IGNORED

Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

roskelld

Welcome to your new world. Fucking incredible eh? The thing that always gets me is.....this is just the beginning, and it won't take long to get MUCH better (12 months or so, hopefully not too much longer). Every day or two brings some new delight...and every time I enter the world of HL2 my mind is blown....and how old is that game now? Anyone with a bit of imagination should be able to look past the low resolution, screen, lack of positional tracking etc and think 'if this is what it can do now....where will we be just a few years from now'. Especially as we're not waiting on any new inventions at this stage; a better screen, positional tracking, wireless etc should all be achievable in the near future. Happy days and welcome to the club!!!!

Wireless with the added latency?

http://au.gamespot.com/news/oculus-rift-secures-16-million-in-funding-6410362

Oculus Rift secures $16 million in funding

Venture capital funding led by Spark Capital and Matrix Partners to be used to "accelerate" development of virtual reality technology.

Virtual reality company Oculus VR has announced it has secured $16 million in venture capital funding, co-led by Spark Capital and Matrix Partners, with additional money from firms Founders Fund and Formation 8.

Oculus_87367_embed.jpg

The funds will be used to "accelerate" development of the Oculus Rift hardware, software, and services, the company said.

"Oculus began with a single mission: to put players inside the game," said inventor Palmer Luckey. "This investment allows us to deliver immersive and affordable virtual reality to players everywhere."

As part of the funding allocation, Spark founder Santo Politi and Matrix general partner Antonio Rodriguez will join the Oculus VR board of directors.

In a statement, Oculus VR CEO Brendan Iribe explained that many challenges still lie ahead for the company, but the extra funding should help it achieve its goals.

"There are still many challenging problems to solve, but with the support of these great investment partners, and our passionate community, we will continue to hire the brightest minds and stay laser focused on delivering the very best virtual reality platform possible," Iribe said.

The Oculus Rift headset was successful on its first day on Kickstarter, raising a total of $2.4 million at the close of its crowd-funding campaign. Development kits are available now for game makers, though no release date has been set yet for a public release.

Oculus VR cofunder Andrew Scott Reisse was killed last month in Santa Ana, California. Reisse was crossing a sidewalk when a Dodge Charger carrying suspects fleeing police struck and killed him. He was 33.

Just want to say, I got to try the dev version yesterday and now I'm a believer.

I'm seriously tempted to cancel my pre-order PS4 and just go with this and a more powerful PC instead. It really was a game-changer.

Im not in the slightest interested in the new consoles, all i care about is this. I wish they would just hurry up and do a high def dev kit. As soon as that happens im getting one. Even if I have to sell a kidney.

If Titanfall is Oculus Rift compatible... I can't even type that without having a giant grin on my face. That would basically be the best thing in the entire history of gaming (for me, anyway).

I wonder if USB3 on the PS4 has anything to do with a possible Rift support (or something like it) at some point in the future? Given how overwhelmingly positive the reaction to this has been I'd be surprised if Sony aren't considering this as the PS4's main add-on, particularly given they have form in this field. Certainly sounds a fuck of a lot more appealing than Kinect 2.

Id imagine whichever console bags an exclusive with it first will be laughing.

I doubt either will. They'll probably make their own ripoff instead, because the whole point of the Oculus project was to make the headset with off-the-shelf parts. That being said, ether way, I want to see the technology proliferate.

Id imagine whichever console bags an exclusive with it first will be laughing.

sony could make this for peanuts from their own components. they proberly make more than half the stuff Palmer and Co are buying in.

i'm genuinely amazed that no-one has announced any Oculus Rift knock offs. they are being smart by getting software support in place - but surely as they are just assembling everything together off the shelf - this is easily ripped off?

Autumn 2014 is a long way away.

I'm genuinely amazed that no-one has announced any Oculus Rift knock offs. they are being smart by getting software support in place - but surely as they are just assembling everything together off the shelf - this is easily ripped off?

