IGNORED

Line of Duty (BBC)

Stanley

Spoiler

I don't think there's any chance that Balaclava Man is ACC Hilton. Huntley only started flirting with him later on to get AC12 off her back – she wouldn't have been trying to frame innocent people for him right from the very start. My money's on the posh lawyer guy, possibly due to an affair. Feel sorry for Jamie getting the blame for Maneet's treachery, but I don't think he's going to let it lie. 

Spoiler

I don't think there is one 'Balaclava Man' - I think it's an organised group (with links to Hilton) that uses that 'disguise' whenever they do something nefarious.

Spoiler

The Jamie thing really bothered me - so sloppy for them. He'd surely have looked at the timestamp, offered his alibi, mentioned that just the other day somebody had him write down his login details for an apparent reset that never happened....too many holes in that one which is a shame.

I agree with @rgraves...

I think balaclava man is a number of different people who each commits a crime under a single identity "Balaclava Man", but Hilton is the ring leader.

However, I do think some of those crimes were committed by the lawyer, James/Jimmy is it? He looks big and burly, he has history with both Roz and her husband and could have had a plausible reason for being at the office to throw someone over the banister.

AC -12 have been well bummed in the gob last 2 episodes.

Spoiler

My money is on the solicitor Lakewell as "balaclava man". That Jodie lassy is so up DCI Huntleys bum she'll do anything she's asked unquestioningly. I wonder how ACC Hilton got Maneet to betray her colleagues? 

On 24/04/2017 at 12:11, rgraves said:
  Hide contents

I don't think there is one 'Balaclava Man' - I think it's an organised group (with links to Hilton) that uses that 'disguise' whenever they do something nefarious.

Spoiler

Yep, agree with this. Things are still linking back to the previous three series, which surprises me, as I thought this new one would pretty much be standalone.

Spoiler

I initially got the impression it was Huntley's husband and his lawyer but the 'revelation' about baseball bats and balaclavas makes me think they're hinting at some sort of conspiracy - not sure to what aim, though, because I got the impression Hilton was under loads of pressure at the start of the series to catch the Balaclava Man killer.

Is one of the victims the waitress who gives Gates a free breakfast in season 1 or am I imagining that?

Having given this a pass after not really enjoying a couple of episodes of season 1, I started season 2 on Friday and ended up watching everything up until the latest episode over the weekend.  I've been relentlessly by-the-book at work so far this week!

Well then...

Maybe it hinted at it too strongly but imagine if Hastings was the ring leader.

To what end would that be? Why would you chase the "baddies" for 4 seasons only to be revealed that they are actually part of his whole conspiracy...

Surely it can't be that straightforward?

10 minutes ago, smithstock said:

Well then...

Hide contents

To what end would that be? Why would you chase the "baddies" for 4 seasons only to be revealed that they are actually part of his whole conspiracy...

I guess we will be kept second guessing that until the show finale. We need to get a mole into the mob as well, I am hoping for some tense Infernal Affairs like scenes.

Spoiler

One Arm Roz was pretty great, she would have been a better AC 12 officer than any of them. I'm sad that we didn't get a reaction shot of Jodie learning that her brown nosing didn't get her anywhere. Only the bit with Jamie stretches credulity a bit, I didn't honk he was that dumb; I guess we won't know what Hilton had on Maneet? Was hoping Arnet's ex would do a bit more as well and Jimmy Lakewell didn't even fight it. I guess we ran out of time, oh well. There is plenty of set up for future season(s) though, wondering what big actor they can bring in for this next.

21 minutes ago, smithstock said:

Well then...

Reveal hidden contents

It did cross my mind but I think it would be a bit too obvious.

Anyway, despite the slightly iffy first episode, that was another gripping series. Mercurio better get cracking with number 5, can't wait!

27 minutes ago, smithstock said:

Well then...

Hide contents

Spoiler

It can't be Hastings - it just doesn't fit with the series 3 finale.

I reckon the  grand conspiracy will involve

Spoiler

the Masons in some respect, and because of H you're supposed to think Hastings is the mastermind, but by the end he turns the tables and breaks his oaths to take 'em all down. 

If I've understood correctly...

Spoiler

Roz killed forensics guy. It was in a panic, just as he was trying to dismember her, and she tried to blame anyone and everyone to cover it up. Even her husband, the crazy so and so. 

Balaclava man was multiple people, and is a separate conspiracy (well, Roz was investigating the Balaclava men abductions / murders, but they were never on the same side or knew of each others conspiracies).  

