lone Echo 2
  • Upvote 1

ok well dash / home 2 have made my rift nearly unplayable - decided to do a complete wipe of my gaming rig and only have it set up for VR. so when i got the rift installed it installed home/dash 2 :(  (so i then couldn't roll back)  now i am finding performance across the board completely ridiculous - games that ran with no issue buttery smooth such as robo recall etc.. now stutter and freeze - have raised a ticket with oculus (as that is what they advise when you mention it on the Reddit forum  as there have been a lot of peeps having the exact same issue - and so far silence.....  as you guy know from all my posts in this forum alone i am a huge VR / rift advocate but this is leaving a really sour taste that a know issue supposedly highlighted in the beta was allowed to go into live which causes a lot of owners unable to really use there rifts :(

Sorry to hear your woes.  Not sure if its any consolation - but Dash/Home 2.0 are working really well for me.  I haven't noticed any performance issues. Mines a fairly old PC too (i7 2600K, 8Gbs RAM and a 980Ti)    Hopefully its some config oddity and you can get it fixed.

home itself is now buttery smooth (which during the beta was unusuable) but it when running any other games / apps that i notice performanc drops (running steam games now is even worse.)  seems to be a wide spread issue esp with peeps on 970's from the various posts on reddit etc...  hoping that its an easy fix.  ideal would prefare to be able to play stuff without out dsah running in the background (which in the past you were able to do bys etting it to run as admin - this no longer works :( )

ever wanted to be "the Doctor"? fly the Tardis? go to different worlds?  explore the inside of the Tardis?  well now you can  https://feroxxy.itch.io/tardisvr

this is just brilliant (like stage 9 the star trek experience) he answers questions you never thought to ask like does the tardis actually have a toliet? 

• Upvote 2

Anyone tried Pokerstars VR? I was literally crying with laughter at the table. For whatever reason Pokerstars have gave us $50,000 to start with and more importantly a load of mad props to play with. People are all in before the flop and everyone is sitting there dressed like idiots while armed to the teeth with pistols. In VR you can shoot the guns, smoke cigars and give people sitting beside you fist bumps. You can throw rubber ducks and plastic sharks at opponents. It’s mad.

• Upvote 2

On 12/11/2018 at 11:26, Black Cat Supremacist said:

Anyone tried Pokerstars VR? I was literally crying with laughter at the table. For whatever reason Pokerstars have gave us $50,000 to start with and more importantly a load of mad props to play with. People are all in before the flop and everyone is sitting there dressed like idiots while armed to the teeth with pistols. In VR you can shoot the guns, smoke cigars and give people sitting beside you fist bumps. You can throw rubber ducks and plastic sharks at opponents. It’s mad.

My thought process:

9.00pm  "I have no desire to play online poker and lose my shirt or my worse house.  Meh."

9.05pm  "We'll the app is free, I'll give it a quick try.  See what the VR environments and the fuss is about..."

11.15pm - after 2 hours of arsing about with hats and water pistols and cigars... "Holy shit, this is brilliant fun":wub::wub:

So yeah, I played a *bit* of poker,  but it was the social side of it that really blew me away.  

And its all free.  SOLD!

If you can be fussed to install *yet another* bloody storefront application and sign up for a free 14 day subscription, there's currently a superb deal for Vive and Rift users on "Viveport".  You get 5 games of your choice to install and play for the duration of the sub, and the ability to buy any/all of the following to own permanently for £1 each

£1!!

SUPERHOT VR

The Wizards

Arizona Sunshine

Sairento VR

Accounting+

https://www.roadtovr.com/viveport-deal-practically-giving-away-superhot-vr-accounting-subcribers/

• Upvote 2

Mother vr the alien isolation vr mod has been updated to now allow the motion controllers as controllers In game (no hand motion control) as well as a couple of other tweaks 

• Upvote 3

On 15/10/2018 at 13:24, papalazarou said:

home itself is now buttery smooth (which during the beta was unusuable) but it when running any other games / apps that i notice performanc drops (running steam games now is even worse.)  seems to be a wide spread issue esp with peeps on 970's from the various posts on reddit etc...  hoping that its an easy fix.  ideal would prefare to be able to play stuff without out dsah running in the background (which in the past you were able to do bys etting it to run as admin - this no longer works :( )

ok so after 4 months of oculus performance getting worse where games that ran pre home 2.0 fine but after became  juddering messes (with several windows reinstalls) etc.. i gave up hope of oculs providing a fix as it seemed alot of peeps with 970 gtxs where having similar issues (and after speaking with oculus they could provide no answer) so ended up getting a new graphics card - updated to 1060 6gb (I got it very cheap) and hello VR im back games that ran like a dog now run buttery smooth - games that just about ran not are perfect :)  (titanic vr the sinkcing part was a real stuttering mess on the 970 - 1060 and its all glorious :)

well this came out of nowhere - and yet i cant think of a more perfect game for VR - played about 30 mins earlier and its a lot of fun

ANGRY BIRDS VR!! (out on oculus store and Steam store now) 

star wars pod racer... in VR!  well kinda, a fan has recreated the boonta eve classic (the race from phantom menace) in unreal 4 and it looks stunning  - see vid below.  It can also be enabled  to play in vr!

to run - start a race up but before you right click to start go into the console ~ and type Vr.benableHMD 1 enter and then vr.bEnableStereo 1 once done the game will show on your rift headset with head tracking.  now this wasn't made with VR in mind so only 3rd person view works as first person view is kinda messed up - but its great fun :)

if anyone wants to play send me a pm and ill send you a link to my shared file  (i'm sure Disney will be pulling down links every where on this) 

7 hours ago, papalazarou said:

star wars pod racer... in VR!  well kinda, a fan has recreated the boonta eve classic (the race from phantom menace) in unreal 4 and it looks stunning  - see vid below.  It can also be enabled  to play in vr!

to run - start a race up but before you right click to start go into the console ~ and type Vr.benableHMD 1 enter and then vr.bEnableStereo 1 once done the game will show on your rift headset with head tracking.  now this wasn't made with VR in mind so only 3rd person view works as first person view is kinda messed up - but its great fun :)

if anyone wants to play send me a pm and ill send you a link to my shared file  (i'm sure Disney will be pulling down links every where on this) 

Heh, I randomly came across that earlier. It looks pretty good, i didn't know it was VR.

In other news, if you got some Oculus Credit for that day when the Oculus Service died, it runs out tomorrow. Grabbed myself a couple cheap games before i lost it.