IGNORED

Line of Duty (BBC)

Stanley

I thought that first episode was pretty ropey in places, script, acting, direction. It's a good show, but I don't think the quality is necessarily there the whole time.

I felt like I was watching a spoof of the show at times.

3 hours ago, Professor Rob said:

I'd advocate watching it from the start, in order. First two series are on Netflix, third is on iPlayer. It's a close call, but I'd say it's at least as good as Happy Valley.

I did 'like' it and have actually now started to watch S1 but so far it feels like an above average, average police show! It all seemed a little corny and over played.

My big issue is the first episode of the new season which felt like a huge arc; from an opening with exciting, compelling action to standard procedural to jumping the shark. 

In fact, @Spongepretty much sums it up to me. 

3 hours ago, Sponge said:

I thought that first episode was pretty ropey in places, script, acting, direction. It's a good show, but I don't think the quality is necessarily there the whole time.

I felt like I was watching a spoof of the show at times.

Agreed.

Am I wildly off the mark, but thought that Tim was...

... revealed as balaklava man, after he thought he'd offed Huntley.

Seen speculation elsewhere Huntley's husband is actually the killer.

Or have I been red-herringed?!

1 minute ago, glb said:

Agreed.

Am I wildly off the mark, but thought that Tim was...

Hide contents

... revealed as balaklava man, after he thought he'd offed Huntley.

Seen speculation elsewhere Huntley's husband is actually the killer.

Or have I been red-herringed?!

Tim 

Spoiler

was def not Balaclava Man. He was just a slightly weird and obsessive copper, determined to see Justice done but also ready and able to dismember a colleague at the drop of a hat!

The other speculation...

Spoiler

No gorunds for it yet as presented in the show other than he's a "face you know from other stuff" and that always implies a bigger role. Would at least feed into why Huntely is so determined to make this all go away and have an innocent man jailed. But I don't see it myself.

20 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Tim 

Hide contents

was def not Balaclava Man. He was just a slightly weird and obsessive copper, determined to see Justice done but also ready and able to dismember a colleague at the drop of a hat!

Think that's what threw me; he went from wanting things sorted out by AC-12 to completely the other end of the spectrum. Plus the bit in the cafe was a bit... stalky.

46 minutes ago, glb said:

Think that's what threw me; he went from wanting things sorted out by AC-12 to completely the other end of the spectrum. Plus the bit in the cafe was a bit... stalky.

Yeah, he was clearly willing to cross some boundaries, but not others. But I suppose that's true of us all. 
I'd hate to take part in a cover up of wrong doing but would happily dis-member a co-worker.

44 minutes ago, Commander Jameson said:

I'm sure it will come out, but I'm confused about...

Hide contents

Huntley linking Iffield to the first murder. Wouldn't that mean that they have the wrong man in Farmer?

Yes. The question is why she's willing to do that. 

I now take that to be...

because she knows the evidence against Farmer is weak, so while fitting up Ifield could have professional repercussions (wrong man on remand), him being balaclava man might detract from her role in his death. She could even end up a heroine for finding the 'real' killer and freeing Farmer

Plenty of holes in that I suppose, but enjoy playing the ifs, whats and maybes.

Knew who balaclava man was the minute the actor appeared in Ep 1. Partly for his other roles, and also it just fits this kind of show. Unfortunately predictable. But at least they got it out of the way in Ep 3.

On 10/04/2017 at 11:51, Monkeyboy said:

Latest episode...

Hide contents

So Steve is dead, right? I mean how do you come back from that? It looked brutal.

Said the same, missus thought he'd be severely injured but alive. Guess because the AC12 unit know where he is but don't hear from him, they'll get to him, which tightens the net around the Huntleys.

Freshest guess is we're supposed to think Roz knows what hubby is up to and is fitting up Farmer, but personally  think she's none-the-wiser and fitting up Farmer was purely to ensure she closed a big case and restored her reputation. Her undoing will be thinking Arnott is out the picture for the foreseeable and that she's out of the woods with Ifield, but the revelation about her husband will lead her to make a stupid mistake that leads to her undoing.

I'm really enjoying the series, it's nonsense but good nonsense and hasn't (yet) disappeared up its own arse like the BBC's other big-hitters, Luther and Sherlock.

On 10/04/2017 at 08:51, Monkeyboy said:

Latest episode...

Hide contents

So Steve is dead, right? I mean how do you come back from that? It looked brutal.

Spoiler

On seeing Arnott lying there, my first thought was "So that's why they introduced a new character into AC12. It's his replacement". My second thought was "unless that's what they want you to think..."

After ep 4...

Either Huntley's demise is going to be utterly glorious, or she's going to snake her way out and leave a huge burning pile of mess behind her. The colossal bitch!

And Maneet! Say it isn't so?! Disappointed by that turn, especially with someone as odious as Hilton.

Guess Jodie might be the weak link now, if Roz walks over her once too often. Got the sense there was a little flicker of annoyance during the episode when Roz shut her down, question is whether Jodie is too blinkered by her admiration to see what's going on?

All in all, eps 5 and 6 shaping up to be gold.

Another good episode.  They do like to cram a lot in each one don't they?

My wife and I were laughing at the bit where

Spoiler

Michael Falmer's Nan came to see him.  She got to the point, didn't she?

"Hello, I'm your Nana, you always tell me everything, don't you?  So, did you do it?  No?  OK, well say that then.  Bye!"

So who the fuck is 

Spoiler

Balaclava Man?!

It can't be

Spoiler

forensic's guy - he was dead before Balaclava Man dropped Steve down the stairs.

It can't be Roz's husband as it would just be too far-fetched for Roz (a killer) to co-incidentally marry another killer, and for them to not know about each other's crimes (he's a criminal lawyer and she's a detective).  Too many things don't make sense in that scenario.

Could it be ACC Hilton?  Clearly he's a cunt but Balaclava Man is big and stocky in those pictures... and he's a weed!

My money's on Neal from The Office.  I reckon he's been having a long-term affair with Roz (he's recently divorced remember), and knew about Roz's work troubles (not being able to find the killer), and turned her toward his mentally-challenged former client Michael Falmer to solve her work problem and simultaneously deflect away from the fact that he's the real killer.  Plus he was in the building when Steve got chucked down the stairs.  Plus he's a chunky fella.  No idea on motive though.  Finally got sick of Brent showing him up at Wernam Hogg and went on a killing spree?

Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Have to agree @NickC ; that person is the only conceivable suspect unless they introduce someone new in the last episode.

Aye, thinking the same. He's the right 'build' compared to other leading characters, and would explain some of the connections revealed in ep 5.

Introducing a new character in the last episode would be extraordinarily sloppy writing. Only alternative is a call-back to previous seasons but there aren't many I can think who'd fit the bill.