There is a shadowy group whose big bad ('H', who has not yet been revealed) blackmails people by planting their DNA on dead women's bodies. This has been going on throughout all 4 seasons now. Balaclava men help enact this conspiracy, kidnapping girls and generally using the disguise to do bad stuff.

Forensics guy (who was slowly putting together the Balaclava men conspiracy himself, and knew Roz was barking up the wrong tree) used the balaclava disguise to send the police off his scent when he went to buy dismemberment tools prior to his own death. 

Neal from The Office was involved in the H/Balaclava man conspiracy, and helped by pushing Roz to go after the guy with mental health issues who was being fitted up.  Neal from The Office called in one of the Balaclava men to dispose of Steve, who was getting too close to figuring things out.  Roz redeemed herself a bit by figuring out Neal from The Office was involved. 

:omg:

When Hastings went all John Wick!

That ep was glorious, properly satisfying end and more than enough to whet the appetite for the next season.

Agree with Timbuktu, only downside was not seeing Jodie crumble like an over-dunked biscuit when Roz fell on her sword.

Otherwise, that was mint.

That episode went so fast, I couldn't believe it was over.

Spoiler

Whilst I enjoyed seeing the net tighten on Roz during the AC-12 interview (how awesome are those scenes??), it felt like Roz's confession basically gave them the whole story in a handy chunk.

I wish there had been a scene with Jodie though.

Did we ever find out what was the reason behind Maneet's actions? Do we think she was being blackmailed by the threat of planted DNA evidence?

On 5/1/2017 at 07:04, NickC said:

If I've understood correctly...

Hide contents

Roz killed forensics guy. It was in a panic, just as he was trying to dismember her, and she tried to blame anyone and everyone to cover it up. Even her husband, the crazy so and so. 

Balaclava man was multiple people, and is a separate conspiracy (well, Roz was investigating the Balaclava men abductions / murders, but they were never on the same side or knew of each others conspiracies).  

There is a shadowy group whose big bad ('H', who has not yet been revealed) blackmails people by planting their DNA on dead women's bodies. This has been going on throughout all 4 seasons now. Balaclava men help enact this conspiracy, kidnapping girls and generally using the disguise to do bad stuff.

Forensics guy (who was slowly putting together the Balaclava men conspiracy himself, and knew Roz was barking up the wrong tree) used the balaclava disguise to send the police off his scent when he went to buy dismemberment tools prior to his own death. 

Neal from The Office was involved in the H/Balaclava man conspiracy, and helped by pushing Roz to go after the guy with mental health issues who was being fitted up.  Neal from The Office called in one of the Balaclava men to dispose of Steve, who was getting too close to figuring things out.  Roz redeemed herself a bit by figuring out Neal from The Office was involved. 

Yeah pretty much, Hastings WAS H though... he'snot the top bod, he's just another high ranking official under their thumb (thats the question that was asked of Dot when he was dying)

The organised crime group, that Tommy Hunter was part of, murdered prostitutes that were being banged by high ranking officials and people with power and kept their corpses on ice to use as leverage to get what they want.

Hastings had a thing for call girls (heavily hinted at with trying to get Roz up to his room and the use of a burner phone etc)

I would imagine the reason for the bodies being discovered is that they possibly didn't need one any more (due to person being blackmailed dying) and it was found,so to take the heat away from them (frozen body rocks up dissmembered) they created a "serial killer", killed a couple more and framed the bloke with the learning difficulties, hastings putting Roz on the case as he knew she was extremely driven and hungry to prove herself.

1 minute ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

should have been "Jodie finished her work experience and went back to college".... she looked about 16!

Jodie cut off her own hand and donated it to Roz

• 2 weeks later...

I think the UK has had some excellent cop stuff these past few years. I certainly prefer it to the American equivalents. Luther, LoD, Happy Valley, No Offence and The Fall spring to mind straight away. All really good concise series.

22 hours ago, carleton said:

I think the UK has had some excellent cop stuff these past few years. I certainly prefer it to the American equivalents. Luther, LoD, Happy Valley, No Offence and The Fall spring to mind straight away. All really good concise series.

I also loved The Fall. Saw a bit of Luther but it didn't stick with me for whatever reason, although as I keep hearing good things I should give it another go. Happy Valley... is that the show with the woman who used to play the bimbo from Corrie? OK will try it. Never heard of No Offence, will look it up. Cheers for the tips!

The last series, well if you can call two episodes a series, of Looooofaaaah was bollocks. Up to then though very watchable.

Happy Valley is decent. Sarah Lancashire is great in it.