Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Shedders

Deadlight - XBLA - 1200 MS Points - 01/08/2012

boxartlg9.jpg

Release date - 1st August 2012. Price - 1200 MS Points

"The world has ended. There is no hope. No new beginning. Only the survivors. DEADLIGHT follows the journey of Randall Wayne, a man searching for his family across Seattle during the aftermath of a 1980s event that has decimated life on earth. This visually stunning Cinematic Survival Platformer will challenge you to run, jump, climb, and struggle for your life as you look for answers and the ones you love"

Anyone else looking forward to this? I can't wait for it! Looks set to be the best Summer of Arcade game this year (Apart from Dust maybe)

• Upvote 1

It does get a bit frustrating mechanically to be honest, sometimes, you can run past the shadows, other times you can't. Bit of a shame for a game about being precise to have that element of pot-luck about it.

Deadlight is really fucking short, that's the one thing to know about it, really. It does the platforming really well but that's about all it's got. There's no exploration, there's very little in the way of puzzles, but the platforming is fun enough that just going through the world (which looks incredible) is enough to carry the game.

It only carries it for about 2-3 hours though, then it's finished, so think carefully before you spend 1,200 points on it, and make sure you accept what you're getting for the money.

Deadlight is really fucking short, that's the one thing to know about it, really. It does the platforming really well but that's about all it's got. There's no exploration, there's very little in the way of puzzles, but the platforming is fun enough that just going through the world (which looks incredible) is enough to carry the game.

It only carries it for about 2-3 hours though, then it's finished, so think carefully before you spend 1,200 points on it, and make sure you accept what you're getting for the money.

Did you win a code early from PlayXBLA?

Eurogamer 7/10

True Achievements 5/5

God is a Geek 7/10

Generally getting mixed reviews it would seem.

Those reviews are odd. I've skim read the God is a Geek and Eurogamer ones and they contradict each other completely on the topic of the stamina bar. And neither appears to mention the slightly shonky jumping that IGN and Edge have noted. The mechanics are either sound or they aren't :mellow:

Those reviews are odd. I've skim read the God is a Geek and Eurogamer ones and they contradict each other completely on the topic of the stamina bar. And neither appears to mention the slightly shonky jumping that IGN and Edge have noted. The mechanics are either sound or they aren't :mellow:

For the most part they're okay, when you've got time to do stuff. Then the last part of the game is a set-piece where you constantly have to act quickly and the controls aren't up to it. There's one part in particular where it only seems to even register a button press one time in ten, that's how bad the controls are when the game's trying to work at speed. I didn't have any issues with jumping though, it's the shooting that's messed up.

The stamina bar might as well not be there. It just stops you swinging your axe 1,000 times but the axe is totally useless anyway, and there's hardly anywhere else where you'll even notice you've got a stamina bar.

Thanks. On the basis of the reviews and impressions I've read I'm going to skip it. The controls and gameplay ought to be super-polished in a game so short and linear. That they aren't is exactly the kind of thing that totally ruins my enjoyment of games like this.

Ok, I'm getting confused here... how long is this game? TTK says 2/3 hours, IGN says 5/6 and CVG says 8. CVG reckons it 4 times longer than TTK :huh:

There is no fucking way CVG spent 8 hours on a playthrough. Maybe if you complete it, then get all the collectibles, then spend 4 hours doing speedruns, maybe then you'll get 8 hours. You'll be lucky to get as many as three hours on a normal playthrough if you're not searching every nook and cranny for collectibles (which are not particularly well hidden anyhow).

The top time on the leaderboard (after speed runs) is under one hour.

I've somehow managed to get stuck. The game was super-easy til now as well, I must be missing something obvious.

Climbing up a hotel, I've come to a gap in the floor. There's a ledge above it but it's too high up. The door on the other side of the gap is boarded up. In one of the previous rooms it looks like there's a collapsible ceiling or something but I cant see a way to trigger it. Can't see anything to shoot and nowhere to go

Edit - Nevermind, I forgot I could wall-jump :facepalm:

Oh and I think the in-game clock is insanely wrong. It's telling me I've been playing for 23 minutes and there is just no way in hell it's been that short. I'd say double that.

Very generous trial of it, just finished and there was probably fifteen-twenty minutes of gameplay in there. So about half the game then. Arf arf.

As has been mentioned in most reviews, the narration just doesn't work. It baffles me that Tequilla Works didn't look at the game's absolutely stunning visuals and think 'these do all the talking'. So rather than just becoming fully absorbed in your isolated character's journey through this bleak, beautiful world, you're always slightly distracted as you wait for the next terrible and trite bit of dialogue to clunk out of his lips. Cut-scenes ok, yes, but no more. Also, I was playing on a 26" t.v and the detail was just too fine to make out certain parts, diary pages were unreadable and it wasn't always clear where zombies were coming from or what I could interact with. I think it's because the game has a big 'border', on 40/50" sets it would probably look quite clear.

From reports of the jarring second-half transition and longevity for the price, I think I'll wait for a drop. Also helps that I want to save this title for when I get a bigger t.v!

• Upvote 1

Honestly I think it's pretty crap. I can barely be bothered finishing it as it is. Assuming the trial is just the first 20 minutes of the game then that's basically the game at its best. It just gets worse and worse. I thought I'd be happy enough if it was a pretty 3-4 hour platformer but it doesn't even accomplish that. It's flawed in so many ways.

Honestly I think it's pretty crap. I can barely be bothered finishing it as it is. Assuming the trial is just the first 20 minutes of the game then that's basically the game at its best. It just gets worse and worse. I thought I'd be happy enough if it was a pretty 3-4 hour platformer but it doesn't even accomplish that. It's flawed in so many ways.

Seeing as no-one else seems to be showing an interest in this thread. Could you expand on the game's faults?