rllmuk
roskelld

Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

Lot of gear vr games padding out that list I must say. As a gear vr owner, and even accepting the limitations of a mobile vr device, most of the gearvr games I recognise on that list are fun for about 5 minutes with gameplay as deep as a puddle.

I need to figure out what games are Oculus Rift "exclusive", as in the ones make use of the Oculus SDK.  I will get the Vive if any game I buy on the Oculus store works with it.  Luckey Palmer has said this regarding exclusivity 

“When we say ‘Oculus Exclusive,’ that means exclusive to the Oculus Store, not exclusive to the Rift,” 

I'm guessing games on the Oculus store have to be written for SteamVr or OpenVr by the devs to work?  

I was part of an outreach thing at a primary school yesterday. My bit involved schlepping a beastly PC (Titan Black, aww yeah) with a Rift DK2 and giving the kids a go in RiftCoasterHD. They went absolutely mental, they loved it; we had moderate screaming, kids gripping the seat, kids nearly falling over, and one teacher with vertigo who tried it anyway and came away white and sweating. Three of them told me it was "well sick" which I believe is high praise indeed.

• Upvote 6

I've been hearing still of reports of the whole nassau with the OR consumer kit so I'm still a bit concerned about that. Honestly, that is one of the things that i think will make or break VR. Apparently ginger ale can help but i hate the stuff and i don't really fancy drinking that ever time i play.

5 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Just takes time to adjust.

I'm not convinced. I had a DK2 and used it plenty of times, but in the end i had to stop using it because it was basically play a game for 15 mins and go lie down for 60 mins. I've never suffered motion sickness before till VR. I would love to "adjust" and hope that is the case but i'm not hopeful.

In any case, i feel a lot of people will stop at this hurdle.

22 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

I'm not convinced. I had a DK2 and used it plenty of times, but in the end i had to stop using it because it was basically play a game for 15 mins and go lie down for 60 mins. I've never suffered motion sickness before till VR. I would love to "adjust" and hope that is the case but i'm not hopeful.

In any case, i feel a lot of people will stop at this hurdle.

I`m sure there are different extremes depending on the person in question.

The first time I played Quake on the gear vr I felt awful after about 15 minutes. The next day I lasted longer, after a few days I could play it for about an hour or more, at which point I would have had my fill and stopped playing, so I`m not sure how long I could have gone.

I will say though, that I pushed through it because I am hyped for VR etc etc but VR nausea feels so bad that I don`t think most people would ever bother going back to something if they get nausea the first time they try it.

Part of it was learning what not to do in a first person vr game (don`t strafe, close your eyes if you walk off a high ledge etc).

I do think sitting down with a gamepad will make it far worse though. turning around with an analogue stick is a killer.

23 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

I'm not convinced. I had a DK2 and used it plenty of times, but in the end i had to stop using it because it was basically play a game for 15 mins and go lie down for 60 mins.

The techs completely different now (you do realise that DK1/2 were meant to be developer units to make games for, not public consumption right?) with much better screens and way higher rates etc etc.

• Downvote 1

It is possible to develop your VR legs.  It took me a couple of months to get used to the DK1 when I first got it.  My mistake was throwing myself into experiences that I simply wasn't ready for.  Jumping in at the deep end with intense experiences just isn't going to work because after 15 mins you "nope! out!" and that's not long enough for your brain to acclimatise over time.  After trying for 2 months and repeatedly failing I came across an article that explained that I needed to maintain a fairly strict order.

In summary, I learned to stick with comfortable experiences only then over time, slowly decrease the comfort level.  Back in the DK1 days that meant starting with demos that you didn't even move instead just looked around (eg Blocked In), then move onto games with very slow movement (eg blue marble, titans of space, greebles) and slowly build up to games with faster speeds (windlands and so on).  Like I said, took me about 2 months trying it this way but it did work.

I'm generally fine in the headsets these days but extreme stuff like rollercoasters and themepark fun rides still are uncomfortable ... most likely because I find them uncomfortable in real life too.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, davidcotton said:

I predict that come May, these thoughts will be very far from your mind.  Look at it this way.  By the time you will be able to get round to VR and Oculus 2nd or 3rd gen might be out and will be a much more polished affair anyway.

15 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

If you buy and don't think it's for you, im pretty sure you would get your money back from selling it pretty easily..

But yeah kids.. kinda gonna keep you busy for a while ;-)

Thanks both, I think you're spot on. VR will be a long way from my mind. 

Are you sure you're not getting mixed up with the current pre order cart page? Actual orders have never shown a shipping date - mine still says TBA (was a June preorder originally)

This is what mine says:

Order Status

Pre-order

Tracking #

(TBA when your order ships)

Ah you are so right, that was what I was doing. Yeah, mine has gone from May to TBA.

In the meantime I've been beefing up my rig recently, was brutal getting there but am finally ready.

Before:

VQ2Vi3x.png

Now...

WFC7ibi.png

• Upvote 1

Well only a week to go and still no shipping date! I was a pretty low number (25) but reading on Reddit today there seems to be some talk that it own't go off your number but in order of region. So the lower you are listed in the UK the more chance of getting yours early.

Lucky's Tale gameplay trailer.  I'll be interested to see how this reviews and its usage of VR.  It looks great.

Finger gestures look pretty sweet immersion wise - I'm really torn on Rift v Vive at the moment - they're both so compelling and excellent options and I keep changing back and forth which says they both have such different pros and cons - my Rift isn't due till June so plenty of time to see what happens

• Upvote 1

The wait is starting to become agonizing. I think I'm going to be in the first batch, but won't know for sure until we get some more info.As the store launches on the 28th is there any possibility they could ship early so people have them in their hands for then (unlikely I guess, but you know they're just sat awaiting delivery at this stage, so if they don't ship until 28th then the store launch will be a bit of a let down on day one as no-one will have a Rift. One can but dream :)

Got my order confirmation email last night, they have been working their way through the first batch and seems to be if you got an email you will get it in the next 1-3 weeks. The original esitmates given in January don't count.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Got my order confirmation email last night, they have been working their way through the first batch and seems to be if you got an email you will get it in the next 1-3 weeks. The original esitmates given in January don't count.

Yep, no email for me. I had a 25 order number, order went in at about 9 minutes. Seems that I've missed the first batch even though my original estimate was March and other people in the UK on similar order numbers have received their email. It makes me a very sad puppy and I really don't see the logic behind the order of the orders. Oh well, it gives me a chance to get another SSD and turn my PC into dual boot with Windows 10 as it seems that will be needed to get the most out of timewarp.

Even though your estimate says 1 - 3 weeks I'm pretty sure that is just them covering themselves and you will actually get it early next week :)

As for me :(

• Upvote 1