Line of Duty (BBC)

On 28/04/2021 at 20:25, Fierce Poodle said:

Will that mean we get a “holiday special” episode where they all piss off to Spain for a week?

I'm interested in one thing and one thing only, and that's cobres doblados. 

I’ve binged this over the last few weeks. Got to the s6 finale last night! Woooooahhh. Ended in a right cliffhanger!

then I checked - there’s another one? Nice one! 

what a great - if deliriously silly - show. My highlights

Spoiler

• Season 1 I found mostly awful due to shakey camera, poor acting and so much ranting by the bobbies on the best about “elf and safety” that it felt a bit like the daily mail had written The Wire. 
  • And the stakes of s1 are so low at the start. They’re going after Lennie James for...laddering? Wtf. And they have no real reason to look into him. 

• but then season 2! Trotman vs a window! Steve shagging anything that moved! Brilliant. And Keeley Hawes bottles her neighbour. Classic 
  • season 3. Daniel Mays dying in ep 1! Dot sabotaging everything and AC12 being totally oblivious to a bent copper in their midst. A Jimmy Savile cameo! This season had it all 
  • season 4! Thandiwe Newton! Weird Dexter style forensic policeman! She loses her hand for some reason! The guy from the Swindon office is evil! 

• season 5! Hasting is H? Stephen Graham never meets Lol from This Is England! He kneecaps Hastings missus for some reason! Hastings bit on the side is a mole then almost gets killed by the T-1000.

I've only just caught up with last week's episode. Thought it was great, although I didn't really get why Kate 

Spoiler

decided to take Jo on a car chase around the city. Why not just bring her in after she killed Pilkington?

And I agree re. the Thurswell chat. Why bother

Spoiler

paying James Nesbitt to appear if he's dead? La Guardia Civil are definitely a bunch a bent coppahs, and no mistake, yah wee donkey, Jesus Christ, mother 'a God.

Spoiler

paying James Nesbitt to appear if he's dead? La Guardia Civil are definitely a bunch a bent coppahs, and no mistake, yah wee straw donkey, Jesus Christ, mother 'a God.

FIFY

On 26/04/2021 at 10:56, Gigawatt said:

Anna Maxwell-Martin is so good that it’s impossible to believe her performance as Carmichael is anything other than intentionally snide.

Hide contents

Is it just the result of a career’s worth of fighting in a man’s world to get where she is, or is she actively hampering the investigation on the Chief’s orders? 

I always got the impression from the last series that she was straight as an arrow, but they’re certainly inferring otherwise here even if it is just misdirection.

Spoiler

The way she kept shutting Ted down at the mere mention of H/4th Man/etc suggests to me she's a bent copper, but you could argue she was just trying to keep the focus of the interview on the murder of the journalist. That's no fun though, so yeah she'll try and shoot one of the main cast in the finale.

On 20/04/2021 at 12:11, KartoffelKopf said:

Has anybody genuinely got any fucking idea what is going on? Without Wikipedia on hand to look up every character and storyline from all the past series it's just a load of random words to me at the moment. 

Can't stop watching it though.

This was what I feared, but like you I was compelled to watch it this week. If you tried to draw lines between the characters mentioned from previous series it would like like a demented cat's cradle. They handily have all the faces up on the boards in AC-12 for no apparent reason than Ted probably liking to stand and stare at them. Series 7 will literally creak under the weight of tenuous references to minor characters like the woman serving coffee to DCI Tony Gates being a go-between for the OCG and Jimmy Lakewell's cousin PC Vincent Butler from series 3, dramatically revealed towards the end of episode 5.

On 30/04/2021 at 15:15, Madness said:

I’ve binged this over the last few weeks. Got to the s6 finale last night! Woooooahhh. Ended in a right cliffhanger!

then I checked - there’s another one? Nice one! 

what a great - if deliriously silly - show. My highlights

Hide contents

• Season 1 I found mostly awful due to shakey camera, poor acting and so much ranting by the bobbies on the best about “elf and safety” that it felt a bit like the daily mail had written The Wire. 
  • And the stakes of s1 are so low at the start. They’re going after Lennie James for...laddering? Wtf. And they have no real reason to look into him. 