They'll be waiting until it's finished, or so finished that they can buy a kit, rip it apart, then build their own practically identical one. Cheaper than doing the research.

Can you still get hold of the dev kit then or do we have to wait for the full release?

I think you can still put an order in for one on the Oculus site, but right now I'd consider waiting for the next version which will have the 1080p screen. I imagine they'll be available at some point later this year.

I think you can still put an order in for one on the Oculus site, but right now I'd consider waiting for the next version which will have the 1080p screen. I imagine they'll be available at some point later this year.

It's worth noting though that they said at E3 that they had no plans to release a 1080p devkit. Although it would be nice if it happens.

It's worth noting though that they said at E3 that they had no plans to release a 1080p devkit. Although it would be nice if it happens.

Oh really? I didn't realise. I remember hearing that they would be releasing an updated dev kit later in 2013 so I just assumed it would be the 1080p version...

Hnng, no money but want one so bad, not been this hyped for hardware in ages. Whats it work out as completely in UK£ with delivery included and any import taxes?

One thing that I am uncertain about though is that so far I have only seen the demos and such running on you tube, clearly the FPS market is a big target for this device but I was wondering how it plays? Specifically the central targetting crosshair? does it appear blurry or anything, it it accurate as to where your mind percieves it to be? Probably didn't explain that to well :)

Do you find yourself using the mouse to control the view out of force of habit when looking around or do you seem to just adjust overtime? Presumably you need the mouse to look all the way behind you still.

I bought a new creative soundcard last pay day specifically to match with the rift and some decent headphones. :)

Mine arrived the other day and honestly this shit is just incredible.

I tried a demo called Titans of Space - its a simulation of a cockpit view, watching the various planets orbit the sun. Before the thing had even fully started up I was stuck staring at the menu and just being excited at the fact that there i was - in the middle of space looking at a menu in a cockpit.

Then I looked down, saw my legs and lost the plot.

Believe the hype with this thing!

There are lenses inside that account for its proximity. You can even adjust their distance from your face (though close as possible is the ideal as it gives you the widest viewing angle) or replace them with ones designed for people who need glasses.

One thing that I am uncertain about though is that so far I have only seen the demos and such running on you tube, clearly the FPS market is a big target for this device but I was wondering how it plays? Specifically the central targetting crosshair? does it appear blurry or anything, it it accurate as to where your mind percieves it to be? Probably didn't explain that to well :)

Do you find yourself using the mouse to control the view out of force of habit when looking around or do you seem to just adjust overtime? Presumably you need the mouse to look all the way behind you still.

this video goes into plenty of detail about integration into FPS games (using TF2 as an example) and the different possible control systems that could work.

And yeah, you'll need a mouse/controller if you want proper 360 viewing. There are possible non-controller solutions like increasing turning speed at the edges of your vision, but they kind of go against the 1:1 nature of the simulation.

I just watched Escape from New York on this thing with a program called VR Cinema 3D. I was just going to watch 5 minutes of it for the sake of seeing what it would look like, plus since the program can only take avi files at the moment and the devkit doesnt exactly lend much clarity to the image I was expecting to be somewhat repulsed by it. But it was magnificent. Its hard to describe but its basically you in an empty cinema with your favourite movie on a giant cinema screen. The level of immersion was something i've not seen before, this shitty avi transformed from a thing on a computer to me standing on the other side of the street watching Snake Pliskin mowing down bums and hobos - the thing had a certain degree of three dimensionalism! I totally forgot i was sitting with my feet up, in my pajamas next to my computer and just got lost in it. Watched the whole thing ^_^

Obviously the 1080p will serve amazingly well with opening up the clarity of what you're seeing but honestly, i wasn't minding I had that screendoor effect over it.

I keep wanting to come up with some well written explanation as to why using this is so enjoyable, but I spend 20 minutes with it on and all I can manage is "uh huh huh huh, awesome!".

Its pretty much the most brilliant advancement in games I could imagine.