rllmuk
roskelld

Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

I pushed on a bit from the log ride intro last night.:rolleyes:

Still didn't progress that far, got to my first fight and the choice of doors/Gods. 

The section just before that, where Senua looks right at you and tries to touch you (in fact her eyeballs pivot to look directly into yours if you move your head left or right during the scene), that was proper hairs on the back of neck, almost rip off headset creepy level stuff.  When VR is done well and you feel immersed, (and the audio in this is really adding to that)... my god it's a powerful medium.

Fortunately I *was* able to sleep afterwards.  :D

• Upvote 2

Got myself an Oculus Go last week, and have found out about ALVR which lets you stream SteamVR games to the headset.  You can't really play anything that requires the Steam motion controllers, but anything that uses a gamepad should be fine.

Tried it with Rez Infinite last night and was really impressed.  It's supposed to work with Revive as well, so will give Dirt Rally a try later.

well my cable has stopped working - I can hear sound but no picture - orange light while not being used but one on no white light - no kinks, or bends in the cable - hdmi  connectors are both fine (use dvi adapter so bought a new one same issue) mate brought his rift round last night so I could check in case it was pc related - but no worked fine. Used his cable on mine and works - so its the cable .  As the rift  is less that a year old  -  I'm hoping oculus will replace the cables as I can see no fault with it etc.. (This is a brand new replacement rift that oculus provided nine months ago for a fault that may have been more "me" related that there's but ssssshhhhhhhuuuuusssshhhh - they believed me at the time :))

yeah just got a message new cable has been dispatched for free (didnt even want me to send my old cable in as proof just took my word)  so back into VR by the end of the week :)

like i said ive found there support great in the past last year i got a crack on the side connector beween the main part and the head band - my two year old decided to drop it on me - so i told them it was a "stress fracture" - they told me to send them just the headset so they could check - week and a half later a full oculus kit arrives for me with headset, sensor and xbox one pad :)

I don't suppose anyone know's if they charge to repair scratches on the lense? Or have suggestions for fixing them. I've noticed 1 on the one lense and it's a bit irritating ^__^ For most people it wouldn't be an issue but I can be a funny bugger about these things.

On 06/08/2018 at 07:29, Speech said:

Got myself an Oculus Go last week, and have found out about ALVR which lets you stream SteamVR games to the headset.  You can't really play anything that requires the Steam motion controllers, but anything that uses a gamepad should be fine.

Tried it with Rez Infinite last night and was really impressed.  It's supposed to work with Revive as well, so will give Dirt Rally a try later.

What's it like? I'm tempted. I thought there'd be loads more chat about it but it seems to be goin under the radar for some reason.

11 hours ago, Sng said:

What's it like? I'm tempted. I thought there'd be loads more chat about it but it seems to be goin under the radar for some reason.

Well, I haven't tried a Rift or a Vive, so I can't compare it to those. 

It's comfy to wear, altough it feels a little heavy after a while.  I really like the built in speakers, the screen is good, nice and sharp.

Native games are pretty simple affairs, mainly because it's a 3dof headset, and also I guess because it's essentially mobile tech.

It's most suited to being used as a media player, vr videos/netflix etc.  The fact that it's untethered means it's so easy to just pick it up and start using it when and wherever.  The biggest downside is the low battery life, 2-3 hours and it needs a recharge.

• Upvote 1

well my new cable from oculus arrived on Friday and ive been back into VR action.  Been played the Next Generation DLC for Star Trek Bridge Crew - the furthering adventures of the "USS Sexy Pants" and its ongoing mission to just stop from being blown up by every one we meet - having a blast playing with my mates on this one (along with fake Patrick Stewart accents and "shut up Wesley" etc...  )

also got round to giving xplane 11 a go in vr - its really good (though ive had to set setting down  as its a beast to run in vr) it has full VR touch control built in  and seems to be more indepth now that MS Flight sim

• Upvote 1

finally got a chance to get a proper game on the "the forest" last night - one of my fav pc survival games just got a whole lot scarier (and its was already two pair of trouser game already!)   VR is really well implemented - the whole island feels great, and fun to explore.   The building controls take a little while to get to grips with but once you do its fairly easy.  But none of that matters cause when the horde of cannibalistic natives/mutants creatures  attack in the dark of night you will no fear!  even more so when playing with friends and they are runin around screaming like little girls as things keep leaping out of the darkness at you as you realises the two walled shelter that you have spend 20 minutes building is as useless as a fart in a wind machine!

Iron wolf has been given an officaal launch on Oculus home now (native oculus sdk)  if you own the steam game you can use the following link to get an oculus home key - if you havent tired it Iron wolf is worth a go a WW2 sub simulator that you can play with your friends (think star trek bridge crew Das Boot) very atmospheric and you sink your sub and the waters rush in as you slowly drown in a sardine tin it can be quite panic inducing!

https://keys.ionized.tech/?t=88dc5f7f32ba979ae8a5dfd1da7b9b68f6387e19863442d8b6bbd5bd5c8e0b75

• Upvote 1

Creed vr is now out - played last night and it’s an excellent boxing game. Surreal moment fighting in a match and turned round to see virtual rocky / Stallone at the side of the ring :-)

quick vid i made - 

• Upvote 2

XLM are suposed to be annoucing another Star Wars Game/Experience at todays Oculus Connect .  Will prob be the vader thing they have been working on - lets hope we get a proper kick ass light saber game! ( i can also dream we also get either a proper xwing game or POD RACER!!  game :)

New stand alone oculus headset announced the oculus quest will sit between the rift and the go comes with touch controllers and 6 dof -wireless and will have versions of robo recall, super hot and the climb etc.. on it also the new Star Wars game is Vader immortal and seems to be quest only as a launch time dam it! Price is $399 out spring 

oculus rift news lone echo 2 was announced!’ Supper happy one of the best games I’ve played on the rift was the original 

• Upvote 2

I'm quite interested in the Quest. I haven't touched my Rift in a long time, in spite of the ridiculous amount I spent on the kit, and that's mainly because of how inconvenient it is to actually use. The Quest could solve all that, and at a good price too.

I could see the quest being a huge Xmas hit next year.  Just the thing needed whilst we are in the middle of a console cycle.

Rec room, windland 2, superhot etc. There is quite a lot there for little Johnny (or little Jane) to pick and play on Xmas day.

It looks like a solid way to build up a critical mass for vr.

• Upvote 1

On 26/09/2018 at 22:13, papalazarou said:

New stand alone oculus headset announced the oculus quest will sit between the rift and the go comes with touch controllers and 6 dof -wireless and will have versions of robo recall, super hot and the climb etc.. on it also the new Star Wars game is Vader immortal and seems to be quest only as a launch time dam it! Price is $399 out spring 

oculus rift news lone echo 2 was announced!’ Supper happy one of the best games I’ve played on the rift was the original 

Will the Oculus Quest run all current PC VR software or will it require (I'm assuming cut down) versions?

2 hours ago, simms said:

Will the Oculus Quest run all current PC VR software or will it require (I'm assuming cut down) versions?

unfortunately no - dev's wil have to port there stuff to quest - so dont expect higher end stuff like skyrim, lone echo etc...   

comparison vid between rift and quest 

2 hours ago, dave7g said:

What is the battery life like on the Quest?

battery life is unknown 

• Upvote 1