• but then season 2! Trotman vs a window! Steve shagging anything that moved! Brilliant. And Keeley Hawes bottles her neighbour. Classic 
  • season 3. Daniel Mays dying in ep 1! Dot sabotaging everything and AC12 being totally oblivious to a bent copper in their midst. A Jimmy Savile cameo! This season had it all 
  • season 4! Thandiwe Newton! Weird Dexter style forensic policeman! She loses her hand for some reason! The guy from the Swindon office is evil! 

• season 5! Hasting is H? Stephen Graham never meets Lol from This Is England! He kneecaps Hastings missus for some reason! Hastings bit on the side is a mole then almost gets killed by the T-1000.

I'd forgotten the horrible shaky-cam from season 1. They soon ditched that.

As for the plot I reckon Mercurio watched too much 3-2-1 as a child.

I rewatched the first episode of Season 1 last night. First tried it years ago but the wife binned it and I couldn't be arsed watching it on my own. She decided to try it again after her work colleagues were banging on about it yesterday. It rattles along doesn't it? A bit too much for my liking. It's like it doesn't want you to notice how flimsy it all is. Everyone's an arsehole which doesn't help. That and Martin Compston looks like a twelve year old trying on his Dads suit.

I also can't disconnect Lennie James from Morgan. I just wanted him to twat everyone with his stick.

Episode 2 tonight.

3 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

That and Martin Compston looks like a twelve year old trying on his Dads suit.

When does he start wearing the waistcoat? I’m fairly certain he doesn’t have one originally.

On 30/04/2021 at 23:03, Jamie John said:

I've only just caught up with last week's episode. Thought it was great, although I didn't really get why Kate 

Hide contents

decided to take Jo on a car chase around the city. Why not just bring her in after she killed Pilkington?

And I agree re. the Thurswell chat. Why bother

Hide contents

paying James Nesbitt to appear if he's dead? La Guardia Civil are definitely a bunch a bent coppahs, and no mistake, yah wee donkey, Jesus Christ, mother 'a God.

In regard to the first spoiler 

Spoiler

I just assumed that she couldn't trust anyone except Steve so intended to take Jo somewhere safe.   Then later when they were traced immediately she thought that Steve had double crossed her so she was reluctant to hand over the gun.

Having said that, the joy of the show, for me, is just being carried along with every new ludicrous turn so I'm not sure that we should really try and dissect every scene in any serious way.

This seems to have the same trajectory in terms of public interest as other famous long running TV series, starts off fairly small and then gathers pace until it becomes the in-thing to watch. At least it has finally overtaken The Bodyguard as Jed Mercurio's most popular work as it is the better of the two:

The penultimate episode of Line of Duty was the show's most-watched instalment to date, with an average of 11 million viewers tuning in on Sunday night.

The most watched TV drama programme in 13 years in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56889021

This series has been very well done, they've managed to up the production on it, though it ain't quite ZeroZeroZero-tier in terms of presentation, but very little is. Upto Episode 5 now, and it's breezed by which is always a good sign. Lots of call-backs for people who've seen all of it to date.

On 27/04/2021 at 16:29, Eighthours said:

I assumed that too, otherwise it's a massive troll on the part of Mercurio.

I reckon it is.  Not inconceivable that it isn't just a cameo, especially as Nesbitt and Mercurio recently worked together on a series.

That could have worked if they hadn't already implicated him as a stooge mid-season. It might've been quite an entertaining Keyser Sozer moment.

What a bafflingly shit way to end it.

Yeah, that was massively underwhelming.

Spoiler

Basically they (AC12) ran out of time and those responsible are effectively still in charge.

Underwhelming is the word. Couldn't believe it when the postscript started flashing up - is that it? 

I get it's a cash cow but that doesn't mean they can't progress the story a bit.