Line of Duty (BBC)

Stanley

Stupendously good. Cranked up the tension expertly for more than an hour to near unbearable levels before a final, cathartic burst of action.

Brilliant telly. This and The Night Manager prove the Beeb is more than a match for anyone when it comes to drama. 

It was fabulous wasn't it. With all the truly great dramas that have been out recently, River, Dr Foster, The Night Manager. And yet this though, just wow, effortlessly surpasses them all. To write a season finale containing 60 odd mins of interview scenes and make it utterly gripping. Amazing. Mercurio is so ballsy.

6 minutes ago, JPickford said:

I found the action stuff a bit daft.   Especially the way the van kept coming back so she could chase it on foot.

Great show overall though.

Yeah, he seemed to have employed the world's worst getaway driver. The rest of the episode was phenomenal, though – absolutely riveting, especially given that the vast majority of it was set in an interview room.

I've read several people say similar about the action at the end. Personally though I thought it was astounding. From the moment that text was sent it was absolutely outrageous tension and entertainment.

Regarding the Range Rover's journey, the thing with Mercurio is that every plot point has what I'd call plausible possability. Having done a lot of driving in inner cities, I was perfectly happy to believe that the driver would indeed have to take a winding course to get out of trouble, doubling back etc. Not to mention the fact that they're trying to throw off the cops and would therefore keep clear of main roads. Hell, even the 'shot' which some people don't like either, it's all perfectly plausible for a trained officer with a modern gun, with a little luck of course.

It was mostly all good, but I thought Kate's undercover work early on in the series was really badly scripted. She may as well have been walking around wearing a special "Police: Undercover" t-shirt the way she was asking questions. Worse was that no one seemed bothered about her weird and intrusive questions. And the ending was definitely a bit "well, that escalated quickly!" but I think they pulled it off ok.

2 hours ago, Sponge said:

It was mostly all good, but I thought Kate's undercover work early on in the series was really badly scripted. She may as well have been walking around wearing a special "Police: Undercover" t-shirt the way she was asking questions. Worse was that no one seemed bothered about her weird and intrusive questions. And the ending was definitely a bit "well, that escalated quickly!" but I think they pulled it off ok.

While I'm with Gizmo about the action at the end - it's teetering on the brink of implausibility but by that stage I was happy to go with it, and there's nothing that's entirely illogical - I do agree with this observation about Kate's undercover scenes in the first couple of episodes. It didn't quite find a way to organically integrate her into the squad, and so her teammates' willingness to open up to her didn't ring true, not least as they were already anxious about what had happened. I think in the grand scheme of things it's a minor quibble, because for the rest of the time* it maintained an astonishingly high standard.

*Actually, there was a brief chatting-up scene in Episode 1 that was inexplicably terrible. Think it was poor direction and acting rather than bad scripting, though. 

Having watched the finale I came looking for a thread wondering if everyone thought the show was as good as I thought it was - glad it seems so.

I remember liking the previous series but don't recall it being as good as this one, moments of genius in to for me - did I hear at the end there is another planned or did I dream that?

• 3 weeks later...

Only two pages of love for this? Jesus. 

I literally only came across this last week and then proceeded to binge watch all three seasons. 

Incredible. 

The topic of police corruption is right up my street and this ticks all the boxes if you like stuff similar to The Shield. Brilliant cast, fantastic plot and some real tense dialogue throughout.

10 hours ago, smithstock said:

Only two pages of love for this? Jesus. 

Can't do more than I have done! Otherwise people will think Mercurio is my uncle or something. It's superb drama and may even top the original Prime Suspects. At the very least it's in the same league, no higher recommendation for me. The current apex of British TV drama and proves (imo) we can still create the best TV shows in the world.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31 May 2016 at 11:53 PM, jonamok said:

Unlike Luther, LoD gets even better with each subsequent series.

This. Luther is entertaining but each season is like a bad cover version of the previous.

• 9 months later...

Cracking start to the series.

@Fierce Poodle That's the genius of Mercurio imo, he pushes the boundaries of our plausibility. For me, he always leaves just enough wiggle room to not lose his audience. So in the instance you highlight, I'm sure we all thought a similar thing. However, there's enough shock/panic in the scene setup, character and audience for us to believe he could have made an error in the moment.

19 minutes ago, strider said:

Never seen this before. The entire episode had me gripped and then the final section had me on the edge of my seat.

Dsicovered that seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix, so watched the first two episodes of that as well.

You're in for a treat then. Make sure you watch series 3 also as that is a real corker and ties the first two series together beautifully. 

I will withhold judgement on this series, one things for sure I cannot wait to see where it goes in the next episode. 

Not watched this before either. Great opening few minutes and pretty good overall but the closing scenes seemed to come from a different show. Didn't seem

plausible and shattered the suspension of disbelief.

Anyway, fun and will certainly my keep watching but I can't see it toppling my recent favourite Happy Valley.