roskelld

Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

Just now, Strategos said:

Great to despite preordering every other bastard is going to get them before me :/

Hey i'm in the same boat as you... fingers crossed we get them soon ^_^

Mine have just turned up too, despite the Tuesday delivery date. :D

Of course karma has knocked out my landline connection, so it's not like I can download any new games for it.

• Upvote 3

Weird ... UPS have changed my Touch delivery again.  I'm getting the earphones today but getting the Touch controllers tomorrow.

Wee bit frustrating given that both arrived at the main Edinburgh UPS building (which is 2 minutes walk away from my work) at the same time but they only put one parcel on the van??

Oh well, easy-come easy-go.  I've taken a half day off tomorrow and working from home in the morning so that will let me ensure everything is downloaded and ready when it finally arrives.

Mine just arrived. Awesome and bugger. Was expecting them tomorrow so no idea why they turned up from UPS a day early. Obviously it's good news....but I was planning on installing my USB3 card with 5 additional ports and new 750GB SSD today ready for tomorrow!!! And I have plans today although have both days off....bugger and bugger....but of course YAY YAY YAY!

• Upvote 2

Still no shipping yet =(

Processing for Shipping
Congratulations: your prior Rift preorder qualifies you to have a preferred place-in-line for your Touch preorder!

Estimated shipping: Dec 06 - Dec 15

It appears that two parcels got delivered after all!!!

See reviews going up reddit so the embargo must be lifted.

Fingers crossed the games can be downloaded tonight

So I just played about in Touch for about an hour

Negatives out of the way first. And when I say negatives, I mean negatives about my set up. Not the touch.

I basically have a fairly small area due to having a large squat rack, olympic barbell and bench for bench here (would love to give up being in shape for VR roomscale, but I have a feeling that wouldn't work out well) and on the other side of the room I have a new KS7000 K4 HDR TV I'm terrified of flailing my arm into while in VR. So in the set up space I just about got a "moderate" area set up and guardian works great to prevent me falling over the bench or getting too close to the TV - but the guardian walls are almost always showing (due to the fairly small area), even when I'm not standing quite at the edges. Hopefully there is a setting for "don't show the edges until I am right at the edge" or something or I need to mess around with the set up more. I am happy I didn't get the Vive because the set up would be so much more cumbersome and I don't have the space to ever take advantage of it and will never need a third sensor from Oculus.

Also I jumped right into Steam VR and I think I might need to redo the set up because it thought I was about 4 feet tall and in each app my real life knees are where my VR feet were. So some kinks to work out there. I think I need to rearrange the room a bit and mess around with sensor placement.

Now, with those obstacles out of the way

- The Rift without touch isn't real VR. It's an imitation of what true VR interaction is, the rift feels complete now

- The controllers are incredible, they melt into your hands and the hand presence they provided is beyond immersive

- Finger pointing and thumbs up feels insanely cool in VR

- Space Pirate Trainer tracked perfectly, only downside was guardian grid getting in the way visually at times but the game itself is intense on another level. You know all those action/shooting games you have played since being a kid and you have had moments (like maybe pulling off something insane on Halo: CE Legendary) where you feel like a badass? That was nothing - holding up your shield and shooting shit in the air with your actual hands in VR and you are an ACTUAL BADASS 

Really impressed - can't wait to get the play area kinks ironed out and really be confident in messing around.

• Upvote 3

Just ran through the setup which was pretty cool, I've got a tiny area so actually struggled to get the sensors far enough apart.

Interestingly, it says I own quill/medium/dead and buried, but I haven't had any codes through to redeem?

Quill/Medium/Dead and Buried are free for all Touch Users and don't need codes. Only preorder bonus games though (Sports/Unspoken)

Ripcoil is also free!

I had issues getting my sensors up and running they really do insist on them being 1m or so apart.  I'll need to rethink my setup but its working OK just now

12 minutes ago, dood said:

Wtf just got a shipping email! UPS  says no tracking info yet available, so I'm still expecting Wednesday at this point.  But that's fine. :)

Me too!  would be nice if it comes Wednesday but otherwise Thursday is good with me..

39 minutes ago, Simbo said:

Ripcoil is also free!

I had issues getting my sensors up and running they really do insist on them being 1m or so apart.  I'll need to rethink my setup but its working OK just now

Do you mean you were putting yours too close or too far apart? 

47 minutes ago, dood said:

Wtf just got a shipping email! UPS  says no tracking info yet available, so I'm still expecting Wednesday at this point.  But that's fine. :)

Ditto. Wednesday would actually be more convenient because then I can give warning that I won't be in work that day.

As it is, if it updates for delivery tomorrow, before I leave tomorrow morning, I'll just have to email my boss. Priorities.

(I'm in a teleconference at 9am each day this week in any case; any my planned touch day was Friday).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dood said:

Do you mean you were putting yours too close or too far apart? 

too close ... had to move them further apart and then they were fine