Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Harsin

When he keeps trying to grab the glove and the dog growls at him. I love Steve Martin in these films, well this and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. John Candy would have become a great dramatic actor had he lived longer, he already was good at being vulnerable and digging deeper, but..more. It's such a shame. 

4 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

When he keeps trying to grab the glove and the dog grows at him. I love Steve Martin in these films, well this and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. John Candy would have become a great dramatic actor had he lived longer, he already was good at being vulnerable and digging deeper, but..more. It's such a shame. 

I always ponder what incredible performances we’d have got from him on the small screen as HBO type channels and then streaming came along.

An epic sitcom or two certainly, but who knows what else on the big and small screen.

One of my favourite things about the film is how you can imagine the Thanksgiving after the film ends

Spoiler

Neal's family might ask around the dinner table for them to tell the story of what happened, and you can imagine Neal laughing along as Del launches into the epic tale (with some embellishments) and getting along famously with everyone and filling their house with laughter and joy.

The idea of it honestly makes me feel really emotional again.

I remember the first time I watched this, probably around 10 years ago, and had no preconceptions other than 'popular 80's comedy' so that final 5 minutes hit me like a sledgehammer. I can't watch it without tearing up. The Dream Academy track does a lot of heavy lifting too. Those 80's movies have an unquestionable heart that is so rare in modern mainstream films today.

12 hours ago, mr_woo said:

Fantastic! Didn't know there was a 4K release, thats on the Xmas list now.

Also I had not seen this deleted scene before but I thought it was great.

Thanks for sharing, so good. 

I might have to buy this if there's a digital version released.  

I wonder if there's enough content for some internet nerds to splice the footage together to make an uber long cut that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

I remember the first time I watched this, probably around 10 years ago, and had no preconceptions other than 'popular 80's comedy' so that final 5 minutes hit me like a sledgehammer. I can't watch it without tearing up. The Dream Academy track does a lot of heavy lifting too. Those 80's movies have an unquestionable heart that is so rare in modern mainstream films today.

Ditto, I remember the first time I saw and and was not expecting that at all. It's wonderfully crafted. 

The point about the lack of heart in modern films feels right, but I wonder if the nostalgia of living through the 80s is doing most of the heavy lifting there? Because in my head I always think back to films of the late 80s being a more innocent time but a lot of that comes from being a kid and not knowing a lot about the 'real' world.

So many brilliant moments, an absolute favourite of mine.

”He’s proud of his town!”

”We were robbed!”

And yes it can make me well up just thinking about poor Del, delivering his “cause I’m the real article — what you see is what you get”, and then immediately laugh my head off remembering his child-like “caught looking” head turn as he’s laying in the bed in a sulk. It’s so good.

I’m genuinely not sure if they do make this kind of innocent movie any more. I can’t imagine something like Stand By Me not being a much darker, more unpleasant reflection of society if made today. Maybe we’re just old cynics but that kind of simple story doesn’t seem to be enough for film makers.

“I never see films like the ones I did when I was 12. Christ, who does?”

I love that we're all talking about brilliant bits of the film and no-one has even mentioned the car rental scene.

There’s so many little things - like the way Del drapes his Casio over his arm to try and barter it to the motel manager. Proper QVC sales technique 😄

• 1 month later...
On 18/10/2022 at 21:54, mr_woo said:

Fantastic! Didn't know there was a 4K release, thats on the Xmas list now.

Also I had not seen this deleted scene before but I thought it was great.

Can't believe I've never watched this scene before. It's amazing.